DOES LOW DOSE OF PIPER NIGRUM EXTRACT EXERT ANTI-OBESITY ACTIVITY?
Objective: To evaluate anti-obesity effect of aqueous P. nigrum extract in a murine model of high-fat diet (HFD) induced obesity.
Methods: Male Wistar rats were fed with a high-fat diet (HFD) (20g/day/rat) for a period of 50 d to induce obesity. Aqueous P. nigrum extract (20 mg/kg) administered orally to high-fat diet (HFD) fed rats from 8th day to 50th day (total 42 d). The parameters like gain in body weight, serum lipids, insulin and leptin were measured.
Results: The rats treated with extract showed a significant reduction in body weight gain, serum insulin, leptin, lipids as compared to rats fed with only a high-fat diet (HFD). In addition, the extract-treated group showed a considerable rise in high-density lipoprotein (HDL-C) level (29.61±7.68 mg/dl) as compared to the control group (23.23±9.69 mg/dl).
Conclusion: The results indicate that aqueous P. nigrum extract possess the potential to reduce obesity markers in a high-fat diet (HFD) fed rats.
2. Aune D, Sen A, Prasad M, Norat T, Janszky I, Tonstad S, et al. BMI and all-cause mortality: a systematic review and non-linear dose-response meta-analysis of 230 cohort studies with 3.74 million deaths among 30.3 million participants. Br Med J 2016;4:353.
3. Patel SE, Vyas NI. Validated spectrofluorimetric method for estimation of piperine in an ayurvedic formulation. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5:231-3.
4. Kshirsagar AD, Mohite R, Aggrawal AS, Suralkar UR. Hepatoprotective medicinal plants of Ayurveda-a review. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2011;4:1-8.
5. Hasani Ranjbar S, Jouyandeh Z, Abdollahi M. A systematic review of anti-obesity medicinal plants-an update. Diabetes Metab Syndr 2013;12:28.
6. Yun JW. Possible anti-obesity therapeutics from nature–a review. Phytochemistry 2010;71:1625-41.
7. Kolhe SR, Borole P, Patel U. Extraction and evaluation of piperine from Piper nigrum Linn. Int J Appl Biol Pharm 2011;2:144-9.
8. Ahmad N, Fazal H, Abbasi BH, Rashid M, Mahmood T, Fatima N. Efficient regeneration and antioxidant potential in regenerated tissues of Piper nigrum L. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Cult 2010;102:129-34.
9. Kale MA, Bindu SM, Khadkikar P. Role of antioxidants and nutrition in oxidative stress: a review. Int J Appl Pharm Sci 2015;7:1-4.
10. Meriga B, Parim B, Chunduri VR, Naik RR, Nemani H, Suresh P, et al. Antiobesity potential of piperonal: promising modulation of body composition, lipid profiles and obesogenic marker expression in HFD-induced obese rats. Nutr Metab 2017;14:72.
11. Trease GE, Evans WC. Pharmacognosy: 7th Edition. Philadelphia: Bailliere Tindal Publisher and distributer; 1989.
12. Friedewald WT, Levy RI, Fredrickson DS. Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without the use of the preparative ultracentrifuge. J Am Association Clin Chem 1972;18:499-502.
13. Shah SS, Shah GB, Singh SD, Gohil PV, Chauhan K, Shah KA, et al. Effect of piperine in the regulation of obesity-induced dyslipidemia in high-fat diet rats. Indian J Pharmacol 2011;43:296.
14. Shah SS, Shah GB, Singh SD, Gohil PV, Chauhan K, Shah KA, et al. Effect of piperine in the regulation of obesity-induced dyslipidemia in high-fat diet rats. Indian J Pharmacol 2011;43:296.
15. Hariri N, Thibault L. High-fat diet-induced obesity in animal models. Nutr Res Rev 2010;23:270-99.
16. Parim B, Harishankar N, Balaji M, Pothana S, Sajjalaguddam RR. Effects of Piper nigrum extracts: restorative perspectives of high-fat diet-induced changes on lipid profile, body composition, and hormones in sprague–dawley rats. Pharm Biol 2015;53:1318-28.
17. Bhandari U, Kumar V, Khanna N, Panda BP. The effect of high-fat diet-induced obesity on cardiovascular toxicity in Wistar albino rats. Hum Exp Toxicol 2011;30:1313-21.
18. Harbilas D, Brault A, Vallerand D, Martineau LC, Saleem A, Arnason JT, et al. Populus balsamifera L. (Salicaceae) mitigates the development of obesity and improves insulin sensitivity in a diet-induced obese mouse model. J Ethnopharmacol 2012;141:1012-20.
19. Christodoulides C, Vidal Puig A. PPARs and adipocyte function. Mol Cell Endocrinol 2010;318:61-8.
20. Li X, Choi Y, Yanakawa Y, Park T. Piperonal prevents high-fat diet-induced hepatic steatosis and insulin resistance in mice via activation of adiponectin/AMPK pathway. IJO 2014;38:140-7.
21. Shukla R, Kashaw V. Development, characterization and evaluation of herbal ointment containing momordica charantia, pongamia glabra and piper nigrum. J Drug Delivery Ther 2019;9:136-40.
22. Kuraji R, Fujita M, Ito H, Hashimoto S, Numabe Y. Effects of experimental periodontitis on the metabolic system in rats with diet-induced obesity (DIO): an analysis of serum biochemical parameters. Odontology 2018;106:162-70.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.