A REVIEW ON FORMULATION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF NANOEMULSION
Keywords:Nanoemulsion, Homogenization, Emulsification, Characterization, Application
Nanoemulsions are clear, thermodynamically stable mixtures of oil, water, surfactant and co-surfactant. These are the oil-in-water type of emulsions with the average droplet size ranging from 5 nm to 100 nm. Nanoemulsions are thermodynamically stable transparent or translucent dispersions of oil and water stabilized by an interfacial film of surfactant and co-surfactant molecules having a droplet size of less than 100 nm. This review provides brief information about the method of preparation and evaluation of nanoemulsion as drug carriers for improving the delivery of therapeutic agents. There are several techniques are to be used for preparation of nanoemulsions like high pressure homogenization, microfluidization, low energy emulsification and solvent evaporation method and parameter that are to be used for its characterization like droplet size analysis, viscosity determination, drug content, refractive index, pH, zeta potential, Transmission electron microscopy, thermal stability, release and in vitro skin permeation study.Nanoemulsion
2. Haritha, Basha SP, Rao KP, Chakravarthi V. A brief introduction to methods of preparation, applications and characterization of nanoemulsion drug delivery system. Indian J Res Pharm Biotechnol 2013;1:25-8.
3. Kumar SLH, Singh V. Nanoemulsification: a novel targeted drug delivery tool. J Drug Delivery Ther 2012;2:40-5.
4. Sole I, Pey CM, Maestro A, Gonzalez C, Porras M, Solans C, et al. Nanoemulsions prepared by phase inversion composition method: preparation variables and scale up. J Colloid Interface Sci 2010;344:417-23.
5. Ravi TPU, Padma T. Nanoemulsions for drug delivery through different routes. Res Biotechnol 2011;2:1-13.
6. Date AA, Nagarsenker S. Parenteral microemulsion: an overview. Int J Pharm 2008;355:19-30.
7. Sadurní N, Solans C, Azemar N, Garcia Celma MJ. Studies on the formation of o/w nano-emulsions, by low energy methods, suitable for pharmaceutical applications. Eur J Pharm Appl 2005;26:438-45.
8. Sukanya G, Mantry S, Anjum S. Review on nanoemulsions. Int J Innovative Pharm Sci Res 2013;1:192-205.
9. Bhatt P, Madhav S. A detailed review on nanoemulsion drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2011;2:2482-9.
10. Jumaa M, Mueller BW. Formulation and stability of benzodiazepines in a new lipid emulsion formulation. Pharmazie 2002;57:740-3.
11. Shaji J, Joshi V. Self-microemulsifying drug delivery system (SMEDDS) for improving the bioavailability of hydrophobic drugs and its potential to give sustained release dosage forms. Indian J Pharm Educ 2005;39:130-5.
12. Carey MC, Small DM, Bliss CM. Lipid digestion and absorption. Ann Rev Physiol 1983;45:651-77.
13. Narang AS, Delmarre D, Gao D. Stable drug encapsulation in micelles and microemulsions. Int J Pharm 2007;345:9-25.
14. Pouton CW, Porter CJH. Formation of lipid-based delivery systems for oral administration: materials, methods and strategies. Adv Drug Delivery Rev 2008;60:625-37.
15. Gursoy RN, Benita S. Self-emulsifying drug delivery systems (SEDDS) for improved oral delivery of lipophilic drugs. Biomed Pharmacother 2004;58:173-82.
16. Chime SA, Kenechukwu FC, Attama AA. Nanoemulsions-advances in formulation, characterization and applications in drug delivery; 2014. p. 77-111.
17. Nirmala MJ, Shivashankar M, Mukherjee A, Chandrasekaran N. Fluconazole: a simple nanoemulsion drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5:716-7.
18. Thakur A, Walia MK, Kumar SLH. Nanoemulsion in the enhancement of bioavailability of poorly soluble drugs: a review. Int Res J 2013;4:15-25.
19. Shah P, Bhalodia D, Shelat P. Nanoemulsion a pharmaceutical review. Systemic Rev Pharm 2010;1:24-32.
20. Singh BP, Kumar B, Jain SK, Shafaat K. Development and characterization of a nanoemulsion gel formulation for transdermal delivery of carvedilol. Int J Drug Dev Res 2012;4:151-61.
21. Heidi MM, Yun Seok R, Xiao W. Nanomedicine in pulmonary delivery. Int J Nanomed 2009;4:299-319.
22. Charles L, Attama AA. Current state of nanoemulsions in drug delivery. J Biomat Nanobiotech 2011;2:626-39.
23. Venkatesan N, Yoshimitsu J, Ito Y, Shibata N, Takada K. Liquid filled nanoparticles as a drug delivery tool for protein therapeutics. Biomaterials 2005;26:7154–63.
24. Kotta S, Khan AW, Pramod K, Ansari SH, Sharma RK, Ali J. Exploring oral nanoemulsions for bioavailability enhancement of poorly water-soluble drugs. Expert Opinion Drug Delivery 2012;9:585–98.