FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF LUMEFANTRINE CAPSULE PREPARED BY USING LIQUISOLID TECHNIQUE
Objective: The objective of present research work was to formulate and evaluate of Lumefantrine capsule by using novel liquisolid technique to give increased dissolution rate of poorly water-soluble drug Lumefantrine.Methods: Formulation of lumefantrine capsule using drug solution and suspension method was used. Different liquisolid formulations were prepared using a mathematical model for calculating required quantities of powder and liquid ingredients to produce an acceptably flowable and compressible admixture. Liquisolid capsule formulation F-1 to F-9 were prepared by using different type and different concentration of non-volatile solvent like PEG-400, Tween 80, propylene glycol and avicels, aerosil as carrier and coating material respectively.Results: The liquisolid formulation were within the acceptable limits and drug release rates of all prepared liquisolid were distinctly higher as compared to pure drug. Lumefantrine shows maximum solubility in tween 80 as a non-volatile solvent. All the preformulation parameters were evaluated such as organoleptic characterization of the drug sample, melting point, pH, identification of drug samples by using UV spectroscopy and FTIR analytical method, preparation of calibration curves, solubility studies of drug sample like qualitative, quantitative and pH-dependent solubility of the drug in a buffer solution of different pH. They were further processed for solid-state characterization such as, DSC and SEM and the results confirmed the transformation of native crystalline nature of drug to an amorphous state. FTIR analysis also confirmed no drug-excipient interaction. Liquisolid formulations showed improved in vitro dissolution behaviour of lumefantrine over that of pure drug.
Conclusion: From this study, it was concluded that liquisolid method is a promising alternative for improvement of dissolution property of water-insoluble drugs.
2. Akbari BV, Valaki BP, Mardiya VH, Akbari AK, Vidyasagar G. Enhancement of solubility and dissolution rate of rosuvastatin calcium by complexation with Î² cyclodextrin. Int J Pharm Biol Arch 2011;2:511-20.
3. Anna B, Umashankar MS, Kavitha B. Liquisolid technology-a latest review. Int J App Pharm 2014;6:11-9.
4. World Health Organization. Guidelines for the treatment of Malaria. 2nd edition. Geneva, WHO Press, pdf document; 2010. p. 1-210.
5. Dias JR, Mali KK, Ghorpade SV, Havaldar DV, Mohite RV. Formulation and evaluation of carbamazepine liquisolid compacts using novel carriers. Indian J Pharm Educ Res 2017;5(2S):S69-S78.
6. Jain Hitesh, Pasha Ty, Bais Cs, Bhandari Anil. Formulation and characterization of liquisolid tablets of valsartan for improvement of dissolution rate. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:21-6.
7. Kankudte AD, Jadhav AS, Sarje GR, Sakhare RS, Bharkhad VS. Formulation and evaluation of aceclofenac liquisolid tablets. Int J Pharm Res Scholars 2010;2:1-3.
8. Kaparthi S, Babu PRS. Risperidone liquisolid compacts formulation and evaluation. Pharm Sinica 2015;6:9-15.
9. Higuchi T, Shih FL, Kimura T, Rytting JH. Solubility determination of barley aqueous-soluble organic solids. J Pharm Sci 1979;68:1267-72.
10. Fule R, Meer T, Sav A, Amin P. Solubility and dissolution rate enhancement of lumefantrine using hot melt extrusion technology with physicochemical characterization. J Pharm Inv 2013;43:305â€“21.
11. Spireas S, Sadu S. Enhancement of prednisolone dissolution properties using liquisolid compacts. Int J Pharm 1998;166:177-88.
12. Spireas SS. Theoretical and practical aspects of liquisolid compacts, PhD Thesis, St. Johnâ€™s University, New York; 1993.
13. Louis. Improvement of dissolution properties of carbamazepine through the application of the liquisolid tablet technique. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2008;69:342â€“7.
14. Spireas; United States Patents, Patent No. US 6,423,339B1.
15. K Rajesh, R Rajalakshmi, CK Ashok Kumar. Liquisolid technique a novel approach to enhance solubility and bioavailability. Int J Biopharm 2011;2:8-13.
16. Spireas S, Wang T, Grover R. Effect of powder substrate on the dissolution properties of methyclothiazide liquisolid compacts. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 1999;25:163-8.
17. Fahmy R, Kassem M. Enhancement of famotidine dissolution rate through liquisolid tablets formulation in vitro and in vivo evaluation. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2008;69:993â€“1003.
18. Friedrich H, Fussnegger B, Kolter K, Bodmeier R. Dissolution rate improvement of poorly water-soluble drugs obtained by adsorbing solutions of drugs in hydrophilic solvents onto high surface area carriers. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2006;62:171-7.
19. Rania H. Enhancement of famotidine dissolution rate through liquisolid tablets formulation: in vitro and in vivo evaluation. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2008;69:993â€“1003.
20. Banker GS, Rhodes CT. Modern Pharmaceutics. Fourth edition. Revised and expanded. Marcel Dekker; 2002.
21. Lobenberg R, Modern bioavailability. Bioequivalence and biopharmaceutics classification system; new scientific approaches to international regulatory standards. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2000;50:3â€“12.
22. Nnamani PO, Hansen S, Windbergs M, Lehr CM. Development of artemether-loaded nanostructured lipid carrier (NLC) formulation for topical application. Int J Pharm 2014; 477:208â€“17.
23. Nnamani PO, Scoles G, KrÃ¶l S. Preliminary characterization of N-trimethylchitosan as a nanocarrier for malaria vaccine. J Vector Borne Disease 2011;48:224â€“30.
24. Vranikova B, Gajdziok J. Liquisolid systems and aspects influencing their research and development. Acta Pharm 2013;63:447â€“65.
25. Nagabandi VK, Ramarao T, Jayaveera KN. Liquisolid compacts: a novel approach to enhance bioavailability of poorly soluble drugs. Int J Pharm Biol Sci 2011;1:89â€“102.
26. Development of discriminating dissolution procedure for artemether and lumefantrine tablets. Pharma Chem 2010;2:394-9.
27. Walunj D, Sharma Y, Rawat S, Bhise K. Formulation development and evaluation of the tamoxifen citrate liquisolid system. Int J Pharma Biosci 2012;3:591â€“603.
28. Elkordy AA, Akinlade B, Ebtessam A Essa, Sahar E. Liquisolid systems to improve the dissolution of furosemide. Sci Pharm 2010;78:325â€“44.
29. Bonthagarala B, Sai PDL, Sivaiah VK, Kumar GA, Rao NB, Dasari V. Enhancement of dissolution rate of clofibrate (BCS Classâ€“II Drug) by using liquisolid compact technology. Int J Biomed Adv Res 2015;6:288-98.
30. Burra S, Reddy PV. Formulation and evaluation of carvedilol liquisolid tablets. Afr J Pharm Pharmacol 2012;3:30-44.