METHOD DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION FOR THE DETERMINATION OF RESIDUAL SOLVENTS IN OMEPRAZOLE API BY USING HEADSPACE GAS CHROMATOGRAPHY
Residual solvents in pharmaceutical samples are monitored using gas chromatography with head space. Based on good manufacturing practices, measuring residual solvents is mandatory for the release testing of all active pharmaceutical ingredients (API). The analysis of residual organic solvents (methanol, ethanol, acetone and toluene) in Omeprazole API was investigated. Omeprazole is a potent reversible inhibitor of the gastric proton pump H+/K+-ATPase. The Head space gas chromatography (HSGC) method described in this investigation utilized a DB - 624, 30 m long x 0.32 mm internal diameter, 1.8 Î¼m thick column. Since Omeprazole is a thermally labile compound, the selection of the proper injector temperature is critical to the success of the analysis. The injector temperature was set at 180Â°C to prevent degradation. The initial oven temperature was set at 50Â°C for 10 min and programmed at a rate of 30Â°C minâˆ’1 to a final temperature of 200Â°C for 10 min. Nitrogen was used as a carrier gas and flame ionization detector was used. N,N-dimethyl formamide was selected as a diluent. The method was validated according to ICH guidelines and found to be specific, linear i.e.,C.C is 0.998, precise, percentRSD of each analyte is less than 8percentÂ , sensitive, rugged and showed excellent recovery.Â Â
Key words: Â Headspace-gas chromatography, Omeprazole, Method validation, ResidualÂ Â solvents
2. Hymer C.B., 2003. Residual solvent testing: A review of gas chromatographic and alternative techniques. Pharm Res., Vol 23, pp 337-344.
3. Raghani A.R. 2002. High speed gas chromatographic analysis of solvents in pharmaceutical using solid phase micro extraction. Journal of Pharmaceutical Biomedical Analysis. Vol. 29, pp 507â€“518.
4. Kumaraswamy D., Stephenrathinaraj B., 2010. Process Validation of Analytical Method Development and Validation for Omeprazole Capsules and Blend. Journal of Chromatographic analysis, Vol. 66, Issue5, pp 234- 237
5. Puranik S.B, Sanjay P.N and Rao G.K., 2009. Determination of Organic Volatile Impurities in Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients. The Internet Journal of Pharmacology, Vol 6, Issue2, pp 448- 456.
6. Jacobsa P., DewÃ©b W., Flamenta A., Gibellaa M., Ceccato A., 2006. A new validation approach applied to the GC determination of impurities in organic solvents.Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. Vol 40, Issue2, 13, pp 294â€“304
7. Kaleemullah T., Mansur A., Sharma H., 2011. Development and validation of gas chromatography method for low level detection of residual Methyl chloride, Ethyl chloride and Isopropyl chloride in Ziprasidone hydrochloride. Der Pharma Chemica. Vol 3, Issue 6, pp 390-399.
8. Cristina I., Marius B., Sorin E., 2009 , Development of a validated RP-HPLC method for separation and determination of process related impurities of omeprazole in bulk drugs. Farmacia, Vol. 57, Isssue5, pp 376 â€“ 382.
9. Anand N., Suryanarayana M.V., Bindu V.H., Madhavan P., 2010. A practical HPLC approach for the determination of trace level drug related substances in effluent. J. Chem. Pharm. Res., Vol. 2 Issue 5, pp 21-28.
10. Pandey S.K., Kim K.H., 2009. Simultaneous determination of odorous volatile organic compounds with gas chromatography and a thermal disorder: A case study on methyl ethyl ketone, methyl isobutyl ketone, butyl acetate, toluene, and xylene. Original Research Article Micro chemical Journal, Vol. 91, Issue 2, pp 245-252.
11. Shukla A., Jat A.K., Sharma P. and Patel Y., Development and validation of a headspace gas chromatographic method for the determination of residual solvents in levetiracetam (API)â€™. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Research, Vol 2, Issue5 pp 1270-1275
12. Zhu H., Zhigang Lu, Cai J., Li J., Gao L., 2009. â€˜Development of a headspaceâ€“SPMEâ€“GC/MS method to determine volatile organic compounds released from textilesâ€™. Original Research Article Polymer Testing, Vol 28 Issue 5, pp 521-527.
13. Ghulam A.S., 2003. Validation of high- performance liquid chromatography methods for pharmaceutical analysis understanding the differences and similarities between validation requirements of the US Food and Drug Administration, the US Pharmacoepia and the International Conference on Harmonization. Journal of Chromatography, Vol 34 Issue 2, pp 216- 223.
14. Katakam Prakash, Karanam R. Sireesha., 2012. â€˜Liquid Chromatigraphic Method For Simultaneous Determination Of Lomefloxacin Hydrochloride And Dexamethasone Sodium Phosphate In Eye Dropsâ€™. Asian Journal Of Pharmaceutical And Clinical Research, Vol 5 Issue 1, pp 79-82.
15. Shrivastava Alankar, 2009. â€˜A Review On Peppermint Oilâ€™ Asian Journal Of Pharmaceutical And Clinical Researchâ€™ Vol 2, Issue 2, pp 27-33.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.