ANALYTICAL VALIDATION OF CLOPIDOGREL IN HUMAN PLASMA THROUGH ULTRAHIGHPERFORMANCE LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY-TANDEM MASS SPECTROMETRY
Objective: This study developed a sensitive, selective, and valid method for analyzing clopidogrel in human plasma using liquid chromatographytandem
mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS).
Methods: The chromatography separation was performed on the waters ACQUITY UPLC Class BEH C18 1.7 Î¼m (2.1 Ã— 100 mm) column, consisting of
0.1% formic acid in water and 0.1% formic acid in acetonitrile (30-70) as the mobile phase, and an isocratic elution with a flow rate of 0.2 mL/minutes.
The mass detection was performed using a Waters Xevo TQD equipped with positive electrospray ionization in the multiple reaction monitoring
modes. The clopidogrel was detected at m/z 322.086>212.097 and irbesartan as an internal standard at m/z 429.233>207.131. The sample was
prepared with protein precipitation method using acetonitrile, vortex mixed for 10 minutes, and centrifuged at 13,000 rpm for 20 minutes.
Results: This method showed a linear result at the concentration range of 0.2-10 ng/ml with râ‰¥0.9997.
Conclusions: The developed method provides sensitivity, linearity, precision, and accuracy and is suitable for analysis of clopidogrel in human plasma
Pharmacotherapy A Pathophysiologic Approach. 3rd ed. New York: The
McGraw-Hill Companies. Inc.; 2008.
2. Brunton LL, Chabner B, Knollmann BC, editors. Goodman & Gilmanâ€™s
the Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. New York: McGraw-Hill
3. Robinson A, Hillis J, Neal C, Leary AC. The validation of a bio
analytical method for the determination of clopidogrel in human plasma.
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2007;848(2):344-54.
4. Nirogi RV, Kandikere VN, Shukla M, Mudigonda K, Maurya S,
Boosi R. Quantification of clopidogrel in human plasma by sensitive
liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun
Mass Spectrom 2006;20(11):1695-700.
5. Shin BS, Yoo SD. Determination of clopidogrel in human plasma by
liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry: Application to a
clinical pharmacokinetic study. Biomed Chromatogr 2007;21(9):883-9.
6. European Medicines Agency. CHMP efficacy working party
therapeutic subgroup on pharmacokinetics (EWP-PK). Guideline on
the Investigation of Bioequivalence (Draft). London: An Agency of the
European Union; 2008.
7. European Medicines Agency. CHMP efficacy working party
therapeutic subgroup on pharmacokinetics (EWP-PK). Guideline on the
Investigation of Bioequivalence. London: An Agency of the European
8. Food and Drug Administration. Guidance for Industry: Bioanalytical
Method Validation. United States of America: Department of Health
and Human Services; 2013.
9. Karazniewicz-Lada M, Danielak D, Tezyk A, Zaba C, Tuffal G,
GlÃ³wka F. HPLC-MS/MS method for the simultaneous determination
of clopidogrel, its carboxylic acid metabolite and derivatized isomers
of thiol metabolite in clinical samples. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol
Biomed Life Sci 2012;911:105-2.
10. Kruve A, Leito I. Comparison of different methods aiming to account
for/overcome matrix effects in LC/ESI/MS on the example of pesticide
analyses. Anal Methods 2013;5:3035-44.
11. Henriques ST, Castanho MA. Environmental factors that enhance the
action of the cell penetrating peptide pep-1 a spectroscopic study using
lipidic vesicles. Biochim Biophys Acta 2005;1669(2):75-86.
12. Marangon E, Posocco B, Mazzega E, Toffoli G. Development and
validation of a high-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass
spectrometry method for the simultaneous determination of irinotecan
and its main metabolites in human plasma and its application in a
clinical pharmacokinetic study. PLoS One 2015;10(2):e0118194.
Fig. 4: Representative multiple reaction monitoring chromatograms of the plasma blank
167 Int J App Pharm, Special Issue (October) Harahap et al.
13. Ciaffoni L, Hancock G, Harrison JJ, van Helden JP, Langley CE,
Peverall R, et al. Demonstration of a mid-infrared cavity enhanced
absorption spectrometer for breath acetone detection. Anal Chem
14. Chico J, Holthoon F, Zuidema T. Ion suppression study for tetracyclines in feed. Chromatogr Res Int 2012;2012:135854.
15. Panuwet P, Hunter RE Jr, Dâ€™Souza PE, Chen X, Radford SA,
Cohen JR, et al. Biological matrix effects in quantitative tandem mass
spectrometry-based analytical methods: Advancing biomonitoring. Crit Rev Anal Chem 2016;46(2):93-105.