EFFECT OF AQUEOUS EXTRACT OF PEEL OF CITRUS SINENSIS ON FROG'S HEART
Objectives: To evaluate the cardiotonic action of aqueous extract of the peel of Citrus sinensis and also to know the effect in the presence of propranolol,
nifedipine, and verapamil.
Methods: We studied the cardiotonic effect of citrus peel extracts on isolated frog heart perfusion technique alone and also with a continuous infusion
with calcium channel blockers and a beta blocker. The aqueous extract obtained by drying the peel of citrus and then adding the powder form in
Results: Aqueous extract produced positive ionotropic action on frog heart and its effect antagonized by propranolol but neither by nifedipine nor
Conclusion: Aqueous extract of peels of C. sinensis has cardiotonic activity and the cardiotonic effect produced by citrus may be due to having beta
Keywords: Digoxin, Cardiac stimulant, Isolated frog's heart, Citrus sinensis.
2. Beller GA, Smith TW, Abelmann WH, Haber E, Hood WB Jr. Digitalis
intoxication. A prospective clinical study with serum level correlations.
N Engl J Med 1971;284(18):989-97.
3. Kitada Y, Narimatsu A, Suzuki R, Endoh M, Taira N. Does the
positive inotropic action of a novel cardiotonic agent, MCI-154,
involve mechanisms other than cyclic AMP? J Pharmacol Exp Ther
4. Suchalatha S, Thirugnanasambandam P, Maheswaran E, Shyamala
Devi CS. Role of Arogh, a polyherbal formulation to mitigate oxidative
stress in experimental myocardial infarction. Indian J Exp Biol
5. Ekwenye UN, Edeha OV. The antibacterial activity of crude leaf extract
of Citrus sinensis sweet orange. Int J Pharm Biol Sci 2010;1:742.
6. Parmar HS, Kar A. Antidiabetic potential of Citrus sinensis and
Punica granatum peel extracts in alloxan treated male mice. Biofactors
7. Oliveira ED, Leite TS, Silva BA, Conde-Garcia EA. Inotropic effect of
Citrus sinensis (L.) Osbeck leaf extracts on the guinea pig atrium. Braz
J Med Biol Res 2005;38(1):111-8.
8. Parmar HS, Kar A. Antiperoxidative, antithyroidal, antihyperglycemic
and cardioprotective role of Citrus sinensis peel extract in male mice.
Phytother Res 2008;22(6):791-5.
9. Asgary S, Keshvari M. Effects of Citrus sinensis juice on blood
pressure. ARYA Atheroscler 2013;9(1):98-101.
10. Bachhav KV, Burande MD, Rangari VD, Mehta JK. Effect of aqueous
extract of Ipomoea carnea leaf on isolated frog and mouse heart. Indian
J Exp Biol 1999;37(11):1080-4.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.