INHIBITORY ACTIVITIES OF CAMELLIA MISTLETOE (K. JAPONICA) EXTRACTS ON PANCREATIC LIPASE, TYROSINASE AND CANCER CELL PROLIFERATION
Objective: The objective of this study was undertaken to examine pancreatic lipase and tyrosinase inhibitory activities of Camellia mistletoe (Korthalsella japonica) extracts and conduct their antiproliferative activity on several human cancer (Hela, A375, HCT 116, HepG2 and A549) and normal cells (TK6) lines.
Methods: The lipase inhibitory activity of acts of Camellia mistletoe extracts were determined from the hydrolytic reaction of p-nitrophenyl butyrate with pancreatic lipase and cytotoxicity against human cancer and normal cell lines were also evaluated using the MTT assay. The in vitro tyrosinase inhibitor potency of Camellia mistletoe extracts was estimated using mushroom tyrosinase.
Results: Both methanol and ethanol extracts of Camellia mistletoe exhibited an inhibitory effect on lipase inhibition activity with IC50 values of 0.39 and 0.49 mg/ml, respectively. Moreover, Camellia mistletoe extracts were judged to be strongly active against the cancer cell lines, while they had no antiproliferative activity against the normal human cell lines. However, they had little inhibitory effects on tyrosinase activity.
Conclusion: Camellia mistletoe extracts could be the good sources of natural lipase inhibition and anticancer agents with a great potential to be used in food and therapeutic fields.
2. Zuber D. Biological flora of central Europe: Viscum album L. Flora 2004;199:181-203.
3. Ishizu T, Winarno H, Tsujno E, Morita T, Shibuya H. Indonesian Medicinal Plants. XXIV. Stereochemical structure of Perseitol-K+complex isolated from the leaves of Scurrulafusca (Loranthaceae). Chem Pharm Bull 2002;50:489-92.
4. Kim MK, Yun KJ, Lim DH, Kim JJ, Jang YP. Anti-inflammatory properties of flavone di-C-glycosides as active principles of camelliamistletoe, Korthalsella japonica. Biomol Ther 2016;19:1-8.
5. Osadebe PO, Okide GB, Akabogu IC. Study on anti-diabetic activities of crude methanolic extracts of Loranthusmicranthus (Linn.) sourced from five different host trees. J Ethnopharmacol 2004;95:133-8.
6. Kang DH, Park EM, Kim JH, Yang JW, Kim JH, Kim MY. Bioactive compounds and antioxidant activity of Jejucamellia mistletoe (Korthalsella japonica Engl.). J Life Sci 2016;26:1074-81.
7. Kang DH, Kim MY. Antimicrobial activity of Korean camellia mistletoe (Korthalsella japonica (Thunb.) Engl.) extracts. J Appl Pharm Sci 2016;6:226-30.
8. Hajt T, Hostanska K, Berki T, PT PT L, Boldizsdi F, NF Nz P. Oncopharmacological perspectives of a plant lectin (Viscum album Agglutinin-I): an overview of recent results from in vitro experiments and in vivo animal models, and their possible relevance for clinical applications. J Evidence-Based Complementary Altern Med 2005;2:59-67.
9. Dechakhamphu A, Wongchum N. Screening for anti-pancreatic lipase properties of 28 traditional Thai medicinal herbs. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2015;5:1042-5.
10. Kawaguchi K, Mizuno T, Aida K, Uchino K. Hesperidin as an inhibitor of lipases from porcine pancreas and Pseudomonas. Biosci Biotech Biochem 1997;61:102-4.
11. Park KM, Kwon KM, Lee SH. Evaluation of the antioxidant activities and tyrosinase inhibitory property from mycelium culture extracts. J Evidence-Based Complementary Altern Med 2015;1-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/616298
12. Malik M, Kanwal N, Hussain A. Role of community pharmacist and nutritionists in obesity management: a literature review. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:40-2.
13. WHO. Obesity and Overweight. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 2003.
14. James WPT, Caterson ID, Coutinho W, Finer N, Van Gaal LF, Maggioni AP, et al. Effect of sibutramine on cardiovascular outcomes in overweight and obese subjects. N Engl J Med 2010;363:905-17.
15. Bray GA, Greenway FL. Current and potential drugs for the treatment of obesity. Endocr Rev 1999;20:805-75.
16. Yun JW. Possible anti-obesity therapeutics from the nature-a review. Phytochemistry 2010;71:1625-41.
17. Kim GN, Shin MR, Shin SH, Lee AR, Lee JY, Seo BI, et al. Study of antiobesity effect through inhibition of pancreatic lipase activity of Diospyros kaki fruit and Citrus unshiu peel. Biomed Res Int 2016;1-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/1723042
18. Conforti F, Perri V, Menichini F, Marrelli M, Uzunov D, Statti GA, Menichini F. Wild mediterranean dietary plants as inhibitors of pancreatic lipase. Phytother Res 2012;26:600-4.
19. Sanchez-Ferrer A, Rodrygez-Lopez JN, Garcya-Carmona F. Tyrosinase: a comprehensive review of its mechanism. Biochem Biophys Acta 1995;1247:1-11.
20. Chang TS. An updated review of tyrosinase inhibitors. Int J Mol Sci 2009;10:2440-75.
21. Uchida R, Ishikawa S, Tomoda H. Inhibition of tyrosinase activity and melanin pigmentation by 2-hydroxytyrosol. Acta Pharm Sin B 2014;4:141-5.
22. Ruksiriwanich W, Sringarm K, Jantrawut P. Stability enhancement of Celastruspaniculatusseed oil by loading in niosomes. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:186-91.
23. Lee KK, Kim MK, Song YS, Lee M. The composition of phenolic acids and flavonoids, and beauty cosmetic biological activities of Korean mistletoe(Viscum album) extracts. Int J BioSci Biotech 2013;5:175-82.
24. Rosangkima G, Prasad SB. Antitumour activity of some plants from Meghalaya and Mizoram against murine ascites. Doltonity Some Indian J Exp Biol 2004;42:981-8.