A REVIEW ON RECENT ADVANCEMENT IN PULSATILE DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEMS
Delivery systems with a pulsatile-release method are particularly involved in designing medicines for which traditional managed drug-release systems with the continuous release are not suitable. This medication also has a high first-pass impact or special conditions for chrono-pharmacology. These medications also have a high first-pass or unique chronopharmacological effect. The pulsatile release profile is characterised by a duration of no release (lag time) followed by a fast and full release of the drug. Pulsatile drug delivery systems may be classified into site-specific systems in which the drug is released inside the gastrointestinal system (e. g. colon) or time-controlled devices wherein the drug is released after a well-defined time period. Site-regulated release is typically controlled by environmental factors, such as pH or enzymes found in the intestinal tract, whereas drug release from time-controlled processes is controlled mainly by the delivery system and, preferably, not by the environment. This review covers various single-and multiple-unit oral pulsatile drug-delivery systems with an emphasis on time-controlled drug-release systems.
2. Amit K, Sonam R. Pulsatile drug delivery system: method and technology review. Int J Drug Dev Res 2012;4:95-107.
3. Aschoff J, Gerecke V, Wever R. Desynchronisation of human circadian rhythms. Japan J Physiol 1967;17:450–7.
4. James A. Physiological functions showing circadian rhythm: Circadian Rhytham; 2018. p. 1-4.
5. Brandenberger G, Charloux A, Gronfier C, Otzenberger H. Ultradian rhythms in hydromineral hormones. Horm Res 1998;49:131-5.
6. Crison J, Siersna PR, Taylor MD, Amidon GL. Control release bioact mater. 1995;22:278.
7. Soutar S, Stevens HNE, Mahony BO. Proc Int Symp Controlled Release Bioact Mater. Bioact Mater 2001;28:790.
8. Shweta A, Ali J, Ahuja A, Sanjula B, Javed Q. Pulsatile drug delivery systems: an approach for controlled drug delivery. Indian J Pharm Sci 2006;68:295-300.
9. Patel VR, Patel PV. P pulsatile drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2015;5:3676-88.
10. Hebden JM, Wilson CG, Spiller RC, GilChrist PJ, BlackShaw PE, Frier M, et al. Regional differences in quinine absorption from the undisturbed human colon assessed using a timed release delivery system. Pharm Res 1999;16:1087-92.
11. Burns JS, Stevens HNE, McEwen J, Pritchard G, Brewer FM, Clarke A, Johnsons ES, et al. Development of efficient acid cleavable multifunctional prodrugs derived from dendritic polyglycerol with a poly(ethylene glycol) shell. J Controlled Release 1996;38:151.
12. Bussemer T, Dashevsky A, Bodmeier R. A pulsatile drug delivery system based on rupturable coated hard gelatin capsules. J Controlled Release 2003;93:331.
13. Mohamad A, Dashevsky A. pH-independent pulsatile drug delivery system based on hard gelatin capsules and coated with aqueous dispersion Aquacoat ECD. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2006;64:173-9.
14. Roy P, Shahiwala A. Multiparticulate formulation approach to pulsatile drug delivery: current perspectives. J Controlled Release 2009;134:74-80.
15. Rompicharla B, Prabha KS, Tabasum Md. A comprehensive review of pulsatile drug delivery system. Int Res J Pharm 2012;3:106-8.
16. Amit K, Sonam R. Pulsatile drug delivery system: method and technology review. Int J Drug Dev Res 2012;4:95-107.
17. Rasve G, Borade G, Deshmukh S, Tagalpallewar A. Pulsatile drug delivery system: current scenario. Int J Pharma Bio Sci 2011;2:332-43.
18. Suthar M, Patel U, Brahm Bhatt T, Patel H. Pulsatile drug delivery: a review. Int J Pharm Res Bio Sci 2007;1:3-12.
19. Tajane SR, Kholwal BB, Suryawanshi SS, Tarkase KN. Current trends in pulsatile drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2012;3:358-63.
20. Singh DK, Poddar AS, Nigade SU, Poddar SS. Pulsatile drug delivery system: an overview. Int J Curr Pharm Rev Res 2011;2:55-80z.
21. D’Souza, Sutar KP, Sutar PS, Nadgouda S. The use of chronotherapeutics in design of pulsatile delivery system-a review. J Pharm Sci Innovation 2012;2:50-5.
22. Vinupama S, Shwetha S, Kamath K, Keerthi TS. Pulsatile drug delivery system: a review. Int Bull Drug Res 2012;1:19-31.
23. Gajbhiye ND, Vilasrao JK, Kisan RJ, Anand UK. Pulsatile drug delivery system. J Pharm Res 2010;2:120-3.
24. Singh Anamika, Dubey Harikesh, Shukla Indu, Singh Dharmchand P. Pulsatile drug delivery system: an approach of medication according to circadian rhythm. J Appl Pharm Sci 2012;2:166-76.
25. Singh A, Dubey H, Shukla I, Singh DP. Pulsatile drug delivery system: an approach of medication according to circulation rhythm. J Appl Pharm Sci 2012;2:166-76.
26. Rajput M, Sharma R, Kumar S, Jamil F, Sissodia N. Pulsatile drug delivery system: a review. Int J Res Pharm Biomed Sci 2012;3:118-22.
27. Kumar GA, Bhat A, Lakshmi AP, Reddy K. An overview of stimuli–induced pulsatile drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Tech Res 2010;2:3658-2375.
28. Kanchan Mandal M, Joshi AL, Raval A, Patel YK. Pulsatile drug delivery-a better chronothepy system: a review. World J Pharm Res 2018;7:690-705.
29. Harikeshn D. Pulsatile drug delivery system: an approach of medication according to circadian rhythm. J Appl Pharm Sci 2018;2:166-76.
30. Suresh R. Design, development and evaluation of press coated tablets of an eprosartan mesylate. Bull Pharm Med Sci 2014;2:2347-55.
31. Chourasia MK, Jain SK. Pharmaceutical approaches to colon targeted drug delivery systems. J Pharm Pharm Sci 2003;6:33-66.
32. Kuotsu K, Nikhil B. Drug delivery system based on chronobiology-a review. J Controlled Release 2010;147:314–25.
33. Vipul PP, Soniwala Moinuddin M. Pulsatile drug delivery system for treatment of various inflammatory disorders-a review. Int J Drug Dev Res 2012;4:67-87.
34. Modasiya Moin K, Vishnu PM. Pulsatile drug delivery system for colon–a review. Int J Res Pharm Biomed Sci 2011;2:934-41.
35. Pandit V, Kumar A, Ashawat MS, Verma CP, Kumar P. Recent advancement and technological aspects of pulsatile drug delivery system-a laconic review. Curr Drug Targets 2017;18:1191-203.
36. Patwekar SL, Baramade MK. Controlled release approach to novel multiparticulate drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4:756-63.
37. Ravula AN, Goud BA. Recent advances in oral pulsatile drug delivery. J Adv Pharm Sci 2011;1:57-62.
38. Rosenmayr Templeton L. The elan of delivery technology development. Int Association for Pharmaceutical Technology Newsletter; 2011. p. 2.
39. Dey NS, Majumdar S, Rao MEB. Multiparticulate drug delivery systems for controlled release. Trop J Pharm Res 2008;7:1067-75.
40. Shidhaye S, Dhone A, Budhkar T, Surve C. Technologies in pulsatile drug delivery system. Int J Adv Pharm Biol Chem 2012;1:438-45.
41. Kalantzi LE, Karavas E, Koutris EX, Bikiaris DN. Recent advances in oral pulsatile drug delivery. Recent Pat Drug Delivery Formul 2009;3:49-63.
42. Wani SUD, Gangadharappa HV, Ashish PN. Formulation, development and characterization of drug delivery systems based telmisartan encapsulated in silk fibroin nanosphere’s. Int J Appl Pharm 2019;11:247-54.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.