SYNTHESIS OF COPPER AND MANGANESE COMPLEXES WITH METHIONINE AND TRYPTOPHAN: ANALYSIS BY ATOMIC ABSORPTION SPECTROPHOTOMETRY
Objective: In this study, we aimed to create complexes consisting of copper and manganese mineral elements and amino acids.
Methods: We determined the mineral element levels both bound and in their free state using atomic absorption spectrophotometry. The synthesized
complexes were characterized using infrared spectrophotometry, while the free and bound mineral contents were separated using ion exchange
Results: Our results demonstrated that the synthesis of such complexes was successful. The free mineral contents of the copper-methionine, coppertryptophan,
and manganese-methionine complexes were 4.52, 6.53, and 0.056 mg/kg, respectively, while the bound mineral contents of the coppermethionine,
copper-tryptophan, manganese-methionine, and manganese-tryptophan complexes were 96.885, 114.974, 57.778, and 49.624 mg/kg,
Conclusion: The synthesis of copper and manganese complexes were successfully formed and analysis.
systems and methods of analysis. Indones J Agric 2008;27:99-101.
2. Soetan KO, Olaiya CO, Oyewole OE. The importance of mineral
elements for humans, domestic animals and plants: A review. Afr J
Food Sci 2010;4:200-22.
3. Pal DT, Gowda NK, Prasad CS, Amarnath R, Bharadwaj U, Suresh
Babu G, et al. Effect of copper-and zinc-methionine supplementation
on bioavailability, mineral status and tissue concentrations of copper
and zinc in ewes. J Trace Elem Med Biol 2010;24:89-94.
4. Temitayo A, Isaac O, Olugbenga A. Structural and antimicrobial studies
of cooerdination compounds of phenylalanine and glycine. Int J Chem
5. Puritanâ€™s Pride. Available from: http://www.puritan.com/mineralproducts-
036/copper-chelate-2-mg-001330. [Last accessed on
2016 Oct 19].
6. Tanila A, Marcu A, Rusu D, Rusu M, David L. Spectroscopic studies
of some Copper(II) complexes with amino acids. J Mol Struct
7. Mamun MA, Ahmed O, Bakshi PK, Ehsan MQ. Synthesis and
spectroscopic, magnetic, and cyclic voltammetric characterization of
some metal complexes of methionine: [(C5H10NO2S)2MII]; = Mn(II),
Co(II), Ni(II), Cu(II), Zn(II), Cd(II), and Hg(II). J Saudi Chem Soc
8. Tokalioglu S, Kartal S, Elci L. Speciation and determination of heavy
metals in lake waters by atomic absorption spectrometry after sorption
on amberlite XAD-16 resin. Anal Sci 2000;16:49-53.
9. Chae YS, Vacik JP, Shelver WH. Determination of copper and manganese
in Vitamin-mineral tablets by atomic absorption spectrophotometry.
J Pharm Sci 1973;62:1838-41.
10. Batista Ã‰F, Augusto Ados S, Pereira-Filho ER. Chemometric evaluation
of Cd, Co, Cr, Cu, Ni (inductively coupled plasma optical emission
spectrometry) and Pb (graphite furnace atomic absorption spectrometry)
concentrations in lipstick samples intended to be used by adults and
children. Talanta 2016;150:206-12.
11. Raimon J. Comparison of Methods of Wet and Dry Destruction by
Spectrophotometry. Yogyakarta: Santika; 1993.