BINGE EATING DISORDERS; UPDATED AND EMERGING APPROACHES
Objective: Binge eating disorders (BED) recently become a global health care issue for clinicians with detrimental effects on all organ systems. A multidisciplinary strategy including pharmacotherapy is required for its management.
Methods: This review is intended to comparatively evaluate the relative efficacy of different pharmacological agents in BED treatment with new therapeutic approaches, focusing on the clinical evidence and on Phase III randomized controlled trials.
Results: Data suggest that certain treatments have advantages over placebos to reduce binge eating features; however, the small duration of such research with the lack of adequately sized trials was the major limitation in interpreting these findings. Furthermore, these medications are mostly not greatly efficient for BED associated with obesity except for topiramate, which markedly improves the features of binge episodes with weight loss. Till now, lisdexamfetamine is still the only drug with regulatory permission for BED therapy; however, its weight loss efficacy has not been established.
Conclusion: Drugs alone or in combination approaches may be useful pharmacotherapies to yield promising outcomes acutely and over longer-term follow-up in the treatment of BED.
2. Glisenti K, Strodl E, King R. Emotion?focused therapy for binge?eating disorder: a review of six cases. Clin Psychol Psychother 2018;25:842-55.
3. Walsh BT, Boudreau G. Laboratory studies of binge eating disorder. Int J Eat Disord 2003;34:S30-S8.
4. Marazziti D, Rossi L, Baroni S, Consoli G, Hollander E, Catena-Dell'Osso M. Novel treatment options of binge eating disorder. Curr Med Chem 2011;18:5159-64.
5. Wilfley DE, Citrome L, Herman BK. Characteristics of binge eating disorder in relation to diagnostic criteria. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat 2016;12:2213-23.
6. Walsh BT. Diagnostic categories for eating disorders: current status and what lies ahead. Psychiatr Clin 2019;42:1-10.
7. Udo T, Grilo CM. Prevalence and correlates of DSM-5–defined eating disorders in a nationally representative sample of US adults. Biol Psychiatry 2018;84:345-54.
8. Marzilli E, Cerniglia L, Cimino S. A narrative review of binge eating disorder in adolescence: prevalence, impact, and psychological treatment strategies. Adolesc Health Med Ther 2018;9:17-30.
9. Wonderlich SA, Gordon KH, Mitchell JE, Crosby RD, Engel SG. The validity and clinical utility of binge eating disorder. Int J Eat Disord 2009;42:687-705.
10. Culbert KM, Racine SE, Klump KL. Hormonal factors and disturbances in eating disorders. Curr Psychiatry Rep 2016;18:65.
11. Fowler N, Vo PT, Sisk CL, Klump KL. Stress as a potential moderator of ovarian hormone influences on binge eating in women. F1000Res 2019;8:222-32.
12. VR, Ganapathy D, Sasanka K. Binge-eating pattern among school students. J Crit Rev 2020;7:3242-9.
13. Erskine HE, Whiteford HA. Epidemiology of binge eating disorder. Curr Opin Psychiatry 2018;31:462-70.
14. Ziobrowski H, Brewerton TD, Duncan AE. Associations between ADHD and eating disorders in relation to comorbid psychiatric disorders in a nationally representative sample. Psychiatry Res 2018;260:53-9.
15. Kessler RC, Berglund PA, Chiu WT, Deitz AC, Hudson JI, Shahly V, et al. The prevalence and correlates of binge eating disorder in the World Health Organization World Mental Health Surveys. Biol Psychiatry 2013;73:904-14.
16. Trompeter N, Bussey K, Hay P, Griffiths S, Murray SB, Mond J, et al. Fear of negative evaluation among eating disorders: examining the association with weight/shape concerns in adolescence. Int J Eat Disord 2019;52:261-9.
17. Dingemans A, Bruna M, Van Furth E. Binge eating disorder: a review. Int J Obes 2002;26:299-307.
18. Ramacciotti CE, Coli E, Marazziti D, Segura Garcia C, Brambilla F, Piccinni A, et al. Therapeutic options for binge eating disorder. Eat Weight Disord 2013;18:3-9.
19. Brambilla F, Samek L, Lovo F, Cioni L, Mellado C. Multivariate therapeutic approach to binge-eating disorder: combined nutritional, psychological and pharmacological treatment. Int Clin Psychopharmacol 2009;24:312-7.
20. McElroy SL, Guerdjikova AI, Mori N, O’Melia AM. Pharmacological management of binge eating disorder: current and emerging treatment options. Ther Clin Risk Manag 2012;8:219-41.
21. A Berner L, E Bocarsly M, G Hoebel B, M Avena N. Pharmacological interventions for binge eating: lessons from animal models, current treatments, and future directions. Curr Pharm Des 2011;17:1180-7.
22. Wang GJ, Geliebter A, Volkow ND, Telang FW, Logan J, Jayne MC, et al. Enhanced striatal dopamine release during food stimulation in binge eating disorder. Obesity 2011;19:1601-8.
23. Tecott LH, Sun LM, Akana SF, Strack AM, Lowenstein DH, Dallman MF, et al. Eating disorder and epilepsy in mice lacking 5-HT2c serotonin receptors. Nature 1995;374:542-6.
24. Hargrave SL, Kinzig KP. Repeated gastric distension alters food intake and neuroendocrine profiles in rats. Physiol Behav 2012;105:975-81.
25. Aigner M, Treasure J, Kaye W, Kasper S, Disorders WTFoE. World federation of societies of biological psychiatry (WFSBP) guidelines for the pharmacological treatment of eating disorders. World J Biol Psychiatry 2011;12:400-43.
26. Walia V. Influence of stress and fluoxetine on immobility period of mice in tail suspension test and forced swim test. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:302-5.
27. Greeno CG, Wing RR. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of the effect of fluoxetine on dietary intake in overweight women with and without the binge-eating disorder. Am J Clin Nutr 1996;64:267-73.
28. Arnold LM, McElroy SL, Hudson JI, Welge JA, Bennett AJ, Keck Jr PE. A placebo-controlled, randomized trial of fluoxetine in the treatment of the binge-eating disorder. J Clin Psychiatry 2002;63:1028-33.
29. Grilo CM, Masheb RM, Wilson GT. Efficacy of cognitive-behavioral therapy and fluoxetine for the treatment of binge eating disorder: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled comparison. Biol Psychiatry 2005;57:301-9.
30. Devlin MJ, Goldfein JA, Petkova E, Jiang H, Raizman PS, Wolk S, et al. Cognitive behavioral therapy and fluoxetine as adjuncts to group behavioral therapy for binge eating disorder. Obes Res 2005;13:1077-88.
31. Gardiner H, Freeman C, Jesinger D, Collins S. Fluvoxamine: an open pilot study in moderately obese female patients suffering from atypical eating disorders and episodes of bingeing. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1993;17:301-5.
32. Hudson JI, McElroy SL, Raymond NC, Crow S, Keck Jr PE, Carter WP, et al. Fluvoxamine in the treatment of binge-eating disorder: a multicenter placebo-controlled, double-blind trial. Am J Psychiatry 1998;155:1756-62.
33. Pearlstein T, Spurell E, Hohlstein L, Gurney V, Read J, Fuchs C, et al. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of fluvoxamine in binge eating disorder: a high placebo response. Arch Womens Ment Health 2003;6:147-51.
34. McElroy SL, Casuto LS, Nelson EB, Lake KA, Soutullo CA, Keck Jr PE, et al. Placebo-controlled trial of sertraline in the treatment of binge eating disorder. Am J Psychiatry 2000;157:1004-6.
35. Milano W, Petrella C, Capasso A. Treatment of binge eating disorder with sertraline: a randomized controlled trial. Biomed Res 2005;16:89-91.
36. Leombruni P, Pierò A, Brustolin A, Mondelli V, Levi M, Campisi S, et al. A 12 to 24 w pilot study of sertraline treatment in obese women binge eaters. Hum Psychopharmacol Clin Exp 2006;21:181-8.
37. Leombruni P, Piero A, Lavagnino L, Brustolin A, Campisi S, Fassino S. A randomized, double-blind trial comparing sertraline and fluoxetine 6-month treatment in obese patients with binge eating disorder. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 2008;32:1599-605.
38. McElroy SL, Hudson JI, Malhotra S, Welge JA, Nelson EB, Keck Jr PE. Citalopram in the treatment of binge-eating disorder: a placebo-controlled trial. J Clin Psychiatry 2003;64:807-13.
39. Guerdjikova AI, McElroy SL, Kotwal R, Welge JA, Nelson E, Lake K, et al. High?dose escitalopram in the treatment of binge?eating disorder with obesity: a placebo?controlled monotherapy trial. Hum Psychopharmacol Clin Exp 2008;23:1-11.
40. Gibb A, Deeks ED. Vortioxetine: first global approval. Drugs 2014;74:135-45.
41. Leiser SC, Li Y, Pehrson AL, Dale E, Smagin G, Sanchez C. Serotonergic regulation of prefrontal cortical circuitries involved in cognitive processing: a review of individual 5-HT receptor mechanisms and concerted effects of 5-HT receptors exemplified by the multimodal antidepressant vortioxetine. ACS Chem Neurosci 2015;6:970-86.
42. Reiter AM, Heinze HJ, Schlagenhauf F, Deserno L. Impaired flexible reward-based decision-making in binge eating disorder: evidence from computational modeling and functional neuroimaging. Neuropsychopharmacol 2017;42:628-37.
43. Grant JE, Valle S, Cavic E, Redden SA, Chamberlain SR. A double?blind, placebo?controlled study of vortioxetine in the treatment of binge?eating disorder. Int J Eat Disord 2019;52:786-94.
44. Mahesh P, Jeganath S. Formulation and evaluation of venlafaxine hydrochloride sustained release matrix tablet. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11;170-4.
45. Bernardi S, Pallanti S. Successful duloxetine treatment of a binge eating disorder: a case report. J Psychopharmacol 2010;24:1269-72.
46. Lai CH. Duloxetine related binge eating behaviors: a case report. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 2009;33:1581-2.
47. Leombruni P, Lavagnino L, Gastaldi F, Vasile A, Fassino S. Duloxetine in obese binge eater outpatients: preliminary results from a 12?week open trial. Hum Psychopharmacol Clin Exp 2009;24:483-8.
48. Guerdjikova AI, McElroy SL, Winstanley EL, Nelson EB, Mori N, McCoy J, et al. Duloxetine in the treatment of binge eating disorder with depressive disorders: a placebo?controlled trial. Int J Eat Disord 2012;45:281-9.
49. Malhotra S, King KH, Welge JA, Brusman Lovins L, McElroy SL. Venlafaxine treatment of a binge-eating disorder associated with obesity: a series of 35 patients. J Clin Psychiatry 2002;63:802-6.
50. Silveira RO, Zanatto V, Appolinario J, Kapczinski F. An open trial of reboxetine in obese patients with binge eating disorder. Eat Weight Disord 2005;10:e93-e6.
51. Jain AK, Kaplan RA, Gadde KM, Wadden TA, Allison DB, Brewer ER, et al. Bupropion SR vs. placebo for weight loss in obese patients with depressive symptoms. Obes Res 2002;10:1049-56.
52. Anderson JW, Greenway FL, Fujioka K, Gadde KM, McKenney J, O'neil PM. Bupropion SR enhances weight loss: a 48?week double?blind, placebo?controlled trial. Obes Res 2002;10:633-41.
53. Jefferson JW, Rush AJ, Nelson JC, VanMeter SA, Krishen A, Hampton KD, et al. Extended-release bupropion for patients with major depressive disorder presenting with symptoms of reduced energy, pleasure, and interest: findings from a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Clin Psychiatry 2006;67:865-73.
54. Teaima M, Hamid MMA, Shoman NA, Jasti BR, El-Nabarawi MA. Promising swellable floating bupropion tablets: formulation, in vitro/in vivo evaluation and comparative pharmacokinetic study in human volunteers. Drug Des Dev Ther 2020;14:2741.
55. Teaima MH, Hamid MMA, Shoman NA, Jasti BR, El-Nabarawi MA, Yasser M. Formulation, characterization and comparative pharmacokinetic study of bupropion floating raft system as a promising approach for treating depression. J Pharm Sci 2020;109:3451-61.
56. Calandra C, Russo RG, Luca M. Bupropion versus sertraline in the treatment of depressive patients with binge eating disorder: a retrospective cohort study. Psychiatr Q 2012;83:177-85.
57. White MA, Grilo CM. Bupropion for overweight women with binge eating disorder: randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial. J Clin Psychiatry 2013;74:400-6.
58. Greenway FL, Fujioka K, Plodkowski RA, Mudaliar S, Guttadauria M, Erickson J, et al. Effect of naltrexone plus bupropion on weight loss in overweight and obese adults (COR-I): a multicentre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet 2010;376:595-605.
59. Guerdjikova AI, Walsh B, Shan K, Halseth AE, Dunayevich E, McElroy SL. Concurrent improvement in both binge eating and depressive symptoms with naltrexone/bupropion therapy in overweight or obese subjects with major depressive disorder in an open-label, uncontrolled study. Adv Ther 2017;34:2307-15.
60. Laederach Hofmann K, Graf C, Horber F, Lippuner K, Lederer S, Michel R, et al. Imipramine and diet counseling with psychological support in the treatment of obese binge eaters: a randomized, placebo?controlled double?blind study. Int J Eat Disord 1999;26:231-44.
61. Brownley KA, Peat CM, La Via M, Bulik CM. Pharmacological approaches to the management of binge eating disorder. Drugs 2015;75:9-32.
62. Ioannides Demos LL, Piccenna L, McNeil JJ. Pharmacotherapies for obesity: past, current, and future therapies. J Obes 2010;2011:179674.
63. Chukwu J, Delanty N, Webb D, Cavalleri GL. Weight change, genetics and antiepileptic drugs. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol 2014;7:43-51.
64. Leombruni P, Lavagnino L, Fassino S. Treatment of obese patients with binge eating disorder using topiramate: a review. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat 2009;5:385-92.
65. McElroy SL, Arnold LM, Shapira NA, Keck Jr PE, Rosenthal NR, Karim MR, et al. Topiramate in the treatment of binge eating disorder associated with obesity: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Am J Psychiatry 2003;160:255-61.
66. McElroy SL, Shapira NA, Arnold LM, Keck Jr PE, Rosenthal NR, Wu SC, et al. Topiramate in the long-term treatment of a binge-eating disorder associated with obesity. J Clin Psychiatry 2004;65:1463-9.
67. McElroy SL, Hudson JI, Capece JA, Beyers K, Fisher AC, Rosenthal NR, et al. Topiramate for the treatment of binge eating disorder associated with obesity: a placebo-controlled study. Biol Psychiatry 2007;61:1039-48.
68. Claudino AM, Appolinario J, Cordás T, Duchesne M, Sichieri R, Bacaltchuk J. Double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of topiramate plus cognitive-behavior therapy in binge-eating disorder. J Clin Psychiatry 2007;68:1324-32.
69. Zilberstein B, Pajecki D, De Brito ACG, Gallafrio ST, Eshkenazy R, Andrade CG. Topiramate after adjustable gastric banding in patients with binge eating and difficulty losing weight. Obes Surg 2004;14:802-5.
70. Guerdjikova AI, Kotwal R, McElroy SL. Response of recurrent binge eating and weight gain to topiramate in patients with binge eating disorder after bariatric surgery. Obes Surg 2005;15:273-7.
71. McElroy SL, Kotwal R, Hudson JI, Nelson EB, Keck Jr PE. Zonisamide in the treatment of binge-eating disorder: an open-label, prospective trial. J Clin Psychiatry 2004;65:50-6.
72. McElroy SL, Kotwal R, Guerdjikova AI, Welge JA, Nelson EB, Lake KA, et al. Zonisamide in the treatment of binge eating disorder with obesity: a randomized controlled trial. J Clin Psychiatry 2006;67:1897-906.
73. Ricca V, Castellini G, Sauro CL, Rotella CM, Faravelli C. Zonisamide combined with cognitive-behavioral therapy in binge eating disorder: a one-year follow-up study. Psychiatry (Edgmont) 2009;6:23-8.
74. Guerdjikova AI, McElroy SL, Welge JA, Nelson E, Keck PE, Hudson JI. Lamotrigine in the treatment of binge-eating disorder with obesity: a randomized, placebo-controlled monotherapy trial. Int Clin Psychopharmacol 2009;24:150-8.
75. Padwal RS, Majumdar SR. Drug treatments for obesity: orlistat, sibutramine, and rimonabant. Lancet 2007;369:71-7.
76. James WPT, Caterson ID, Coutinho W, Finer N, Van Gaal LF, Maggioni AP, et al. Effect of sibutramine on cardiovascular outcomes in overweight and obese subjects. N Engl J Med 2010;363:905-17.
77. Appolinario JC, Bacaltchuk J, Sichieri R, Claudino AM, Godoy Matos A, Morgan C, et al. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of sibutramine in the treatment of binge-eating disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2003;60:1109-16.
78. Milano W, Petrella C, Casella A, Capasso A, Carrino S, Milano L. Use of sibutramine, an inhibitor of the reuptake of serotonin and noradrenaline, in the treatment of binge eating disorder: a placebo-controlled study. Adv Ther 2005;22:25-31.
79. Wilfley DE, Crow SJ, Hudson JI, Mitchell JE, Berkowitz RI, Blakesley V, et al. Efficacy of sibutramine for the treatment of binge eating disorder: a randomized multicenter placebo-controlled double-blind study. Am J Psychiatry 2008;165:51-8.
80. Vetter ML, Faulconbridge LF, Webb VL, Wadden TA. Behavioral and pharmacologic therapies for obesity. Nat Rev Endocrinol 2010;6:578-88.
81. Coutinho W. The first decade of sibutramine and orlistat: a reappraisal of their expanding roles in the treatment of obesity and associated conditions. Arq Bras Endocrinol 2009;53:262-70.
82. Golay A, Laurent Jaccard A, Habicht F, Gachoud JP, Chabloz M, Kammer A, et al. Effect of orlistat in obese patients with binge eating disorder. Obes Res 2005;13:1701-8.
83. Grilo CM, Masheb RM, Salant SL. Cognitive-behavioral therapy guided self-help and orlistat for the treatment of binge eating disorder: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Biol Psychiatry 2005;57:1193-201.
84. Grilo CM, White MA. Orlistat with behavioral weight loss for obesity with versus without binge eating disorder: randomized placebo-controlled trial at a community mental health center serving educationally and economically disadvantaged Latino/as. Behav Res Ther 2013;51:167-75.
85. Aronne LJ, Halseth AE, Burns CM, Miller S, Shen LZ. Enhanced weight loss following coadministration of pramlintide with sibutramine or phentermine in a multicenter trial. Obesity 2010;18:1739-46.
86. Dalai SS, Adler S, Najarian T, Safer DL. Study protocol and rationale for a randomized double-blinded crossover trial of phentermine-topiramate ER versus placebo to treat binge eating disorder and bulimia nervosa. Contemp Clin Trials Commun 2018;64:173-8.
87. Guerdjikova AI, Williams S, Blom TJ, Mori N, McElroy SL. Combination phentermine-topiramate extended-release for the treatment of binge eating disorder: an open-label, prospective study. Innov Clin Neurosci 2018;15:17.
88. McTavish D, Heel RC. Dexenfluramine: a review of its pharmacological properties and therapeutic potential in obesity. Drugs 1992;43:713-33.
89. Stunkard A, Berkowitz R, Tanrikut C, Reiss E, Young L. d-Fenfluramine treatment of binge eating disorder. Am J Psychiatry 1996;153:1455-9.
90. Cheung BMY, Cheung TT, Samaranayake NR. Safety of antiobesity drugs. Ther Adv Drug Saf 2013;4:171-81.
91. Blonde L, Russell Jones D. The safety and efficacy of liraglutide with or without oral antidiabetic drug therapy in type 2 diabetes: an overview of the LEAD 1–5 studies. Diabetes Obes Metab 2009;11:26-34.
92. Pi-Sunyer X, Astrup A, Fujioka K, Greenway F, Halpern A, Krempf M, et al. A randomized, controlled trial of 3.0 mg of liraglutide in weight management. N Engl J Med 2015;373:11-22.
93. Robert SA, Rohana AG, Shah SA, Chinna K, Mohamud WNW, Kamaruddin NA. Improvement in binge eating in non-diabetic obese individuals after 3 mo of treatment with liraglutide–a pilot study. Obes Res Clin Pract 2015;9:301-4.
94. Castren ML, Jarvinen A, Laine MK, Tikkanen R. Beneficial effects of GLP-1 agonist in compulsive food-related behaviour associated with autism. Front Psychiatry 2019;10:97.
95. Dukarm CP. Bulimia nervosa and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: a possible role for stimulant medication. J Womens Health 2005;14:345-50.
96. Swanson SA, Crow SJ, Le Grange D, Swendsen J, Merikangas KR. Prevalence and correlates of eating disorders in adolescents: results from the national comorbidity survey replication adolescent supplement. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2011;68:714-23.
97. Hudson JI, Hiripi E, Pope Jr HG, Kessler RC. The prevalence and correlates of eating disorders in the national comorbidity survey replication. Biol Psychiatry 2007;61:348-58.
98. Amodeo G, Cuomo A, Bolognesi S, Goracci A, Trusso MA, Piccinni A, et al. Pharmacotherapeutic strategies for treating binge eating disorder. Evidence from clinical trials and implications for clinical practice. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2019;20:679-90.
99. McElroy SL, Guerdjikova A, Kotwal R, Welge JA, Nelson EB, Lake KA, et al. Atomoxetine in the treatment of binge-eating disorder: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. J Clin Psychiatry 2007;68:390-8.
100. Ward K, Citrome L. Lisdexamfetamine: chemistry, pharmacodynamics, pharmacokinetics, and clinical efficacy, safety, and tolerability in the treatment of binge eating disorder. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol 2018;14:229-38.
101. Reas DL, Grilo CM. Pharmacological treatment of binge eating disorder: update review and synthesis. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2015;16:1463-78.
102. McElroy SL, Hudson JI, Mitchell JE, Wilfley D, Ferreira Cornwell MC, Gao J, et al. Efficacy and safety of lisdexamfetamine for treatment of adults with moderate to severe binge-eating disorder: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Psychiatry 2015;72:235-46.
103. McElroy SL, Hudson J, Ferreira Cornwell MC, Radewonuk J, Whitaker T, Gasior M. Lisdexamfetamine dimesylate for adults with moderate to severe binge eating disorder: results of two pivotal phase 3 randomized controlled trials. Neuropsychopharmacol 2016;41:1251-60.
104. Hudson JI, McElroy SL, Ferreira Cornwell MC, Radewonuk J, Gasior M. Efficacy of lisdexamfetamine in adults with moderate to severe binge-eating disorder: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Psychiatry 2017;74:903-10.
105. Gasior M, Hudson J, Quintero J, Ferreira Cornwell MC, Radewonuk J, McElroy SL. A phase 3, multicenter, open-label, 12-month extension safety and tolerability trial of lisdexamfetamine dimesylate in adults with binge eating disorder. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2017;37:315-22.
106. McElroy SL, Hudson JI, Gasior M, Herman BK, Radewonuk J, Wilfley D, et al. Time course of the effects of lisdexamfetamine dimesylate in two phase 3, randomized, double?blind, placebo?controlled trials in adults with binge?eating disorder. Int J Eat Disord 2017;50:884-92.
107. Davis C, Levitan RD, Kaplan AS, Carter J, Reid C, Curtis C, et al. Dopamine transporter gene (DAT1) associated with appetite suppression to methylphenidate in a case-control study of binge eating disorder. Neuropsychopharmacol 2007;32:2199-206.
108. Davis C, Levitan RD, Kaplan AS, Carter Major JC, Kennedy JL. Sex differences in subjective and objective responses to a stimulant medication (methylphenidate): comparisons between overweight/obese adults with and without the binge?eating disorder. Int J Eat Disord 2016;49:473-81.
109. Quilty LC, Allen TA, Davis C, Knyahnytska Y, Kaplan AS. A randomized comparison of long acting methylphenidate and cognitive behavioral therapy in the treatment of binge eating disorder. Psychiatry Res 2019;273:467-74.
110. Gearhardt AN, Yokum S, Orr PT, Stice E, Corbin WR, Brownell KD. Neural correlates of food addiction. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2011;68:808-16.
111. N Gearhardt A, A White M, N Potenza M. Binge eating disorder and food addiction. Curr Drug Abuse Rev 2011;4:201-7.
112. Schreiber LR, Odlaug BL, Grant JE. The overlap between binge eating disorder and substance use disorders: diagnosis and neurobiology. J Behav Addict 2013;2:191-8.
113. Broft AI, Spanos A, Corwin RL, Mayer L, Steinglass J, Devlin MJ, et al. Baclofen for binge eating: an open?label trial. Int J Eat Disord 2007;40:687-91.
114. Corwin RL, Boan J, Peters KF, Ulbrecht JS. Baclofen reduces binge eating in a double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study. Behav Pharmacol 2012;23:616-25.
115. de Beaurepaire R, Joussaume B, Rapp A, Jaury P. Treatment of binge eating disorder with high-dose baclofen: a case series. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2015;35:357-9.
116. Giuliano C, Cottone P. The role of the opioid system in binge eating disorder. CNS Spectrums 2015;20:537-45.
117. Marrazzi M, Markham K, Kinzie J, Luby E. Binge eating disorder: response to naltrexone. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1995;19:143-5.
118. Raingeard I, Courtet P, Renard E, Bringer J. Naltrexone improves blood glucose control in type 1 diabetic women with severe and chronic eating disorders. Diabetes Care 2004;27:847-8.
119. Marrazzi M, Bacon J, Kinzie J, Luby E. Naltrexone use in treatment of anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. Int Clin Psychopharmacol 1995;10:163-72.
120. Jonas JM, Gold MS. Treatment of antidepressant-resistant bulimia with naltrexone. Int J Psychiatr Med 1987;16:305-9.
121. Jonas JM, Gold MS. The use of opiate antagonists in treating bulimia: a study of low-dose versus high-dose naltrexone. Psychiatry Res 1988;24:195-9.
122. Greenway FL, Dunayevich E, Tollefson G, Erickson J, Guttadauria M, Fujioka K, et al. Comparison of combined bupropion and naltrexone therapy for obesity with monotherapy and placebo. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2009;94:4898-906.
123. Alger SA, Schwalberg MD, Bigaouette JM, Michalek AV, Howard LJ. Effect of a tricyclic antidepressant and opiate antagonist on binge-eating behavior in norm weight bulimic and obese, binge-eating subjects. Am J Clin Nutr 1991;53:865-71.
124. Avena NM, Murray S, Gold MS. The next generation of obesity treatments: beyond suppressing appetite. Front Psychol 2013;4:721.
125. Gold MS, Avena NM. Animal models lead the way to further understanding food addiction as well as providing evidence that drugs used successfully in addictions can be successful in treating overeating. Biol Psychiatry 2013;74:e11.
126. Avena NM, Bocarsly ME, Murray S, Gold MS. Effects of baclofen and naltrexone, alone and in combination, on the consumption of palatable food in male rats. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol 2014;22:460-7.
127. Neumeister A, Winkler A, Wober Bingol C. Addition of naltrexone to fluoxetine in the treatment of binge eating disorder. Am J Psychiatry 1999;156:797.
128. Meyer F. Alleviation of both binge eating and sexual dysfunction with naltrexone. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2008;28:722-3.
129. McElroy SL, Guerdjikova AI, Mori N, Keck PE. Psychopharmacologic treatment of eating disorders: emerging findings. Curr Psychiatry Rep 2015;17:35.
130. Spanagel R. Alcoholism: a systems approach from molecular physiology to addictive behavior. Physiol Rev 2009;89:649-705.
131. Nealey KA, Smith AW, Davis SM, Smith DG, Walker BM. ?-opioid receptors are implicated in the increased potency of intra-accumbens nalmefene in ethanol-dependent rats. Neuropharmacology 2011;61:35-42.
132. Marazziti D, Piccinni A, Baroni S, Dell'Osso L. Effectiveness of nalmefene in binge eating disorder: a case report. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2016;36:103-4.
133. Hillemacher T, Heberlein A, Muschler MA, Bleich S, Frieling H. Opioid modulators for alcohol dependence. Expert Opin Investig Drugs 2011;20:1073-86.
134. McElroy SL, Guerdjikova AI, Blom TJ, Crow SJ, Memisoglu A, Silverman BL, et al. A placebo?controlled pilot study of the novel opioid receptor antagonist ALKS?33 in binge eating disorder. Int J Eat Disord 2013;46:239-45.
135. Blednov YA, Adron Harris R. Metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 (mGluR5) regulation of ethanol sedation, dependence and consumption: relationship to acamprosate actions. Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 2008;11:775-93.
136. Olive MF, Cleva RM, Kalivas PW, Malcolm RJ. Glutamatergic medications for the treatment of drug and behavioral addictions. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 2012;100:801-10.
137. McElroy SL, Guerdjikova AI, Winstanley EL, O'Melia AM, Mori N, McCoy J, et al. Acamprosate in the treatment of binge eating disorder: a placebo?controlled trial. Int J Eat Disord 2011;44:81-90.
138. Hermanussen M, Tresguerres J. A new anti-obesity drug treatment: first clinical evidence that, antagonizing glutamate-gated Ca2+ion channels with memantine normalises binge-eating disorders. Econ Hum Biol 2005;3:329-37.
139. Brennan BP, Roberts JL, Fogarty KV, Reynolds KA, Jonas JM, Hudson JI. Memantine in the treatment of binge eating disorder: An open?label, prospective trial. Int J Eat Disord 2008;41:520-6.
140. Zaharna M, Dimitriu A, Guilleminault C. Expert opinion on pharmacotherapy of narcolepsy. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2010;11:1633-45.
141. Pardi D, Black J. ?-hydroxybutyrate/sodium oxybate. CNS Drugs 2006;20:993-1018.
142. McElroy SL, Guerdjikova AI, Winstanley EL, O'melia AM, Mori N, Keck Jr PE, et al. Sodium oxybate in the treatment of binge eating disorder: an open?label, prospective study. Int J Eat Disord 2011;44:262-8.
143. Davis CM, Vincent JB. Chromium oligopeptide activates insulin receptor tyrosine kinase activity. Biochemistry 1997;36:4382-5.
144. Piotrowska A, Mlyniec K, Siwek A, Dybala M, Opoka W, Poleszak E, et al. Antidepressant-like effect of chromium chloride in the mouse forced swim test: involvement of glutamatergic and serotonergic receptors. Pharmacol Rep 2008;60:991-5.
145. Gerozissis K. Brain insulin, energy and glucose homeostasis; genes, environment and metabolic pathologies. Eur J Pharmacol 2008;585:38-49.
146. Brownley KA, Von Holle A, Hamer RM, La Via M, Bulik CM. A double-blind, randomized pilot trial of chromium picolinate for binge eating disorder: results of the binge eating and chromium (BEACh) study. J Psychosom Res 2013;75:36-42.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.