PREPARATION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF ANCHOVY (STOLEPHORUS SP) PROTEIN CONCENTRATE NANOPARTICLE USING IONIC GELATION METHOD
Objective: Nanoparticle preparation can increase the bioavailability of anchovy protein. This study aims to optimize and characterize anchovy protein concentrate nanoparticle based on volume comparison of chitosan-TPP (Tripolyphosphate) matrix in forming the size of anchovy protein concentrate nanoparticle with ionic gelation method.
Methods: Fresh anchovy was extracted by an acid-base method using solvents of NaOH and HCl to get protein concentrate. After that, it was conducted by formulating anchovy protein concentrate into a mixture of chitosan-TPP matrix with volume ratio which was divided into 5 series of variations, namely F1 without matrix, F2 1:1, F3 1:3, F4 1:5 and F5 1:7 ratio of chitosan to TPP, then formed matrix was determined the value of the encapsulation efficiency and characterized using a particle size analysis tool.
Results: The results showed that the optimum volume comparison of the chitosan-TPP matrix in forming nanoparticle of anchovy protein concentrate was ratio 1:7 because this has a matrix encapsulation efficiency value of 99.11%, a small particle concentrate size of 687.26 nm, a good polydispersity index value of 0.406 and a value of zeta potential of+12.9 mV.
Conclusion: The optimum formula of the chitosan-TPP matrix volume ratio in forming anchovy protein concentrate nanoparticle is F5 with the ratio of chitosan-TPP matrix mixture 1:7.
2. Oktasari T, Suparmi, Karnila R. Isolation of gurame fish (Osphronemus gurammy) protein using different pH method. JOM 2015;2:1-12.
3. Anggo AD, Maruf WF, Swastawati F, Rianingsih L. Changes of amino and fatty acids in anchovy (Stolephorus sp) fermented fish paste with different fermentation periods. Procedia Environ Sci 2015;23:58-63.
4. Katili AS. Structure and function of collagen protein. Rainbow Sci J 2009;2:19-29.
5. Mackay D, Miller AL. Nutritional support for wound healing. J Clin Ther 2003;8:359-77.
6. Tungadi R, Susanty W, Wicita P, Pido E. Transdermal delivery of snakehead fish (Ophiocephalus striatus) nanoemulgel containing hydrophobic powder for burn wound. Pharm Sci 2018;24:313-23.
7. Tungadi R, Imran Ak. Formulation development and characterization of snakehead fish powder in an oral double emulsion. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:70-5.
8. Sinha VR, Kaur MP. Permeation enhancer for transdermal drug delivery. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2000;26:1131-40.
9. Tungadi R, Abdulkadir W, Ischak N, Rahim B. Liposomal formulation of snakehead fish (Ophiocephalus striatus) powder and toxicity study in zebrafish (Danio rerio) model. Pharm Sci 2019;25:145-53.
10. Nakorn PNA. Chitin nanowhisker and chitosan nanoparticles in protein immobilization for biosensor applications. J Metals Materials Minerals 2008;18:73.
11. Erdawati Chitosan and Nanomagnetic Chitosan adsorption capacity for Ni (II) ions. proceedings of the national seminar on science and technology II. Lampung University; 2008. p. 248-56.
12. Baroli B, Ennas MG, Loffredo F, Isola M, Pinna R, Quintela MAL. Penetration of metalic nanoparticles in human full-thickness skin. J Investig Dermatol 2007;127:1701-12.
13. Singh A, Deep A. Formulation and evaluation of nanoparticles containing losartan potassium. Int J Pharm Res Technol 2011;1:17-20.
14. Agnihotri SA, Mallikarjuna NN, Aminabhavi T M. Recent advances on chitosan-based micro and nanoparticles in drug delivery. J Controlled Release 2004;100:5–28.
15. Mardliyati E, El Muttaqien S, Setyawati DR. Synthesis of chitosan-TPP nanoparticles by ionic gelation method: effect of concentration and volume ratio on characteristics of particles. Proceedings of the Scientific and Technological Meeting; 2012. p. 90-3.
16. Mohanraj VJ, Chen Y. Nanoparticles a review. J Pharm 2006;5:561-73.
17. Shu XZ, Zhu KJ. Controlled drug release properties of ionically cross-linked chitosan beads: the influence of anion structure. Int J Pharm 2002;2:217-25.
18. Wu YW, Changchum H, Jianhua F, Shoukuan. Chitosan nanoparticles as a novel delivery system form ammonium glycyrhizinate. Int J Pharm 2005; 295:224-35.
19. Laili HN, Winarti L, Sari LORK. Preparation and characterization of chitosan naringenin nanoparticle using a variation ratio of chitosan-TPP. J Health Library 2014;2:308-13.
20. Nidhin M, Indumathy R, Sreeram KJ, Nairm BU. Synthesis of Iron oxide nanoparticles of narrow size distribution on polysaccharide templates. Bull Mater Sci 2008;31:93-6.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.