DEVELOPMENT OF VALUE ADDED PRODUCTS (BUN, MUFFIN, NOODLES AND NUGGETS) BY SUBSTITUTION WITH CARISSA SPINARUM AND FICUS CARICA POWDER
Â In the present investigation attempts have been made to develop nutrient rich value added products (bun, muffin, noodles and nuggets) by the substitution of Carissa spinarum and Ficus carica powder in the proportion (100:0, 100:15, 100:30, 100:45).The nutritional composition, dietary fibre composition and mineral composition of ( bun, muffin, noodles and nuggets) and organoleptic evaluation forÂ bun and muffin (made with fresh whole fruits )were investigated by standard selected Â methods. Result revealed that after the substitution of selected fruits inÂ formulated value added products the nutritional composition (moisture, ash, carbohydrates, protein and fat content),dietary fiber ( NDF, ADF, hemicellulose, cellulose and lignin content ) and mineral composition (calcium, iron and phosphorus) will increased. The organoleptic test showed thatÂ the substitution of 15Â per cent freshÂ Carissa spinarum and 30 per cent of Ficus carica were more acceptable in case of bun and muffins.
2. Krishnaswamy, K. The problem and consequences of the double burden - A brief overview Programme and abstracts, Symposium on Nutritional Security for India-Issues an Way Forward, Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi, 2009 ;5-6.
3. AOAC,Official method of analysis international .Spectrophotometric method, 2000; 7 (2):161-4.
4. Hedge, J. E. Hofreiter, B. T. In: Carbohydrate Chemistry its stability in model systems. New York Academic Press, Journal of Food Science and Technology, 1962; 30(4), 246-8.
5. Van, P. J., Robertson, J. B. What is fiber and fiber in food? Nutrition Review, 1977;35: 12.
6. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. Department of Ayurveda yoga and neuropathy, Unani siddha homoeopathy, New Delhi, First edition (AYUSH) 2008; VI (1), 340.
7. Schutz, H. G., and Cardello, A. V. A labeled affective magnitude (LAM) scale for assessing food liking/disliking. Journal of Sensory Studies 2001; 16: 117â€“159.
8. Alam, M.J., Talukder, M.U., Rahman, M.N . Evaluation of the nutritional and sensory quality of functional breads prepared from whole wheat and soyabean flour, Annals. Food Science and Technology 2013; 14(2):171-175.
9. Kawka,A., Gorecka, D., Gasiorowski, H. The effects of commercial barley flakes on dough characteristic and bread composition. Food Science and Technology 1999; 2(2).
10. Alam, M.J., Talukder, M.U., Rahman, M.N . Evaluation of the nutritional and sensory quality of functional breads prepared from whole wheat and soyabean flour, Annals. Food Science and Technology 2013; 14(2):171-175.
11. Albers,S. Muchova,Z. Fikselova,M. The effects of different treated brans additions on bread quality.Scientia Agriculture Biochemical 2009; 40(2):67-72.
12. Sudha, M.L., Vetrimani, R., Leelavathi, K. Influence of fibre from different cereals on
the rheological characteristics of wheat flour dough and on biscuit quality. Food Chemistry 2007;100:1365â€“70.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.