FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF TELMISARTAN FAST DISSOLVING TABLETS USING JACK FRUIT SEED STARCH AS SUPERDISINTEGRANT
Objective: The main objective of the current study is to enhance the solubility of Biopharmaceutical Classification System (BCS) Class-II drug Telmisartan using jack fruit seed starch as super disintegrant which increases drug release.
Methods: Starches were extracted using alkali technique using sodium hydroxide at 0.1%, 0.25%, and 0.5% concentrations and water from Jack fruit seed powder. These starches were evaluated for various phytochemical and physicochemical tests. Fast dissolving tablets were prepared using Telmisartan, jack fruit seed starch and Croscarmellose sodium in various concentrations using wet granulation technique. Various pre and post-compression parameters were evaluated along with in vitro drug release studies, characterization studies like Fourier Transform Infra-Red spectroscopy (FTIR), Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC), Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM), X-Ray Diffraction (XRD) and accelerated stability studies.
Results: Phytochemical tests revealed the presence of only starch in all the extracts. The starch prepared from 0.1% sodium hydroxide (JFS2) showed best physicochemical properties. From in vitro dissolution studies, it was observed that formulations F5 and F11 containing 15% w/w of JFS2 and 15% w/w of croscarmellose sodium showed faster disintegration and increased dissolution rate compared with other formulations. FTIR and DSC studies showed that there were no major interactions among drug and excipients. XRD studies revealed the nature of formulations. Accelerated stability studies revealed the stability of tablets.
Conclusion: Thus, the tablets prepared using Jack fruit seed starch revealed the super disintegrant property of starch.
2. Sreenivas SA, Gadad AP, Patil MB. Formulation and evaluation of ondansetron hydrochloride directly compressed mouth dissolving tablets. Indian Drugs 2006;43:35-7.
3. Bhowmik D, Chiranjib B, Yadav J, Chandira RM, Sampath KP. Emerging trends of disintegrants used in formulation of solid dosage form. Schol Res Lib 2010;2:495-504.
4. Sunada H, Bi Y. Preparation, evaluation and optimization of rapidly disintegrating tablets. Powder Technol 2002;122:188-98.
5. Dey SK, Rahman M, Ahmed A, Khatun A, Siraj A. Phytochemical screening and pharmacological activities of jack fruit seeds. Int J Appl Res Nat Prod 2013;6:34-9.
6. Furie KL. High dose statins should only be used in atherosclerotic strokes. Stroke 2012;43:1994-5.
7. Fateatun N, Jiaur RM, Sultan MM, Sorifa A, Aminul IT, Ahmed M. Physicochemical properties of flour and extraction of starch from Jack fruit seed. Int J Nutr Food Sci 2014;3:347-54.
8. Menaka T, Nagaraja G, Yogesh DB, Sunil Kumar US, Prakash L. Physicochemical properties of flour and isolated starch from Jackfruit seeds (Artocarpus Heterophyllus). Res J Pharm Sci 2011;1:14-8.
9. Okunlola A, Odeku OA. Comparative evaluation of starches obtained from Dioscorea species as intragranular tablet disintegrants. J Drug Delivery Sci Technol 2008;18:445-7.
10. Biraju P, Dhaval P, Ramesh P, Chirag P, Tejas S, Sanja SD. Development and in vitro evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of glipizide. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2009;1:15-8.
11. Shukla D, Subhashis C, Sanjay S, Brahmeshwar M. Mouth dissolving tablets II: an overview of evaluation techniques. Pharm Sci 2009;77:327–41.
12. Kalindi C, Rakesh S, Shivani S. A review on fast dissolving tablet. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;6:1-7.
13. Prasanna LA, Anand KM, Vamsi KM, Annie VK, Ashwini G. Formulation and development of irbesartan (Poorly Water Soluble Drug) immediate release tablets. Int Res J Pharm 2012;3:34-7.
14. Roy CPA, Bhattacharyya AK, Chattopadhyay P. Study on functional properties of raw and blended Jackfruit seed flour (a non-conventional source) for food application. Indian J Nat Prod Res 2012;3:56-9.
15. Uphadek B, Shinkar DM, Patil PB, Saudagar RB. Moringa oleifera as a pharmaceutical excipient. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2018;10:13-6.
16. Sanjaymitra PVSS, Ganesh GNK. Dissolution and solubility enhancement strategies: current and novel prospectives. J Crit Rev 2018;5:1-10.
17. Gopinath E. Evaluation of Musa acuminata fruit as a natural superdisintegrant fro tablet formulation. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:167-71.
18. Reecha M, Rajni B, Tejeswini V, Ritima S, Shivali G. Formulation and characterization of matrix tablets using mucilage of Tinospora cordifolia as natural binder. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:22-7.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.