POTENTIAL OF AQUEOUS OZONE FOR THE IN VITRO STERILIZATION PROCEDURE OF SOLANACEAE
Objective: This research aimed to verify the use of aqueous ozone as an alternative sterilizer for in vitro sterilization procedure.
Methods: Three species of Solanaceae were selected based on their trichomes. They are thorn apple (Datura metel L.), eggplant (Solanum melongena), and tomato (Lycopersicon pimpinellifolium). The treatment used four levels of concentrations; K0 (NaOCl – control), K1 (AO 0.1 ppm), and K2 (AO 0.5 ppm), K3 (1 ppm) and it employed three types of leaves, namely, D1 (thorn apple), D2 (eggplant), and D3 (tomato). The data were analyzed by analysis of variance univariate two factors and followed by Duncan’s multiple comparisons test.
Results: This assay showed that the effect of ozone was almost immediately against microorganisms, and the optimum ozone concentration depends on the types of the leaf. Both levels of ozone concentration and types of leaves had a significantly different effect (p<0.05), and there is no interaction between aqueous ozone concentration and types of leaves (p>0.05). The level of sterility in K0 is 77, 78%, K1 is 22, 22%, K2 is 44, 44%, and K3 is 100%. Ozone 1 ppm had the highest result, but there is no viable explant because they got damage in their cells.
Conclusions: Aqueous ozone showed good potential to inhibit the growth of microorganisms for the in vitro sterilization procedure of Solanaceae.
2. Ikenganyia E, Anikwe M, Omeje E, Adinde J. Plant tissue culture regeneration and aseptic techniques. Asian J Biotechnol Bioresour Technol 2017;1:1-6.
3. Oseni M. A review on plant tissue culture, a technique for propagation and conservation of endangered plant species. Int J Curr Microbiol Appl Sci 2018;7:3778-86.
4. Suryanti E, Mellisa D. Perbanyakan tanaman tomat dengan menggunakan BAP dan NAA secara in vitro. J Bioterdidik Wahana Ekspresi Ilmiah 2017;5:1-7.
5. Kumar N, Reedy MP. In vitro plant propagation: A review. J For Sci 2011;27:61-72.
6. Sengar RS, Chaudhary R, Tyagi SK. Present status and scope floriculture developed through different biological tools. Res J Agric Sci 2010;1:306-14.
7. Vinoth A, Ravindhran R. In vitro propagation-a potential method for plant conservation. Int J Comput Algorithm 2013;2:268-72.
8. Singh V, Tyagi A, Chauhan PK, Kumari P, Kaushal S. Identification and prevention of bacterial contimination on explant used in plant tissue culture labs. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3:160-3.
9. Omamor IB, Asemota AO, Eke CR, Eziashi EI. Fungal contaminants of the oil palm tissue culture in Nigerian institute for oil palm research (NIFOR). Afr J Agric Res 2007;2:534-7.
10. Goswami NK. In vitro sterilization protocol for micropropagation of Musa amritsagar banana. Indian J Appl Res 2013;3:51-4.
11. Winarto B, Da Silva JA. Sterilization procedure for in vitro culture of leather leaf fern. Int J Plant Dev Biol 2012;6:46-50.
12. Khatun M, Tanny T, Razzak A, Alam U, Amin YS. Standarization of In vitro sterilization procedures for micropropagation of ginger (Zingiber officinale Rosc.). Int J Appl Biol Pharm Technol 2016;7:131-7.
13. Bello O, Esan E, Obembe O. Establishing surface sterilization protocol for nodal culture of Solanecio biafrae. IOP Conf Ser Earth Environ Sci 2018;210:012007.
14. Firoz A, Udin E, Amin R, Razak A, Manik M, Khatun M. Studies on the effect of various sterilization procedure for in vitro seed germination and succesful micropropagation of Cucumis sativus. Int J Pure Appl Biosci 2016;4:75-81.
15. Zhang YQ, Wu Q, Zhang J, Yang X. Effects of ozone on membrane permeability and ultrastructure in Pseudomonas aeruginosa. J Appl Microbiol 2011;111:1006-15.
16. Rojas-Valencia MN. Research on ozone application as disinfectant and action mechanism on waste water microorganism. Sci Againts Microb Pathog 2011;1:263-71.
17. Miller F, Silva C, Brandão T. A review on ozone-based treatments for fruit and vegetables preservation. Food Eng Rev 2013;5:77-106.
18. Carletti L. Use of ozone in sanitation and storage of fresh fruits and vegetables. J Food Agric Environ 2013;11:585-9.
19. Shynkaryk M, Pyatkovskyy T, Yousef A, Sastry S. Gaseous ozone treatment of baby spinach within the existing production chain for inactivation of Eishericia coli O157:H7. J Food Eng 2016;191:10-8.
20. Fathima MK. Ozone Technology in Fruits and Vegetables. Kerala: Kerala Agriculture University Kelappaji College of Agriculture Engineering and Technology; 2013.
21. Matthes R, Bender C, Schlüter R, Koban I, Bussiahn R, Reuter S, et al. Antimicrobial efficacy of two surface barrier discharges with air plasma against in vitro biofilms. PLoS One 2013;8:70462.
22. Daeschlein G, von Woedtke T, Kindel E, Brandenburg R, Weltmann KD, Jünger M. Antibacterial activity of an atmospheric pressure plasma jet against relevant wound pathogens in vitro on a simulated wound environment. Plasma Proc Polymers 2010;7:224-30.
23. Jayanthi PD, Aurade RM, Kempraj V, Roy K, Shivashankara, KS Singh TH. Morphological diversity of trichomes and phytochemicals in wild and cultivated eggplant species. Indian J Hortic 2018;75:265-72.
24. Harisha C, Jani S. Pharmacognostical study on trichomes of Solanaceae and its significance. Univ J Pharm 2013;2:100-4.
25. Ali M, Boonerjee S, Islam MS, Mihir H, Imdadul SR. Endogenous bacterial contamination of plant tissue culture materials: Identification and control strategy. Plant Tissue Cult Biotechnol 2018;28:99-108.
26. Giordano B, Nones J, Scussel V. Susceptibility of the in-shell brazil nut mycoflora and aflatoxin contamination to ozone gas treatment during storage. J Agric Sci 2012;4:1-10.
27. Beber-Rodrigues M, Savi G, Scussel V. Ozone effect on fungi proliferation and genera susceptibility of treated stored dry paddy rice (Oryza sativa L.). J Food Saf 2014;35:59-65.
28. Hebert SC, Desir G, Giebisch G, Wang W. Molecular diversity and regulation of renal potassium channels. Physiol Rev 2005;85:319-71.
29. Komanapalli IR, Lau BH. Ozone-induced damage of Escherichia coli K-12. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 1996;46:610-4.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.