DETERMINATION OF WEDELOLACTONE AND DEMETHYLWEDELOLACTONE IN ECLIPTA ALBA (L) HASSK BY HPLC
Objective: In the present paper, an accurate High Pressure Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) method was developed and validated to determine quantitatively wedelolactone (WL) and demethylwedelolactone (DWL) in herbal extract of Eclipta alba (L.) Hassk grown in the Northeast of Brazil. Consequently, an extraction technique was developed using different parts of the plant and the technique was optimized to assess the efficacy of extraction using different solvents.
Methods: This study presents the High Pressure Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) analysis of the WL and DWL contents in various parts of the plant using different solvents and extraction methods.
Results: Quantitative HPLC analyses of the methanolic extract obtained via Soxhlet extraction showed that the highest WL concentration was found in the E. alba leaves (1.152 % w/w of dry leaf) and the highest concentrations of DWL were found in the stems (0.395 % w/w of dry stem). Quantitative HPLC analyses also showed a higher concentration of WL (0.271 % w/w of dry whole plant) and DWL (0.184 % w/w of dry whole plant) using water: ethanol extraction, compared with the Soxhlet extraction in methanol, concentration of WL (0.233 % w/w of dry whole plant) and DWL (0.159 % w/w of dry whole plant).
Conclusion: HPLC analyses revealed the presence of the two coumestans in all the extracts analysed. Moreover, when analyzing the methanolic E. alba extract, the highest concentrations of WL and DWL are present in the leaves and in the stems respectively.
2. Mithun NM, Shashidhara S, Vivek Kumar R. Eclipta alba (L.) A Review on its phytochemical and pharmacological profile. Pharmacologyonline 2011;1:345-57.
3. Thakur VD, Mengi SA. Neuropharmacological profile of Eclipta alba (Linn.) Hassk. J Ethnopharmacol 2005;102(1):23-31.
4. Rangineni V, Sharada D, Saxena S. Diuretic, hypotensive, and hypocholesterolemic effects of Eclipta alba in mild hypertensive subjects: a pilot study. J Med Food 2007;10(1):143-8.
5. Amin A, Buratovich M. The anti-cancer charm of flavonoids: a cup-of-tea will do! Recent Pat Anticancer Drug Discov 2007;2(2):109-17.
6. Wagner H, Geyer B, Kiso Y, Hikino H, Rao GS. Coumestans as the main active principles of the liver drugs Eclipta alba and Wedellia calendulacea. Planta Med 1986;52(5):370-4.
7. Dalal S, Kataria SK, Sastry KV, Rana SVS. Phytochemical screening of methanolic extract and antibacterial activity of active principles of hepatoprotective herb, eclipta alba. Ethnobotanic Leaflets 2010;14:248-58.
8. Lenza VA, Morel LJF, Coppede JS, Fernandes VC, Martinez-Rossi NM, FranÃ§a SC, et al. Antimicrobial activities of ethanol extract and coumestans from Eclipta alba (L.) Hassk (Asteraceae). Lat Am J Pharm 2009;28(6):863-8.
9. Benes P, Knopfova L, Trcka F, Nemajerova A, Pinheiro D, Soucek K, et al. Inhibition of topoisomerase IIa: novel function of wedelolactone. Cancer Lett 2011;303(1):29â€“38.
10. Diogo LC, Fernandes RS, Marcussi SM, Menaldo DL, Roberto PG, Matrangulo PVF, et al. Inhibition of snake venoms and phospholipases A2 by extracts from native and genetically modified Eclipta alba: isolation of active coumestans. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 2009;104(4):293-9.
11. Melo PA, Pinheiro DA, Ricardo HD, Fernandes FFA, Tomaz MA, El-Kik CZ, et al. Ability of a synthetic coumestan to antagonize Bothrops snake venom activities. Toxicon 2010;55(2-3):488â€“96.
12. Savita K, Prakashchandra K. Optimization of extraction conditions and development of a sensitive HPTLC method for estimation of wedelolactone in different extracts of Eclipta alba. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res 2011;3(1):56-61.
13. Thorat RM, Jadhav VM, Kadam VJ, Kamble SS, Salaskar KP. Development of HPTLC method for estimation of wedelolactone, quercetin and jatamansone in polyherbal formulation. Int J Chem Technol Res 2009;1(4):1079-86.
14. Zafar R, Sagar BPS. In vitro regeneration of Eclipta Alba and increased production of coumestans. Fitoterapia 1999;70(4):348-56.
15. Rai P, Mishra SH. Development of a simple and sensitive spectrophotometric method for the simultaneous determination of asiaticoside and wedelolactone in a polyherbal formulation. Pharmacogn Mag 2007;3(9):47-51.
16. Patel MB, Mishra SH. A simple spectrofluorometric estimation of wedelolactone in methanol extract of Eclipta alba. Pharmacogn Mag 2006;2(7):168-71.
17. Silva MGV, Vieira IGP, Mendes FNP, dos Santos RN, Silva FO, Morais SM. Variation of ursolic acid content in eight ocimum species from Northeastern Brazil. Molecules 2008;13(10):2482-7.