A VALIDATED LC-MS/MS METHOD FOR PHARMACOKINETIC STUDY OF CANAGLIFLOZIN IN HEALTHY RABBITS
Objective: A liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrophotometric (LC-MS/MS) method was developed for quantification of canagliflozin in rabbit plasma employing Liquid-Liquid extraction technique.
Methods: Chromatographic separation was achieved on Inertsil ODS 5 Âµm C18, 50Ã—4.60 mmÂ with 30:70 v/v of 0.01M ammonium acetate: methanol as an isocratic mobile phase with a flow rate of 0.8 ml/min. The developed LC-MS method was applied to assess Cmax, t1/2, AUC0-t, and AUC0-inf of canagliflozin tablet after oral administration in healthy rabbits.
Results: The developed method was linear over working range of 5ng/ml to 600ng/ml with a coefficient of correction (r2) = 0.999. The % recovery of the method was found to be 102.05%. The mean intraday and inter-day precision of the method was found to be 0.77 to 3.72%. The Canagliflozin showed Tmax of 1.58Â±0.2 and mean Cmax, AUC0Â®t andAUC0Â®a for Test formulation is 272Â±13.24, 2571.20Â±251and 2777.43Â±276 respectively.
Conclusion: The developed method can be applied for routine analysis for quality control and the established LLOQ is sufficiently low to conduct a pharmacokinetic study with any marketing formulation of Canagliflozin in healthy rabbits.
2. Sha S, Devineni D, Ghosh A. Canagliflozin, a novel inhibitor of sodium glucose co-transporter 2, dose-dependently reduces calculated the renal threshold for glucose excretion and increases urinary glucose excretion in healthy subjects. Diabetes Obes Metab 2011;13:669â€“72.
3. Lee YJ, Lee YJ, Han HJ. Regulatory mechanisms of Na(Ã¾)/glucose cotransporters in renal proximal tubule cells. Kidney Int Suppl 2007;106:S27-S35.
4. Nair S, Wilding JP. Sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitors as a new treatment for diabetes mellitus. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2010;95:34-42.
5. Suneetha, D Sharmila. A validated stability indicating an RP-HPLC method for estimation of canagliflozin in the dosage form. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2015;6:1186-94.
6. Maddu S, Manasa K, Rajakumari Ch, Lakshmaiah B. RP-HPLC method development and validation for the estimation of canagliflozin in tablet dosage form. Int J Pharm 2014;5:1288-92.
7. Ishpreet K, Sharad W, Harsharan PS, Satish M. Development and validation of a stability-indicating reverse phase HPLC-PDA method for determination of canagliflozin in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Pharm Methods 2016;7:54-62.
8. Sonia D, Muddu K, Gude SS, Vasantharaju SG. Stability indicating assay method development and validation to simultaneously estimate metformin hydrochloride and canagliflozin by RP-HPLC. Curr Trends Biotechnol Pharm 2016;10:334-42.
9. Ishpreet K, Sharad W, Harsharan PS, Satish M. Development and validation of UV spectroscopic method for determination of canagliflozin in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Pharm Methods 2015;6:82-6.
10. Ishpreet K, Sharad W, Harsharan PS. Development and validation of a stability-indicating high-performance thin layer chromatography (HPTLC) method for estimation of canagliflozin in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. J Appl Pharm Sci 2016;6:51-7.
11. Iqbal M, Ezzeldin E, Al-Rashood KA, Asiri YA, Rezk NL. Rapid determination of canagliflozin in rat plasma by UHPLCâ€“MS/MS using negative ionization mode to avoid adduct-ions formation. Talanta 2015;132:29-36.
12. Kobuchi S, Yano K, Ito Y, Sakaeda T. A validated LC-MS/MS method for the determination of canagliflozin, a sodium-glucose cotransporter 2(SGLT-2) inhibitor, in a lower volume of rat plasma: application to pharmacokinetic studies in rats. Biomed Chromatogr 2016;30:1549-55.
13. ICH guidelines for the stability of new drug substances and products. Q1A(R2) ICH, Geneva; 2005. p. 1-13.
14. ICH guidelines for validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology. Q2(R1) ICH, Geneva; 2005. p. 1-14.
15. Rambabu M, Nageswara P, Vasu Babu R, Adireddy V, Ajitha M. Simultaneous determination of artesunate and amodiaquine in human plasma using LC-MS/MS and its application to a pharmacokinetic study. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:105-12.
16. Sindhusri M, Swetha T, Ramadevi A, Ashok Kumar A. A novel rapid RP-HPLC method development and validation for the quantitative estimation of balofloxacin in tablets. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;7:319-22.
17. Raveendra Babu G, Lakshmana Rao A, Venkateswara Rao J. A rapid RP-HPLC method development and validation for the quantitative estimation ribavirin in tablets. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;7:60-3.
18. Darshan B, Rajkamal B. A UPLC-MS/MS method development and validation for the estimation of sofosbuvir from human plasma. Int J Appl Pharm 2017;9:30-6.
19. Srinidhi M, Mushabbar Basha MD, V Raj Kumar, Rajendra Kumar J. Stability indicating RP-HPLC method development and validation for the estimation of sumatriptan in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. J Appl Pharm Sci 2016;6:20-5.