PIPERINE IN THE PREVENTION OF THE DECREASED TAMOXIFEN SENSITIVITY IN MCF-7 BREAST CANCER CELL LINE
Objective: This study was designed to analyze the role of piperine in modulating P-glycoprotein mRNA expression when added in combination with
tamoxifen to breast cancer cells in culture.
Methods: MCF-7 breast cancer cells were treated with 1 Î¼M tamoxifen with or without piperine (12.5, 25, or 50 Î¼M) or verapamil 50 Î¼M (P-glycoprotein
inhibitor positive control) for up to 12 days. We assessed the cell viability and isolated total RNA from them. We quantified P-glycoprotein expressions
using quantitative reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction.
Results: Administration of various doses of piperine decreased MCF-7 breast cancer cell viability. Piperine, when given in combination with tamoxifen,
decreased the expression of P-glycoprotein mRNA in cells compared with the expression in cells treated with tamoxifen only. The effects were shown
to be dose dependent.
Conclusion: Piperine prevents the development of breast cancer cell tamoxifen resistance, probably through its inhibition of P-glycoprotein expression.
Allen C, Barber RM, Barregard L, Bhutta ZA, et al. Global, regional,
and national cancer incidence, mortality, years of life lost, years lived
with disability, and disability-adjusted life-years for 32 cancer groups,
1990 to 2015: A systematic analysis for the global burden of disease
study. JAMA Oncol 2017;3:524-48.
2. Apuri S. Neoadjuvant and adjuvant therapies for breast cancer. South
Med J 2017;110:638-42.
3. Nabholtz JM, Buzdar A, Pollak M, Harwin W, Burton G, Mangalik A,
et al. Anastrozole is superior to tamoxifen as first-line therapy for
advanced breast cancer in postmenopausal women: Results of a North
American multicenter randomized trial. Arimidex study group. J Clin
4. Mouridsen H, Gershanovich M, Sun Y, PÃ©rez-CarriÃ³n R, Boni C,
Monnier A, et al. Superior efficacy of letrozole versus tamoxifen as
first-line therapy for postmenopausal women with advanced breast
cancer: Results of a Phase III study of the international letrozole breast
cancer group. J Clin Oncol 2001;19:2596-606.
5. Eckford PD, Sharom FJ. ABC efflux pump-based resistance to
chemotherapy drugs. Chem Rev 2009;109:2989-3011.
6. Harmsen S, Meijerman I, Febus CL, Maas-Bakker RF, Beijnen JH,
Schellens JH, et al. PXR-mediated induction of P-glycoprotein by
anticancer drugs in a human colon adenocarcinoma-derived cell line.
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2010;66:765-71.
7. Amin ML. P-glycoprotein inhibition for optimal drug delivery. Drug
Target Insights 2013;7:27-34.
8. Bansal T, Jaggi M, Khar RK, Talegaonkar S. Emerging significance
of flavonoids as P-glycoprotein inhibitors in cancer chemotherapy.
J Pharm Pharm Sci 2009;12:46-78.
9. Abdallah HM, Al-Abd AM, El-Dine RS, El-Halawany AM.
P-glycoprotein inhibitors of natural origin as potential tumor chemosensitizers:
A review. J Adv Res 2015;6:45-62.
10. Aher S, Biradar S, Gopu CL, Paradkar A. Novel pepper extract
for enhanced P-glycoprotein inhibition. J Pharm Pharmacol
11. Singh A, Duggal S. Piperine-review of advances in pharmacology. Int J
Pharm Sci Nanotech 2009;2:615-20.
12. Louisa M, Sugiarti L, Kurniawan SV, Wanandi SI. Curcumin increases
anti-cancer activity of tamoxifen in MCF-7 breast cancer cells
through the suppression of MDR1 mRNA expression. Adv Sci Lett
13. Livak KJ, Schmittgen TD. Analysis of relative gene expression data
using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(-delta delta C(T)) method.
14. Yang K, Wu J, Li X. Recent advances in the research of P-glycoprotein
inhibitors. Biosci Trends 2008;2:137-46.
15. Lykkesfeldt AE, Madsen MW, Briand P. Altered expression of
estrogen-regulated genes in a tamoxifen-resistant and ICI 164,384 and
ICI 182,780 sensitive human breast cancer cell line, MCF-7/TAMR-1.
Cancer Res 1994;54:1587-95.
16. Lin JH. Drug-drug interaction mediated by inhibition and induction of P-glycoprotein. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 2003;55:53-81.
17. Purushothaman A, Nandhakumar E, Sachdanandam P. Anticancer effect
of shemamruthaa (a phytochemical formulation) on 7, 12-dimethybenz
(a) anthracene induced mammary carcinoma in rats. Asian J Pharm Clin
18. Tapadiya G, Metku M, Deokate U, Khadabadi S, Saboo S, Sahu K.
Quantitatives estimation of piperine from pharmaceutical dosage form
by HPTLC. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2009;2:47-50.
19. Patel S, Vyas N. Validated spectrofluorimetric method for estimation of
piperine in an ayurvedic formulation. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5:231-3.
20. Callaghan R, Higgins CF. Interaction of tamoxifen with the multidrug
resistance P-glycoprotein. Br J Cancer 1995;71:294-9.
21. Li S, Lei Y, Jia Y, Li N, Wink M, Ma Y, et al. Piperine, a piperidine
alkaloid from Piper nigrum re-sensitizes P-gp, MRP1 and BCRP
dependent multidrug resistant cancer cells. Phytomedicine
22. Bhardwaj RK, Glaeser H, Becquemont L, Klotz U, Gupta SK, Fromm MF,
et al. Piperine, a major constituent of black pepper, inhibits human
P-glycoprotein and CYP3A4. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2002;302:645-50.
23. Han Y, Chin Tan TM, Lim LY. In vitro and in vivo evaluation of the
effects of piperine on P-gp function and expression. Toxicol Appl
24. Beck WT, Grogan TM, Willman CL, Cordon-Cardo C, Parham DM,
Kuttesch JF, et al. Methods to detect P-glycoprotein-associated
multidrug resistance in patientsâ€™ tumors: Consensus recommendations.
Cancer Res 1996;56:3010-20.