DEVELOPMENT AND CHARACTERIZATION OF PRECIROL ATO 88 BASE IN NANOSTRUCTURED LIPID CARRIERS (NLC) FORMULATION WITH THE PROBE SONICATION METHOD
Objective: Adapalene is a medicinal ingredient that can be used to treat acne. Adapalene has a Log P value of 8.6 and has high lipophilic and low solubility in water and is potentially degraded. Adapalene NLC can increase biphasic drug penetration at low doses but has good reactivity and provides occlusive properties that can increase skin hydration, thereby accelerating acne treatment.
Methods: Forming Adapalene NLC using the method of heat homogenization followed by ultrasonication probe. The NLC formulas used were Precirol ATO5 ®4.0%, Myritol ® 2%, Cremophor RH 40 1%, Plantacare 1%, Tegocare 1%, and Adapalene 0.3%. Following that is the characterization of particle size, polydispersity index, zeta potential, efficiency entrapment.
Results: The results showed the measurement of particle size with a range (150-318 nm), index polydispersion showed (0.12-0.36) and zeta potential (-26)-(-60 mV) and efficient entrapment testing showed results (84-98 %). In the TEM morphological evaluation of images showing spherical and evenly distributed forms, this is in line with the results of the adapalene NLC characterization.
Conclusion: These results suggest that NLC containing adapalene showed excellent result.
2. Lason E, Sikora E, Miastkowska M, Escribano E, Garcia Celma MJ, Solans C, et al. NLCs as a potential carrier system for transdermal delivery of forskolin. Acta Biochim Pol 2018;65:437-42.
3. Rouco H, Diaz Rodriguez P, Remunan Lopez C, Landin M. Recent advances in solid lipid nanoparticles formulation and clinical applications. Nanomaterial for Clinical Application; 2020. p. 213-47.
4. Sathe P, Saka R, Kommineni N, Raza K, Khan W. Dithranol-loaded nanostructured lipid carrier-based gel ameliorate psoriasis in imiquimod-induced mice psoriatic plaque model. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2019;45:826-38.
5. Hanna AP, Ghorab MM, Gad Shadeed. Development of betamethasone dipropionate-loaded nanostructured lipid carriers for topical and transdermal delivery. Anti Inflammatory Anti Allergy Agents Med Chem 2019;18:26-44.
6. Jain A, Garg NK, Jain A, Kesharwani P, Jain AK, Nirbhavane P, et al. A synergistic approach of adapalene-loaded nanostructured lipid carriers, and vitamin C co-administration for treating acne. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2016;42:897-905.
7. Pariser DM, Thiboutot DM, Clark SD, Jones TM, Liu Y, Graeber M. The efficacy and safety of adapalene gel 0. 3 % in the treatment of acne vulgaris: a randomized, multicenter, investigator-blinded, controlled comparison study versus adapalen gel 0.1% and vehicle. Cutis New York 2005;76:145-51.
8. Rusu A, Tanase C, Pascu GA, Todoran N. Recent advances regarding the therapeutic potential of adapalene. Pharmaceuticals 2020;13:217.
9. Ramezanli T, Michniak Kohn BB. Development and characterization of a topical gel formulation of adapalene-tyrospheres and assessment of its clinical efficacy. Mol Pharm 2018;15:3813-22.
10. Shrotriya S, Ranpise N, Satpute P, Vidhate B. Skin targeting of curcumin solid lipid nanoparticles-engrossed topical gel for the treatment of pigmentation and irritant contact dermatitis. Artificial Cells Nanomed Biotechnol 2018;46:1471-82.
11. Ribeiro LNM, Franz Montan M, Alcântara ACS, Breitkreitz MC, Castro SR, Guilherme VA, et al. Hybrid nanofilms as topical anesthetics for pain-free procedures in dentistry. Sci Rep 2020;10:1-11.
12. Ozdemir S, Celik B, Uner M. Properties and therapeutic potential of solid lipid nanoparticles and nanostructured lipid carriers as promising colloidal drug delivery systems. Materials for Biomedical Engineering; 2019. p. 457-505.
13. Yu Y, Feng R, Yu S, Li J, Wang Y, Song Y, et al. Nanostructured lipid carrier-based pH and temperature dual-responsive hydrogel composed of carboxymethyl chitosan and poloxamer for drug delivery. Int J Biol Macromol 2018;114:462-9.
14. Csanyi E, Suto B, Berko S, Kozma G, Kukovecz A, Budai Szucs M, et al. Development of ibuprofen-loaded nanostructured lipid carrier-based gels: Characterization and investigation of in vitro and in vivo penetration through the skin. Int J Nanomed 2016;11:1201-12.
15. Noh GY, Suh JY, Park SN. Ceramide-based nanostructured lipid carriers for transdermal delivery of isoliquiritigenin: Development, physicochemical characterization, and in vitro skin permeation studies. Korean J Chem Eng 2017;34:400-6.
16. Tofani R, Sumirtapura Y, Darijanto S. Formulation, characterisation, and in vitro skin diffusion of nanostructured lipid carriers for deoxyarbutin compared to a nanoemulsion and conventional cream. Sci Pharm 2016;84:634-45.
17. Makoni PA, Kasongo KW, Walker RB. Short term stability testing of efavirenz-loaded solid lipid nanoparticle (SLN) and nanostructured lipid carrier (NLC) dispersions. Pharmaceutics 2019;11:397.
18. Nagaich U, Gulati N. Nanostructured lipid carriers (NLC) based controlled release topical gel of clobetasol propionate: design and in vivo characterization. Drug Delivery Transl Res 2016;6:289-98.
19. Singh P, Singh M, Kanoujia J, Arya M, Saraf SK, Saraf SA. Process optimization and photostability of silymarin nanostructured lipid carriers: effect on UV-irradiated rat skin and SK-MEL 2 cell line. Drug Delivery Transl Res 2016;6:597-609.
20. Sobczy?ski J, Bielecka G. Nanostructure lipid carriers. Nanoparticles in Pharmacotherapy; 2019. p. 275-309.
21. Swidan SA, Mansour ZN, Mourad ZA, Elhesaisy NA, Mohamed NA, Bekheet MS, et al. DOE, formulation, and optimization of repaglinide nanostructured lipid carriers. J Appl Pharm Sci 2018;8:8-16.
22. Madan JR, Khobaragade S, Dua K, Awasthi R. Formulation, optimization, and in vitro evaluation of nanostructured lipid carriers for topical delivery of apremilast. Dermatol Ther 2020;33:1-13.
23. Suyanto A, Noor E, Fahma F, Rusli MS, Djatna T. Development of the method of optimized flavor production systems design based on nano-emulsification Kawista (Feronia limonia) Fruit extraction. IOP Conf Ser Earth Environ Sci 2018;102:12-7.
24. Singh Hallan S, Sguizzato M, Pavoni G, Baldisserotto A, Drechsler M, Mariani P, et al. Ellagic acid containing nanostructured lipid carriers for topical application: a preliminary study. Molecules 2020;25:1449.
25. Mendes IT, Ruela ALM, Carvalho FC, Freitas JTJ, Bonfilio R, Pereira GR. Development and characterization of nanostructured lipid carrier-based gels for the transdermal delivery of donepezil. Colloids Surf B 2019;177:274-81.
26. Pawbake GR, Shirolkar SV. Formulation, development and evaluation of nanostructured lipid carrier (NLC) based gel for topical delivery of diacerein. Syst Rev Pharm 2020;11:794-802.
27. Goel S, Sachdeva M, Agarwal V. Nanosuspension technology: recent patents on drug delivery and their characterizations. Recent Pat Drug Delivery Formul 2019;13:91-104.
28. Keivani Nahr F, Ghanbarzadeh B, Hamishehkar H, Samadi Kafil H. Food grade nanostructured lipid carrier for cardamom essential oil: preparation, characterization and antimicrobial activity. J Funct Foods 2018;40:1-8.
29. Nadal JM, Dos Anjos Camargo G, Novatski A, Macenhan WR, Dias DT, Barboza FM, et al. Adapalene-loaded poly(?-caprolactone) microparticles: physicochemical characterization and in vitro penetration by photoacoustic spectroscopy. PLoS One 2019;14:e0213625.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.