IMPLEMENTATION OF FUZZY LOGIC CONTROLLERS TO MAINTAIN WATER TEMPERATURE IN HYDROPONICS NFT FOR LOLLO VERDE LETTUCE (LACTUCA SATIVA L.)
Objective: The purpose of this study was to maintain the nutritional water temperature in the range of 25-27 °C for Lollo Verde lettuce (Lactuca sativa L.).
Methods: The method was the Fuzzy Logic Mamdani (FLM) with two inputs, i.e. real time clock and temperature. The output was crisp speed PWM with the center of area method.
Results: The results showed that Fuzzy logic was succeeded in reducing water temperature in the NFT system from 28-32 °C to 26-27 °C, with an average delta of 3.5 °C. Fuzzy logic maintained the nutrient water temperature in the Lollo Verde lettuce with an average of 26.57±0.5 °C. Water temperature affected the yield of Lollo Verde lettuce.
Conclusion: The yield of NFT FLM system was better compared to the conventional NFT system.
2. Chow YN, Lee LK, Zakaria NA, Foo KY. New emerging hydroponic system. Int Malaysia Indonesia Thailand Symposium Innovation Creativity (iMIT-SIC) 2017;2:1-4.
3. Danial OM. Even though it doesn't have extensive agricultural land, Oded stretches the city of Bandung into vegetable self-sufficiency. Available from: https://bandungkita.id/2020/01/12/meski-tak-punya-lahan-pertanian-luas-oded-usung-kota-bandung-swasembada-sayuran/ [Last accessed on 12 Jan 2020].
4. Lennard W, Ward J. A comparison of plant growth rates between an NFT hydroponic system and an NFT aquaponic system. Horticulturae 2019;5:1-16.
5. Hyun Ju K, Young Son C, Oh Keun K, Myung Whan C, Jae Bok H, Soon Do B, et al. Effect of pH and EC of hydroponic solution on the growth of greenhouse rose. Asian J Plant Sci 2005;4:348-55.
6. Nxawe S, Ndakidemi P, Laubscher CP. Possible effects of regulating hydroponic water temperature on plant growth, accumulation of nutrients and other metabolites. Afr J Biotech 2011;9:9128-34.
7. Al-Rawahy MS, Al-Rawahy SA, Al-Mulla YA, Nadaf SK. Influence of nutrient solution temperature on its oxygen level and growth, yield and quality of hydroponic cucumber. J Agric Sci 2019;11:75-92.
8. Pedersen O, Perata P, Voesenek LACJ. Flooding and low oxygen responses in plants. Functional Plant Biol 2017;44:iii-vi.
9. Colombi T, Keller T. Developing strategies to recover crop productivity after soil compactio-a plant eco-physiological perspective. Soil Tillage Res 2019;191:156-61.
10. Rosberg AK, Wohanka W, Hultberg M, Alsanius BW. Implications on the root microbial community in the presence of Pythium ultimum in soilless cultivation systems. Acta Horticulturae 2019;1266:215-22.
11. Fortnum BA, Rideout J, Martin SB, Gooden D. Nutrient solution temperature affects pythium root rot of tobacco in greenhouse float systems. Plant Dis 2000;84:289-94.
12. How to cool your hydroponic reservoir. Available from: https://www.bigbloomhydroponics.com/hydro/how-to-cool-your-hydroponic-reservoir/ [Last accessed on 18 Jan 2020]
13. Five options to cool your hydroponic nutrient solution. Available from: https://www.saferbrand.com/articles/cool-nutrient-solution [Last accessed on 18 Jan 2020]
14. Chil CD, Kim SY, Jeong JC, Lee YB. Solution temperature effects on potato growth and mineral uptake in hydroponic system. Acta Horticulturae 2001;548:517-22.
15. What is the ideal nutrient solution temperature in hydroponics? Available from: https://scienceinhydroponics.com/2017/06/what-is-the-ideal-nutrient-solution-temperature-in-hydroponics. html [Last accessed on 25 Jan 2020].
16. Meteorology Climatology and Geophysics Council. Average Temperature and Humidity Data; 2019. Available from: http://data.bandung.go.id/dataset/rata-rata-suhu-dan-kelembaban-udara-menurut-bulan-di-kota-bandung/resource/9e2648b2-f237-4522-a365-268f3934626f [Last accessed on 20 Jan 2020].
17. Morrill JC, Bales RC, Conklin MH. Estimating stream temperature from air temperature: implications for future water quality. J Environ Eng 2005;131:139-46.
18. Mooij WM, De Senerpont Domis, LN Hülsmann S. The impact of climate warming on water temperature, timing of hatching and young-of-the-year growth of fish in shallow lakes in the netherlands. J Sea Res 2008;60:32-43.
19. Daskalaki A, Burrage SW. Solution temperature and the uptake of water and nutrients by cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) in hydroponics. Acta Horticulturae 1998;458:317-22.
20. Fauzan MN, Saptarini NM. Application of the mamdani fuzzy logic multi output method to maintain electrical conductivity in hydroponic media for lettuce (Lactuca sativa L.) and bok choy (Brassica rapa L.). J Global Pharma Tech 2020;12:634-40.
21. Arduino Uno Rev3. Store. Arduino. Cc, 1. Available from: https://store.arduino.cc/arduino-uno-rev3%0Ahttps://store.arduino.cc/usa/arduino-uno-rev3 [Last accessed on 24 Jan 2020]
22. Lee CC. Fuzzy logic in control systems: fuzzy logic controller-I. IEEE Transactions Systems Man Cybernatics 1990;20:404-18.
23. Lee CC. Fuzzy logic in control systems: fuzzy logic controller-II. IEEE Transactions Systems Man Cybernatics 1990;20:419-35.
24. Kuncoro CBD, Sutandi T, Falahuddin MA. The development of the nutrient solution cooling system for the hydroponic cultivation. Unikom J 2017;V:67-72.
25. Fernando EAH, Bandala AA, Lim LAG, Maglaya AB, Ledesma N, Vicerra RR, et al. Design of a fuzzy logic controller for a vent fan and growlight in a tomato growth chamber. Proceeding of IEEE 9th International Conference on Humanoid, Nanotechnology, Information Technology, Communication and Control, Environment and Management (HNICEM); 2017. p. 1-5.
26. Kahlen K, Zinkernagel J, Stutzel H. Modeling temperature-modulated stem growth of cucumber plants (Cucumis sativus L.). Proceeding of IEEE 4th International Symposium on Plant Growth Modeling, Simulation, Visualization and Applications; 2012. p. 188-91.
27. Kumar AS, Sudha S. Design of wireless sensor network based fuzzy logic controller for a cold storage system. Proceeding of IEEE 7th Power India International Conference (PIICON); 2016. p. 1-6.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.