UTILIZATION OF ION-PAIR COMPLEX FORMATION FOR THE SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC DETERMINATION OF SOME ANTIDEPRESSANT DRUGS IN PHARMACEUTICAL FORMULATIONS
Objective: A new, simple and sensitive spectrophotometric method has been developed for the determination of some antidepressant drugs, namely desvenlafaxine (DSV), dapoxetine (DAP) and citalopram (CIT) in pharmaceutical formulations.
Methods: The proposed method was based on the formation of yellow colored ion-pair complex between the studied drugs and two sulphonphthalein dyes viz., bromophenol blue (BPB), and bromothymol blue (BTB) in acidic medium. The optimizations of the reaction conditions were investigated. Beer's law limits, Sandell's sensitivity, correlation coefficient, detection, and quantification limits were calculated.
Results: The formed complexes showed absorption maxima at 412 nm and 410 nm measured for all the drugs with BPB and BTB, respectively. The Job's method of continuous variations indicated that a single l: l ion-pair complex was formed. Calibration curves were linear over the concentration range of 0.8â€“11.4, 0.8â€“6.4 and 0.8â€“8.0 Î¼g/ml for DSV, DAP and CIT, respectively.
Conclusion: The proposed method has been applied successfully for the analysis of the investigated drugs in pure and in their dosage forms. No interference was observed from common excipients present in pharmaceutical formulations. The proposed method is suitable for quality control applications.
Keywords: Desvenlafaxine, Dapoxetine, Citalopram, Sulphonphthalein dyes, Extraction spectrophotometry, Pharmaceutical formulations
2. Matoga M, Pehourcq F, Titier K, Dumora F, Jarry C. Rapid high-performance liquid chromatographic measurement of venlafaxine and O-desmethyl venlafaxine in human plasma: application to management of acute intoxications. J Chromatogr B: Biomed Sci Appl 2001;760:213â€“8.
3. Pawar SM, Dhaneshwar SR. Application of stability indicating high performance thin layer chromatographic method for quantitation of desvenlafaxine in pharmaceutical dosage form. J Liq Chromatogr Relat Technol 2012;35:499â€“510.
4. Ardakani KH, Foroumadi A, Rouini MR. Development and validation of a rapid HPLC-fluorescence method for simultaneous determination of venlafaxine and its major metabolites in human plasma. Daru 2010;18:97â€“102.
5. Roberto M, Laura M, Roberta C, Salvatore F, Mario A, Maria AR. Analysis of the second generation antidepressant venlafaxine and its main active metabolite O-desmethyl venlafaxine in human plasma by HPLC with spectrofluorimetric detection. J Chromatogr B: Anal Technol Biomed Life Sci 2007;856:88â€“94.
6. Waschgler R, Moll W, KÃ¶nig P, Conca A. Therapeutic drug monitoring of trazodone: are there pharmacokinetic interactions involving citalopram and fluoxetine. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 2004;42:120â€“4.
7. Fanali S, Catarcini P, Quaglia MG. Use of vancomycin silica stationary phase in packed capillary electrochromatography: III. Enantiomeric separation of basic compounds with the polar organic mobile phase. Electrophoresis 2002;23:477â€“85.
8. Labat L, Deveaux M, Dallet P, Dubost JP. Separation of new antidepressants and their metabolites by micellar electrokinetic capillary chromatography. J Chromatogr B: Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2002;773:17â€“23.
9. Desiderio C, Aturki Z, Fanali S. Use of vancomycin silica stationary phase in packed capillary electrochromatography I. Enantiomer separation of basic compounds. Electrophoresis 2001;22:535â€“43.
10. Fanali S, Rudaz S, Veuthey JL, Desiderio C. Use of vancomycin silica stationary phase in packed capillary electrochromatography: II. Enantiomer separation of venlafaxine and O-desmethyl-venlafaxine in human plasma. J Chromatogr A 2001;919:195â€“203.
11. Rudaz S, Stella C, Balant-Gorgia E, Fanali S, Veuthey JL. Simultaneous stereoselective analysis of venlafaxine and O-desmethyl-venlafaxine enantiomers in clinical samples by capillary electrophoresis using charged cyclodextrins. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2000;23:107â€“15.
12. Sanghavi BJ, Srivastava AK. Adsorptive stripping differential pulse voltammetric determination of venlafaxine and desvenlafaxine employing Nafionâ€“carbon nanotube composite glassy carbon electrode. Electrochim Acta 2011;56:4188â€“96.
13. Liu W, Cai HL, Li HD. A high-performance liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization mass spectrometry (HPLC-MS/ESI) method for the simultaneous determination of venlafaxine and its three metabolites in human plasma. J Chromatogr B: Anal Technol Biomed Life Sci 2007;850:405â€“11.
14. Shah GR, Thaker BT, Surati KR, Parabia MH. Simultaneous determination of venlafaxine and its main active metabolite o-desmethyl venlafaxine in rat plasma by LC-MS/MS. Anal Sci 2009;25:1207â€“10.
15. Rajasekhar D, Kumar IJ, Venkateswarlu P. Rapid high-performance liquid chromatographyâ€“tandem mass spectrometry method for simultaneous measurement of venlafaxine and O-desmethyl-venlafaxine in human plasma and its application in comparative bioavailability study. Biomed Chromatogr 2009;23:1300â€“7.
16. de Castro A, Concheiro M, Quintela O, Cruz A, LÃ“pez-Rivadulla M. LCâ€“MS/MS method for the determination of nine antidepressants and some of their main metabolites in oral fluid and plasma: Study of correlation between venlafaxine concentrations in both matrices. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2008;48:183â€“93.
17. Castaing N, Titier K, Receveur-Daurel M, Le-Deodic M, Le-Bars D, Moore N, et al. Quantification of eight new antidepressants and five of their active metabolites in whole blood by high-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Anal Toxicol 2007;31:334â€“41.
18. Dresser MJ, Kang D, Staehr P, Gidwani S, Guo C, Mulhall JP, et al. Pharmacokinetics of dapoxetine, a new treatment for premature ejaculation: impact of age and effects of a high-fat meal. J Clin Pharmacol 2006;46:1023â€“9.
19. McMahon CG, Althof SE, Kaufman JM, Buvat J, Levine SB, Aquilina JW, et al. Efficacy and safety of dapoxetine for the treatment of premature ejaculation: integrated analysis of results from five phase 3 trials. J Sex Med 2011;8:524â€“39.
20. Kim TK, Kim IS, Hong SH, Choi YK, Kim H, Yoo HH. Determination of dapoxetine in rat plasma by ultra-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B: Anal Technol Biomed Life Sci 2013;926:42â€“6.
21. Abirami G, Anandakumar K, Velmurugan R. Development and validation of UV spectroscopy method for the determination of dapoxetine hydrochloride in a pharmaceutical formulation. J Pharm Res 2012;5:1949â€“51.
22. Giri AD, Bhusari VK, Dhaneshwar SR. Validated HPLC method for simultaneous quantitation of tadalafil and dapoxetine hydrochloride in bulk drug and formulation. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4:654â€“8.
23. Banik S. A simple and rapid validated UV spectrophotometric method for estimation of dapoxetine in bulk and tablet dosage form. Indian J Novel Drug Delivery 2014;6:277â€“81.
24. Kolsure A, Hiremath R. Development and validation of UV spectrophotometric area under the curve (AUC) method for dapoxetine HCl in a pharmaceutical formulation. J Pharm Sci Biosci Res 2015;5:475â€“8.
25. Mehta P, Sahoo U, Seth AK. Development and validation of a RP-HPLC method for the determination of dapoxetine hydrochloride in the pharmaceutical formulation using an experimental design. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2011;6:76â€“82.
26. Nataraj KS, Reddy KK, Kumar DK, Kumar SS. Simple validated UV spectrophotometric method for estimation of dapoxetine. J Chem Pharm Sci 2011;4:105â€“7.
27. Rohith T, Ananda S. A validated a chiral liquid chromatographic method for the enantiomeric separation of dapoxetine hydrochloride. Int J Adv Res Pharm Biol Sci 2012;2:311â€“9.
28. Budavari S. The Merck Index. 14th edn. Merck and Co., Inc, Whitehouse Station; 2007. p. 387.
29. Brunton LL, Parker KL, Blumenthal DK, Buxton I. Goodman and Gilmanâ€™s. The pharmacological basis of therapeutics. McGraw-Hill, New York; 2008.
30. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citalopram. [Last accessed on 10 Jan 2016].
31. Sweetman SC. Martindale: The complete drug reference. Pharmaceutical Press: London; 2005.
32. Olesen OV, Linnet K. Simplified high-performance liquid chromatographic method for the determination of citalopram and desmethyl citalopram in serum without interference from commonly used psychotropic drugs and their metabolites. J Chromatogr B 1996;675:83â€“8.
33. Duverneuil C, De La Grandmaison GL, De Mazancourt P, Alvarez JC. A high-performance liquid chromatography method with photodiode array UV detection for therapeutic drug monitoring of the nontricyclic antidepressant drugs. Ther Drug Monit 2003;25:565â€“73.
34. Frahnert C, Rao ML, Grasmader K. Analysis of eighteen antidepressants, four atypical antipsychotics and active metabolites in serum by liquid chromatography: a simple tool for therapeutic drug monitoring. J Chromatogr B 2003;794:35â€“47.
35. Matsui E, Hoshino M, Matsui A, Okahira A. Simultaneous determination of citalopram and its metabolites by high-performance liquid chromatography with column switching and fluorescence detection by direct plasma injection. J Chromatogr B: Biomed Appl 1995;668:299â€“307.
36. Rochat B, Amey M, Baumann P. Analysis of enantiomers of citalopram and its demethylated metabolites in plasma of depressive patients by chiral reverse-phase liquid chromatography. Ther Drug Monit 1995;17:273â€“9.
37. Meng Q, Gauthier D. Simultaneous analysis of citalopram and desmethyl citalopram by liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection after solid-phase extraction. Clin Biochem 2005;38:282â€“5.
38. Juan H, Zhiling Z, Huande L. Simultaneous determination of fluoxetine, citalopram, paroxetine, venlafazine in plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization mass spectrometry (HPLCC-MS/ESI). J Chromatogr B 2005;820:33â€“9.
39. Gutteck U, Rensch KM. Therapeutic drug monitoring of 13 antidepressant and five neuroleptic drugs in serum with liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization mass spectrometry. Clin Chem Lab Med 2003;41:1571â€“9.
40. Kollroser M, Schober C. An on-line solid phase extraction liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry method for the analysis of citalopram, fluvoxamine and paroxetine in human plasma. Chromatographia 2003;57:133â€“8.
41. Gergov M, Nokua J, Rasanen I, Ojenpera I. Validation and quality assurance of a broad scale gas chromatographic screening method for drugs. Z Zagadnien Nauk Sadowych 2000;43:70â€“8.
42. Sane RT, Francis M, Dawkhar BS. Quantitative gas chromatographic determination of citalopram in pharmaceutical formulations. Indian Drugs 2002;39:525â€“8.
43. Flores JR, Nevado JJB, Salcedo AMC, Diaz MPC. Development of a capillary zone electrophoretic method to determine six antidepressants in their pharmaceutical preparations experimental design for evaluating the ruggedness of method. J Sep Sci 2004;27:33â€“40.
44. Buzinkaiova T, Polonsky J. Determination of four selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors by capillary isotachophoresis. Electrophoresis 2000;21:2839â€“41
45. Bjorhovde A, Halvorsen TG, Rasmussen KE, Pedersen-Bjergaard S. Liquid-phase microextraction of drugs from human breast milk. Anal Chim Acta 2003;491:155â€“61.
46. Asad R. Development and application of spectrophotometric methods for the determination of citalopram hydrobromide in dosage forms. Chem Pharm Bull 2006;54:432â€“4.
47. Asad R, Tariq MA, Shahida BN. Spectrophotometric determination of citalopram in pharmaceutical formulations. J Chem Soc Pak 2008;30:241â€“5.
48. Badiadka N, Kunnummel V. Spectrophotometric determination of citalopram hydrobromide in pharmaceuticals. J Mex Chem Soc 2010;54:98â€“102.
49. Vasantharaju SG, Prabu SL, Jacob A. Spectrofluorimetric method for determination of citalopram in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage forms. Indian J Pharm Sci 2008;70:647â€“8.
50. Satana HE, Nusret E, Nilgun GG. Spectrofluorimetric determination of citalopram HBr in tablets. FABAD J Pharm Sci 2007;32:73â€“7.
51. El-Sherbiny DT. Spectrofluorimetric determination of citalopram in pharmaceutical preparations and spiked human plasma using organized media. J AOAC Int 2006;89:1288â€“95.
52. Thomas LC. 8th Edn. Colorimetric chemical analytical methods. Tintometer Ltd Salisbury, England; 1974. p. 27.
53. Diamond RM. Solvent extraction chemistry. North Holland, Amsterdam; 1967. p. 349.
54. Job P. Formation and stability of inorganic complexes in solution. Ann Chim Farm 1928;9:113â€“203.
55. Winefordner JD, Long GL. Limit of detection: a closer look at IUPAC definition. Anal Chem 1983;55:712Aâ€“24A.