BIOFABRICATION OF SILVER NANOPARTICLES USING AQUEOUS LEAF EXTRACT OF MELIA DUBIA, CHARACTERIZATION AND ANTIFUNGAL ACTIVITY
Objective: To investigate the bio-fabrication of silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) using aqueous leaf extract of Melia dubia (ALM) and test the antifungal activity of AgNPs against pathogenic fungi Aspergillus niger and Candida tropicalis.
Methods: 10 ml of aqueous leaf extract of Melia dubia was added to 90 ml of 1 mM silver nitrate and incubated for 8h at room temperature. After incubation, the color change was observed from light yellow to dark brown. The synthesized AgNPs were characterized using UV-Vis spectroscopy, Fourier Transform Infra red spectroscopy (FTIR), Energy Dispersive X-ray Spectroscopy (EDX), Scanning Electron microscopy (SEM), X-ray diffraction analysis (XRD) and Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM). Antifungal activity against Aspergillus niger and Candida tropicalis was carried out by employing the disc diffusion method.
Results: UV-Vis spectra confirmed the synthesis of AgNPs by showing characteristic peak between 380-450 nm*. FTIR spectra showed the functional groups possibly involved in the synthesis of AgNPs. EDX confirms the presence of elemental silver at 3 Kev. SEM and AFM showed the synthesized AgNPs were spherical in shape with size ranging between 20-40 nm*. XRD analysis revealed the crystalline nature of AgNPs with face centred cubic (FCC) lattice. AgNPs was found to be very effective against the tested pathogenic fungi A. niger and C. tropicalis and formed the inhibition zones 13.0 and 14.5 mm respectively.
Conclusion: It is concluded that the bio-fabrication of AgNPs using aqueous leaf extract of Melia dubia was robust and rapid. The AgNPs were stable and proved to be excellent antifungal agents.
2. Jain PK, Huang X, El-Sayed IH, EL-Sayed MA. Noble metals on the nanosc ALM: optical and photothermal properties andsomeapplications in imaging, sensing,biology, and medicine. Acc Chem Res 2008;41:1578â€“86.
3. Hayat MA (Ed.), Colloidal Gold: Principles, Methods and Applications: Academic Press, San Diego, CA; 1989.
4. Catauro M, Raucci MG, De Gaaetano FD, Marotta A. Solâ€“gel processing of drug delivery materials and release kinetics. J Mater Sci Mater Med 2005;16(3):261-5.
5. Cao YW, Jin R, Mirkin CA. DNA-Modiï¬ed Core-Shell Ag/Au Nanoparticles. J Am Chem Soc 2001;123:7961-2.
6. Sreemanti D, Jayeeta D, Asmita S, Soumya SB, Durba D, Anisur R. Biosynthesized silver nanoparticles by ethanolic extracts of Phytolacca decandra, Gelsemium sempervirens, Hydrastis canadensis and Thuja occidentalis induce differential cytotoxicity through G2/M arrest in A375 cells. Colloids Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 2013;101:325â€“36.
7. 7 Jaidev LR, Narasimha G. Fungal mediated biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles, characterization and antimicrobial activity. Colloids Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 2010;82:430â€“3.
8. Thi TTT, HaVu TT, ThiHanh NG. Biosynthesis of silver rnanoparticles using Tithonia diversifolia leaf extract and their antimicrobial activity Materials Letters 2013;105:220â€“3.
9. VAL Mntina A, Litvin Boris F. Minaev Spectroscopy study of silver nanoparticles fabrication using synthetic humic substances and their antimicrobial activity. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular Biomolecular Spectroscopy 2013;108:115â€“22.
10. Zhu J, Liu S, Palchik O, Koltypin y, Gedanken A. Shape controlled synthesis of silver nanoparticles by pulse sonoelectrochemical methods. Langmuir 2000;16:6396-9.
11. Benjamin W, Thurston H, yugang S, younan X. Polyol synthesis of silver nanoparticles: use of chloride and oxygen to promote the formation of single-crystal, truncated cubes and tetrahedrons. Nanolett 2004;4(9):1733-9.
12. Plante IJL, Zeid TW, Yangab P, Mokari T. Synthesis of metal sulfide nanomaterials via thermal decomposition of single-source precursors. J Mater Chem 2010;20:6612-7.
13. Krishnaraj C, Ramachandran R, Mohan K, Kalaichelvan PT. Optimization for rapid synthesis of silver nanoparticles and its effect on phytopathogenic fungi. Spectrochimica Acta Part A 2012;93:95â€“9.
14. Ravindra S, Murali Y, Mohan N, Narayana RK, Mohana R. Fabrication of antibacterial cotton fibres loaded with silver nanoparticles via Green Approachâ€. Colloids Surfaces A: Physicochem Eng Aspects 2010;367:31â€“40.
15. Valli JS, Vaseeharan B. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles by Cissus quadrangularis extracts. Materials Lett 2012;82:171â€“3.
16. Gaddam SA, Kotakadi VS, Sai Gopal DVR, Subba Rao Y, Reddy AV. Efficent and robust biofabrication of silver nanoparticles by Cassia alata leaf extract and their antimicrobial activity. J Nanostruct Chem 2014;4(82):1-9.
17. Kotakadi VS, Subba Rao Y, Gaddam SA, Prasad TNVKV, A Reddy AV, Sai Gopal DVR. Simple and rapid biosynthesis of stable silver nanoparticles using dried leaves of Catharanthus roseus Linn. G. Donn and its antimicrobial activity. Colloids Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 2013;105:194â€“8.
18. Kotakadi VS, Subba Rao Y, Gaddam SA, Prasad TNVKV, A Reddy AV, Sai Gopal DVR. Biofabrication of silver nanoparticles using Andrographis paniculata. Eur J Medici Chem 2014;73:135â€“40.
19. Bauer AW, Kirby MM, Sherris JC, Truck M. Antibiotic susceptibility testing by a standardized single disk method. Am J Clin Pathol 1966;45:493-6.