SYNTHESIS AND ANALYSIS OF ZINC-METHIONINE, ZINC-TRYPTOPHAN, COPPER-LYSINE, AND COPPER-ISOLEUCINE COMPLEXES USING ATOMIC ABSORPTION SPECTROPHOTOMETRY
Objective: This study aimed to synthesize an organic form of Zn and Cu to then produce metal complexes with amino acids, as well as to analyze the
free and bound metal content of the complexes.
Methods: In this study, the synthesis methods for zinc-methionine (Zn(Met)2), zinc-tryptophan (ZnTrp), copper-lysine (Cu(Lys)2), and copperisoleucine
(Cu(Ile)2) complexes were based on previous studies. Sample verification was conducted using Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy,
which can determine the stretched spectra produced by the complexes. In addition, atomic absorption spectrophotometry was used to analyze the
metal content of the complexes.
Results: The yields gained from the synthesis of Zn(Met)2, ZnTrp, Cu(Lys)2, and Cu(Ile)2 complexes were 95.99%, 94.18%, 91.89%, and 95.73%,
respectively, with a maximum metal content of 199.51, 246.98, 176.99, and 189.75 mg/g, respectively.
Conclusion: The mineral concentration of each complex differed, depending on the type of mineral and ligand.
analysis methods. J Litbang Pertanian 2008;27:99-105.
2. Otten J, Hellwig J, Meyers L. DRI, Dietary reference intakes.
Washington, DC: National Academies Press; 2006.
3. Osorio JS, Trevisi E, Li C, Drackley JK, Socha MT, Loor JJ, et al.
Supplementing Zn, Mn, and Cu from amino acid complexes and co
from cobalt glucoheptonate during the peripartal period benefits
postpartal cow performance and blood neutrophil function. J Dairy Sci
4. Pal DT, Gowda NK, Prasad CS, Amarnath R, Bharadwaj U, Suresh
Babu G, et al. Effect of copper-and zinc-methionine supplementation
on bioavailability, mineral status and tissue concentrations of copper
and zinc in ewes. J Trace Elem Med Biol 2010;24:89-94.
5. Garcia R, BÃ¡ez AP. Atomic Absorption Spectrometry. In: Farrukh MA,
editor. Rijeka, Croatia: InTech; 2012. p. 1-12.
6. Bais S, Chandewar A. Toxicological standardization marketed
ashwagandha formulations by atomic absorption spectroscopy. Asian J
Pharm Clin Res 2013;6:45-8.
7. Margata L, Silalahi J, Harahap U, Satria D. The effect of dietary oild
and hydrolyzed coconut oil on minerals absorption in rats. Asian J
Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:185-90.
8. Murugi NJ, Piero NM, Mwtiti KC, Joseph NN, Mwaniki NE,
Wilson NM, et al. Hypoglycemic effects of Caesalpinia volkensii on
alloxan-induced diabetic mice. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5:69-74.
9. Mamun M, Ahmed O, Bakshi P, Ehsan M. Synthesis and spectroscopic,
magnetic and cyclic voltammetric characterization of some metal
complexes of methionine: [(C5H10NO2S)2MII]; MII=Mn(II), Co(II),
Ni(II), Cu(II), Zn(II), Cd(II) and Hg(II). J Saudi Chem Soc 2010;14:23-31.
10. Min Y, Zheng F, Chen Y, Zhang Y. The synthesis and characterization
of Zn-tryptophan complexes and their luminescence properties. J Mater
Science-Mater El 2011;23:1116-21.