FORMULATION DEVELOPMENT AND CHARACTERIZATION OF SNAKEHEAD FISH POWDER IN ORAL DOUBLE EMULSION
Objective: Snakehead fish has been scientifically proven to increase levels of albumin and boost the immune system so that the formulation development is required. The objective of this study was to formulate and characterize snakehead fish powder (SFP) in the form of the oral double emulsion.
Methods: The manufacture of snakehead fish powder used the conventional method with dry heating at 50 Â°C. Characterization of SFP utilized proximate analysis method per 3 g of SFP. The double emulsion preparation was carried out by mixing 30% of the primary emulsion (w/o) into 70% of the secondary emulsion (w) to form the w/o/w emulsion. This preparation was prepared in 4 formulas having variations in Tween 80 concentrations at the secondary emulsions of 0.7%, 3.5%, 7.0% and 10.5% w/v, respectively using the spontaneous emulsification method. After that, all formulations were doing some tests, i.e. organoleptic test, pH, viscosity, flow types, globular diameter test and stability tests.
Results: The results of proximate analysis every 3 g of SFP have obtained the contents of protein, 16.89%, lipid 24.52%, water 1.73% and ash 1.05%. Based on the optimization of the formula, the preparation of F4 with the content of Tween 80 at 10.5% secondary emulsion is the best formula due to slow phase separation, pH 7, unchanged organoleptic properties, large internal and external globular diameter (6.35 Î¼m and 8.9 Î¼m), as well as having a high viscosity value (1569.84 p) which correspond to pseudo plastic flow.
Conclusion: The novelty of SFP can be developed as double emulsion orally based on the results of characterization and evaluation of double emulsion.
2. Tungadi R, Wicita P. Formulation, characterization and optimization of snakehead fish (Ophiocephalus striatus) powder nanoemulgel. Int J Pharm 2017;7:38-43.
3. Tungadi R, Mozin RW. Characterization and physical stability evaluation of snakehead fish (Ophiocephalus striatus) nanoemulsion. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2017;8:1000-6.
4. Lawang AT. The making of snakehead fish (Ophiocepahalus striatus) Concentrate Dispersion as Food Supplement. The Agriculture Faculty. Hasanuddin University. Makassar; 2013.
5. Kumar R, Kumar MS, Mahadevan N. Multiple emulsions: a review. Int J Recent Adv Pharm Res 2012;2:9-19.
6. Garti N, Aserin A. Double emulsion stabilized by macromolecular surfactant. J Adv Colloid Interface Sci 1996;65:37-69.
7. Sulthoniyah STM. The effect of temperature measurement against the content of nutrition and appearance of snakehead fish meat. J Stud Agric Tech 2013;1:33-45.
8. Hou W, Papadopoulos KD. W1/O/W2 and O1/W/O2 globules stabilized with span 80 and tween 80. Colloids and Surfaces. J Physicochem Eng Aspects 1997;125:181-7.
9. Swarbrick J. Encyclopedia of pharmaceutical technology. 3rded. Vol 1. New York: Informa Healthcare USA; 2007.
10. Tawali AB. The technology diffusion of protein concentrate production of snakehead fish as a food supplement in Jayapura. Hasanuddin University. Makassar; 2012.
11. Mason TJ, Wilking JN, Meleson K, Chang CB, Graves SM. Nanoemulsions: formation, structure and physical properties. J Phys-Condens Matter 2006;18:636â€“43.
12. Nagendra R, Roopa SP, Gurinder S. Design and optimization of the novel in situ gel of mercaptopurine for sustained drug delivery. Brazilian J Pharm Sci 2014;50:107-19.
13. Meyers D. Surfactant Science and Technology. John Willey and Sons (NJ) Inc; 2006.
14. Underwood RA. The analysis and quantitative chemistry. Jakarta: Erlangga Publisher; 2001.
15. Fatimah F. The quality of salad dressing emulsion made from virgin coconut oil. J Agritech 2011;31:56-60.
16. Jiahong S. Formulation and Stability of Food Grade Water in Oil in Water Emulsion. Thesis of Food Technology. Ridder Institute Massey University. New Zealand: Palmerston North; 2008.
17. Iradhati AH, Jufri M. Formulation and physical stability test of griseofulvin microemulsion gel. Int J Appl Pharm 2017;9:23-6.
18. Tatar V, Mootse H, Sats A, Kaart T, Poikalainen V. Evaluation of the size distribution of fat globules and fat and protein content in Estonian goat milk. Agro Res 2015;13:1112-9.
19. Deveda P, Jain A, Vyas N, Khambete H, Jain S. Gel liquid emulsion for sustain delivery of itraconazole for topical fungal diseases. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2010;2:104-12.
20. Yati K, Srifiana Y, Putra F. Effect of optimization of tween 80 and propylene glycol as a surfactant and cosurfactant on the physical properties of aspirin microemulsion. Int J Appl Pharm 2017;9:127-9.
21. Seddari S, Mostefa NM. Formulation and characterization of a double emulsion stabilized by sodium caseinate-xanthan mixtures effect of pH and biopolymer concentration. J Dispersion Sci-Tech 2013;36:51-60.
22. Garti N, Bisperink C. Double emulsions: progress and applications. Curr Opin Colloid Interface Sci 1998;3:657-67.