RAPID ISOLATION OF THE BIOACTIVE METABOLITE OF CYMBOPOGON PROXIMUS AND DEVELOPMENT OF LC METHOD
Objective: Development of a rapid isolation method to afford the bioactive metabolite (proximadiol: prox) from its herb (Cymbopogan proximus Stapf.) in the purest form and validate an LC method for its determination was our goal in this work.
Methods: Prox was isolated by chromatographic techniques from the dichloromethane extract of the herb on alumina column, using petroleum ether-ethyl acetate solvent mixtures with increasing polarity.
The determination of prox was achieved by LC method. The chromatographic separation was carried out on Thermo Hypersil ODS (4.5 x 250 mm, 10 Âµm) column, in the presence of 8-chlorotheophylline as an internal standard. The mobile phase was composed of 0.1 M phosphate buffer (pH: 3.5): methanol (60:40 v/v) and was pumped at a flow rate of 1 ml/min. The detection and quantification were done at 210 nm.
Results: The structure elucidation of the isolated compound was identified on the basis of its spectral data.
A simple and reproducible LC method was developed for the determination of the isolated purified Prox. Adequate separation and good resolution were obtained between prox and 8-chlorotheophylline. Quantification was achieved at 210 nm over concentration range 12.00-33.60 Âµg/ml with mean percentage recovery of 99.29Â±0.340. The method was validated in accordance with USP specifications. All analytical criterions were within acceptable range. The validity of the results was assessed by applying standard addition technique. The results obtained were compared with the reported method.
Conclusion: The proposed method could be applied for routine quality control analysis of pharmaceutical formulations containing prox.
2. Van der Kooy F, Federica Maltese F, Choi YH, Kim HK, Verpoorte R. Quality control of herbal material and phytopharmaceuticals with MS and NMR-based metabolic fingerprinting. Planta Med 2009;75:763-75.
3. Ahmad I, Aqil F, Owais M. Modern phytomedicine. Turning medicinal plants into drugs. Weinheim; WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH and Co. KGaA; 2006.
4. El-askary HI, Meselhy MR, Galal AM. Sesquiterpenes from Cymbopogon proximus. Molecules 2003;8:670-7.
5. http://en.chembase.cn/molecule-305224.html. [Last accessed on 10 Oct 2016]
6. Locksley HD, Fayez MBE, Radwan AS, Chari VM, Cordell GA, Wagner H. Constituents of local plants: XXV, the constitution of the antispasmodic principle of Cymbopogon Proximus. Planta Med 1982;45:20-2.
7. Evans FE, Miller DW, Cairns T, Baddeley GV, Wenker E. Structure analysis of proximadiol (cryptomeridiol) by 13CNMR spectroscopy. Phytochemistry 1982;21:937-8.
8. Abou-Shoer MI, Fathy HM, Omar AA. Extract-template modeling and pattern recognition in the assessment of Cymbopogon proximus. Am J Anal Chem 2011;2:500-10.
9. Radwan AS. An analytical method for proximadiol, the active principle of Cymbopogon Proximus. Planta Med 1975;27:93-7.
10. Temraz AA, El-naggar D. Development of TLC-densitometeric method used for quantitative estimation of some natural pharmaceutical preparations in the Egyptian market. J Am Sci 2012;8:367-71.
11. Atri P, Bhatti M, Kamboj A. Development and validation of rapid reverse phase high-performance liquid chromatography method for simultaneous estimation of stigmasterol and Î²-sitosterol in extracts of various parts (leaves, stems and roots) of Xanthium strumarium Linn. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:234-8.
12. Wagner H, Bladt S, Zgainski EM. Plant drug analysis. Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, Tokyo: Springer-Verlag; 1984.
13. Kengne ABO, Tene M, Tchinda AT, Pierre Tane P, FrÃ©dÃ©rich M. Terpenoids from Phaulopsis imbricata (Acanthaceae). J Med Plants Res 2016;10:122-9.
14. Werner I, Mucaji P, Presser A, Glasl S. Sesquiterpenes and phenolic compounds from Achillea clypeolata. Z Naturforsch 2007;62b:267-71.
15. Santos HM, Lodeiro C, Capelo-Martinez JL. The power of ultrasound. In: Capelo-Martinez JL. Ed. Ultrasound in chemistry: Analytical applications. WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH and Co. KGaA, Weinheim; 2009.
16. http://www.dynamicadsorbents.com/aluminasuperior.htm [Last accessed on 10 Oct 2016]
17. The United States Pharmacopoeia (USP39), the United States Pharmacopoeial Convention, Rockville; 2016.
18. Hadad G. Validated stability-indicating HPLC method for the determination of dimethyl-4,4'-dimethoxy-5,6,5',6'-dimethylene dioxybiphenyl-2,2'-dicarboxylate (DDB) and its degradation products. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2008;47:695-703.