PHARMACOGNOSTICAL ASPECTS OF GLYCYRRHIZA GLABRA
Objective-Pharmacognostical evaluations like thin layer chromatography, ash value and extractive values , Hydrodistillation, powder microscopy, extraction of ammonium and calcium glycyrrhizinate was performed for licorice powder. Method- Dried powder of licorice root was extracted with ethanol by soxhlation. Ash values, extractive values and ammonium glycyrrhizinate were obtained by standard procedures. Results-Total ash value was obtained 9.33percent while acid insoluble and water soluble ash was recorded as 2.1 whereas water soluble extractive and alcohol soluble extractive value was calculated as 19.6percent w/v and 9percent w/v. 3.5percent ammonium glycyrrhizinate from 20g powder of licorice and 4percent of calcium glycyrrhizinate was obtained from the same amount. The preliminary phytochemical screening as performed in the results saponins, flavonoids, carbohydrates and phytosterols were found to be present. Conclusion-The Preliminary phytochemical, Pharmacognostical study, ammonium glycyrrhizinate and calcium glycyrrhizinate obtained can be used for evaluation of these aspects on licorice.
KEY WORDS- Pharmacognostical evaluation, ammonium and calcium glycyrrhyzinate, phytochemical screening.
2. Conn. J.W. Rower, D.R. and Cohen, E.L. J. Am. Med. Assoc.1968; 205: 80-84.
3. Isbrucker,RA. Burdock, GA. Risk and safety assessment on the consumption of Licorice root (Glycyrrhiza sp.), its extract and powder as a food ingredient, with emphasis on the pharmacology and toxicology of glycyrrhizin.
4. Kataria R. and Hemraj, Singh G, Gupta A, Jalhan S, Jindal A. Pharmacological Activities On Glycyrrhiza Glabra â€“A Review. Asian J Pharm Clin Res, Vol 6, Suppl 1, 2013, 5-7.
5. Ayurvedic pharmacopoeia of India Part-I vol.I, 168-169.
6. Indian Herbal Pharmacopoeia revised new edition 2002.Page 243.
7. Khandelwal, Pawar, Kokate CK, Gokhle. Practical pharmacognosyâ€™ Technique an experiments, Nirali Prakashan,pune 3rd edition.1996; 1-45.
8. Farnsworth NR. Biological and phytochemical screening of plants. J. Pharm Sci.1966; 55: 225-286.
9. Kokate C. K. Practical pharmacognosy. Fourth edition. Vallabh Prakashan, Pitampura, delhi.1994.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.