FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF MEFENAMIC ACID OINTMENT USING PENETRATION ENHANCERS
Objective: The aim of study was to formulate and evaluate Mefenamic acid ointment by the addition of penetration enhancer’s clove oil.
Methods: 1%, 2% and 3% formulations of Mefenamic acid ointment formulated as per B. P, by melting hard paraffin 4.75g at 60 °C initially and to this 4.75 g wool fatwas incorporated, followed by addition of soft paraffin 80.75g and then adding Cetostearyl alcohol 4.75g and 1,2 and 3 ml clove oil by continuous stirring later on ointment being cooled at room temperature. These formulations were checked for consistency, Spreadability, homogeneity, PH, viscosity, skin irritation, drug content, UV absorbance, Differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) and XRD (X. ray diffraction) studies. In vitro pattern via using Franz cells besides with the use of dialysis cellulose membrane was done.
Results: All the synthesized formulations illustrated fine physicochemical characteristics. SEM and XRD Studies expressed that there were no physicochemical incompatibilities among active ingredient (Mefenamic acid salt) and additives combined as drug permeation enhancers (clove oil).3% formulation showed maximum released 65.199%.
Conclusion: In the present study, it was noted that clove oil can enhance the permeation of Mefenamic acid topical ointment.
2. Nurhikmah W, Sumirtapura YC, Pamudji JS. Dissolution profile of mefenamic acid solid dosage forms in two compendial and biorelevant (FaSSIF) media. Sci Pharm 2016;84:181-90.
3. RGS Maheshwari, RK Tekade, PA Sharma. Ethosomes and ultradeformable liposomes for transdermaldelivery of clotrimazole: a comparative assessment. Saudi Pharma J 2012;20:161-70.
4. X Liu, H Liu, J Liu. Preparation of a ligustrazine ethosome patchand its evaluation in vitro and in vivo. Int J Nanomed 2011;6:241-7.
5. Sriamomsak P, Limmatvapirat S, Piriyaprasarth S, Mansukmanee P, Huang Z. A new emulsifying formulation of mefenamic acid with enhanced drug dissolution. Asian J Pharm Sci 2015;10:121-7.
6. Modi SV, Patel NJ. Development and evaluation of selfemulsifying drug delivery of a poorly water-soluble NSAID. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;4:462-79.
7. Ajazuddin, Alexander A, Khichariya A, Gupta S, Patel RJ, Giri TK, et al. Recent expansions in an emergent novel drug delivery technology: Emulgel. J Controlled Release 2013;171:122-32.
8. Gupta H, Babu R. Transdermal delivery: product and patent update. Recent Pat Drug Delivery Formul 2013;7:184–205.
9. Vasconcelos T, B Sarmento, Costa P. Solid dispersion as strategy to improve oral bioavailablity of poor water soluble drugs. Drug Discovery Today 2007;12:1068-75.
10. Gul R, Jan SU, Ahmad M, Faridullah S, Akhtar M. Formulation and evaluation of topical carbamazepine semi solid dosage forms for transdermal drug delivery. Lat Am J Pharm 2019;1:121-7.
11. Gul R, Jan SU, Ahmad M, Faridullah S, Akhtar M. Formulations, characterization, in vitro and ex vivo release of ephedra extract from topical preparations using dialysis cellulose membrane and natural rabbit skin. Dissolution Technologies 2017;4:24-30.
12. Vedavathi T, Srinivasa RB. Formulation and evaluation of terbinafine hydrochloride microsponge gel. Int J Appl Pharm 2019;6:4.
13. AVISH DM, Swaroop RL. Formulation and evaluation of ointment containing sunflower wax. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2019;8:115-20.
14. Abid H, Gul MK, Syed UJ, Shefaat US, Kifayatullah S, Muhammad A, et al. Effect of olive oil on transdermal penetration of flurbiprofen from topical gel as enhancer Pak. J Pharm Sci 2012;2:365-9.
15. Anindya HI, Mahdi J. Formulation and physical stability test of griseofulvin microemulsion gel. Int J Appl Pharm 2017;9:22-6.
16. Pattanayak S, Nayack SS, Dinda SC, Panda D, Naval KP. Evaluation of herbal ointments formulated with methanolic extract of cajanus scarabaeoides. J Pharm Allied Health Sci 2011;2:47-59.
17. Rahman G, Syed UJ, Mahmood A, Muhammad A, Muhammad MQ. Formulation, characterization and in vivo evaluation of hedera helix l., topical dosage forms Pak. J Pharm Sci 2019;6:2603-8.
18. Samiullah, Syed UJ, Rahman G, Syed J, Asmathulla. Formulation and evaluation of transdermal patches of pseudoephedrine hcl. Int J Appl Pharm 2020;3:121-7.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.