PREPARATION AND EVALUATION OF CO-CRYSTALS OF CARBAMAZEPINE WITH GLUCOMANNAN
Objective: The objective of the present work was to inhibit transformation of carbamazepine anhydrous to its dihydrate form in aqueous medium by adopting the co-crystal approach.
Methods: Co-crystallization of carbamazepine and glucomannan as co-former was carried out by solution mediated phase transformation. The solution of carbamazepine and glucomannan in ethanol (95%) was agitated for 2 h and the co-crystals obtained were recovered after 24 h.
Results: Co-crystal formation due to hydrogen bonding between carbamazepine and glucomannan as a co-former was confirmed by FTIR study. Inhibition of transformation of co-crystal of carbamazepine to carbamazepine dihydrate in aqueous medium was confirmed by SEM.
Conclusion: Inhibition of transformation of carbamazepine co-crystal to its dihydrate form resulted in its improved dissolution. Dissolution efficiency of carbamazepine in its co-crystal was increased up to 79.26% within 30 min.
2. Ali S, Karim Z, Aholghasem J. Solubility and dissolution rate of carbamazepine-cinnamic acid co-crystal. J Mol Liq 2013;187:171-6.
3. Fukte SR, Wagh MP, Shilpi R. Coformer selection: an important tool in co-crystal formation. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:9-14.
4. Harris RK, Ghi PY, Puschmann H, Apperley DC, Grisser UJ, Hammond RB, et al. Structural studies of the polymorphs of carbamazepine; its dihydrate and two solvates. Org Proc Res Dev 2005;9:902-10.
5. Rao CNR. Basic concepts, Instrumentation and techniques: chemical applications of infrared spectroscopy. Academic Press: New York and London; 1963.
6. Zhang GG, Henry RF, Borchardt TB, Lou X. Efficient co-crystal screening using solution mediated phase transformation. J Pharm Sci 2007;96:990-5.
7. Hardikar SR, Bhosale AV, Chaundkar D, Saindane A. Dissolution and bioavailibity enhancement of carbamazepine. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5:395-400.
8. Chua M, Chan K, Hocking TJ, Williams PA, Perry CJ. Methodologies for the extraction and analysis of konjac glucomannan from corms of A. konjac K. Koch. Carbohyd Polym 2012;87:2202-10.
9. Szakonyi G, Zelko R. Water content determination of super disintegrants by means of ATR-FTIR spectroscopy. J Pharmaceut Biomed 2012;63:106-11.
10. Indian Pharmacopoeia. Government of India, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, I: Controller of Publications, Delhi; 1996.
11. Sandler N, Gordan KC. Visualizing the conversion of Carbamazepine in aqueous suspension with and without the presence of excipient: a single crystal study using SEM and raman spectroscopy. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2006;64:326-35.
12. Khan KA. The concept of dissolution efficiency. J Pharm Pharmacol 1975;27:48-9.