IN VITRO HEPATOPROTECTIVE ACTIVITY OF YELLOW LEAF EXTRACTS OF THESPESIA POPULNEA AGAINST CARBON TETRACHLORIDE INDUCED TOXICITY
Objective: The study was aimed to evaluate in vitro hepatoprotective activity of yellow leaf extracts of Thespesiapopulnea.
Methods: Hepatoprotective activity is studied by carbon tetrachloride-induced hepato-toxicity in isolated rat hepatocytes. The biochemical parameters observed in serum were serum glutamate oxaloacetate transaminase (SGOT/AST), serum glutamate pyruvate transaminase (SGPT/ALT) levels. The extracts exhibited a dose-dependent reduction in AST, ALT levels.
Results: Methanolic extract was found to exhibit higher hepatoprotection. T. populnea extract was found to be antihepatotoxic at a concentration of 125 mcg with a significant decrease in ALT (P<0.001) and AST (P<0.0001).
Conclusion: The results suggest that the methanolic extract has produced significant (p<0.001) hepatoprotection by decreasing the activity of serum enzymes which is comparable to that of standard drug silymarin.
2. Nagappa AN, Cheriyan B. Wound healing activity of the aqueous extract of Thespesia populnea fruit. Fitoterapia 2001;72:503-6.
3. Chowdhury SA, Islam J, Mahfujur RM, Mostafizur RM, Rumzhum NN, Sultana R. Cytotoxicity, antimicrobial and antioxidant studies of the different plant parts of Mimosa Pudic. S J Pharm Sci 2008;1:80-4.
4. Jayapriya S, Bagyalakshmi G. Phytochemical screening of Thespecia populanea leaf and flower extracts. IJIRSET 2016;5:3445-50.
5. Shirwaikarkumar A, Krishnan AV, Sreenivasan KK. Chemical investigation and antihepatotoxic activity of Thespesia populnea. Int J Pharmacogn 1995;33:305-10.
6. Chander R. Evaluation of hepatoprotective activity of picroliv from picrorhizakurroa in mastomysnatalensis infected with plasmodium berghei. Int J Med Res 1990;92:34-7.
7. Karan M, Vasisht K, Handa SS. Antihepatotoxic activity of swertiachirata on carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity in rats. J Phytotherapy Res PTR 1999;13:24-30.
8. Beena P, Purnima S, Kokilavani RJ. In vitro hepatoprotective activity of ethanolic extract of coldeniaprocumbens Linn. J Pharm Res 2011;3:144-9.
9. Wormser U, Zakine SB, Stivelband E, Eizen O, Nyska A. The liver slice system: A rapid in vitro acute toxicity test for primary screening of hepatotoxic agents. Toxico In Vitro 1990;4:783-9.
10. Jha M, Nema N, Shakya K, Ganesh N, Sharma V. In vitro hepatoprotective activity of Bauhinia variegata. Pharmacology-online 2009;3:114-8.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.