LARVICIDAL ACTIVITY OF ESSENTIAL OIL OF GLIRICIDIA SEPIUM LEAF
Keywords:Gliricidia sepium leaf, Larvicidal activity, Mosquitoes
Objective: This study focus at the larvicidal activity of essential oil of Gliricidia sepium leaf
Methods: Pharmacological evaluation of leaf was carried out for larvicidal activity. Household mosquitoes of fourth instar larvae were used for the study. The study was carried out for 5 different concentrations for aqueous extract.
Results: The aqueous extract shown dose-dependent activity with the maximum larvicidal potential was seen with leaf of essential oil (250 mg/ml).
Conclusion: The study is designed to evaluate the larvicidal activity of essential oil of leaf of G. sepium. The relationship between the chemical composition and biological activity of essential oil of G. sepium is confirmed by lethal effect.
2. Shad A, Andrew J. A study on the larvicidal activity of some medicinal plant extracts from Western Uttar Pradesh India, against the filarial vector, culex quinquefasciatus say. Int J Curr Microbiol Appl Sci 2013;2:423-32.
3. Kumar KP, Naik VS, Chandra VB, Lavanya R, Kumar KN, Bhagyasree V, et al. Evaluation of in vitro and in vivo anti-inflammatory activity of aqueous extract of Gliricidia sepium flowers in rats. Int J Pharmacogn Phytochem Res 2014;6:477-81.
4. Akharaiyi FC, Boboye B, Adetuyi FC. Antibacterial, phytochemical and antioxidant activities of the leaf extracts of gliricidia sepium and spathodea campanulate. World Appl Sci J 2012;16:523-30.
5. Chen XB, Liu XC, Zhou L, Liu ZL. Essential oil composition and larvicidal activity of Clinopodium gracile (Benth) matsum (Labiatae) aerial parts against the aedes albopictus mosquito. Trop J Pharm Res 2013;12:799-804.
6. Dinde AV, Lokhande PB, Mujawar HA. Essential oil extraction, characterization and anti-microbial study of Cythocline purpurea from konkan region. J Pharm Res 2017;11:424-9.
7. Chaverri C, Ciccio JF. Leaf and flower essential oil compositions of Gliricidia sepium (Fabaceae) from costa rica. Am J Essen Oils Nat Prod 2015;2:18-23.
8. Onyido AE, Ozumba NA, Ezike VI, Ikpeze OO, Nwankwo AC. New method of rearing and maintenance of mosquito colony in the laboratory. Afr J Biosci 2009;2:16-9.
9. Sandhya C, Rani JM. Larvicidal activity of crude plant extract against fourth instar larvae of anopheles subpictus and Culex quinquefasiatus mosquitoes. Int J Sci Res 2017;6:1635-7.
10. Santos HS, Bandeira PN, Lemos TLG, Santiago GMP. Chemical composition and larvicidal activity against aedes aegypti L. (Diptera: Culicidae) of essential oils from leaves, stalks and roots of the croton nepetaefolius baill (Euphorbiaceae). Int J Mosq Res 2017;4:19-22.