ANTIMICROBIAL ACTIVITY OF LEMON PEEL (CITRUS LIMON) EXTRACT
Objective: To evaluate the antimicrobial activity of methanolic extract from the peel of the fruit of Citrus Limon (Family-Rutaceae) in conjugation with phytochemical analysis.
Methods: The methanolic extract from the peel of the fruit of Citrus Limon (Family-Rutaceae) was separated from fruits, shade dried, powdered and extracted using methanol, analysed for phytochemical constituents using standard methods. The antimicrobial activity of the plant extract was examined against 2 bacterial strains among one is Gram-positive (Staphylococcus aureus) and other is Gram-negative (Escherichia coli) and 1 fungal strains (Candida albicans) using agar well diffusion method.
Results: The present investigation shows the phytochemical analysis, antimicrobial activity of the methanolic extract of the fruits peel Citrus limon. Various phytochemical analyses revealed the presence of alkaloids, saponin, flavonoids, carbohydrates, glycosides and citric acids and tannins. The antimicrobial activity of the methanolic extract of the plant showed significant result against all the of the test organisms.
Conclusion: The present study concluded that methanolic extract of the peel of Citrus Limon contains the high presence of phytochemicals. The methanolic extract of the plant was found to possess promising antimicrobial activity when compared with the standards.Â
2. Behboud J, Amirreza K. Antibacterial activities methanol of extract and lemongrass essence on pathogenic bacteria. World Appl Sci J 2013;28:1796-801.
3. Velu S, Abu Bakar F, Mahyudin NA, Saari N, Zaman MZ. In vitro antimicrobial activity of musk lime, in vitro antimicrobial activity of musk lime. Int Food Res J 2014;12;379-86.
4. Maruti J, Dhanavade CB, Jalkute JS, Ghosh Kailash DS. Study antimicrobial activity of lemon. Br J Pharmacol Toxicol 2011;2:119-22.
5. Akhilesh K, Raghvendra P, Vikas S, Madhulika G. Antimicrobial property of lemon peel extract. Natl J Universal Pharm Life Sci 2012;52:382-6.
6. Amit P, Arti K, Sudeep KT. Evaluation of antimicrobial activity and phytochemical analysis of Citrus limon. J Pharm Biomed Sci 2011;13:101-7.
7. Mohanapriya M, Rajender R. Health and medical property of lemon. Int J Ayurvedic Herbal Med 2013;3:1095-100.
8. Brant LJ. Intestinal microbiota and the role of fecal microbiota transplant in the treatment of C. difficile infection. Am J Gastroenterol Lecture 2013;108:177-85.
9. Gulsen O, Roose ML. Lemons diversity and relationships with selected citrus genotypes as measured with nuclear genome markers. J Am Soc Horticultural Sci 2001; 126:309-17.
10. Wainwright M. Moulids in ancient and more recent medicine. Mycologist 2003;3:21â€“3.
11. Kingston W. Irish contributions to the origins of antibiotics. Irish J Med Sci 2008;177:87-92.
12. Julia M. Lemon in fruits of warm climates.Purdue Universityâ€; 1987. p. 160â€“8.
13. Koehn FE, Carter GT. The evolving role of natural products in drug discovery. Nat Rev Drug Discovery 2014;2:379-86.
14. http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/pathogens.html. [Last accessed on 20 Dec 2016].
15. Parta AK. Dietary phytochemicals. Publisher spirzyeer; 2008. p. 301-6.