THE EFFECT OF LEAD TOXICITY ON GROWTH AND ANTIOXIDANT ENZYME EXPRESSION OF ABUTILON INDICUM L
Objective: The focus of the present study was to analyse the oxidative effects of lead nitrate on biosynthesis of antioxidant enzyme activities (superoxide dismutase (SOD) and glutathione peroxidase (GPX)) in Abutilon indicum.
Methods: Seedlings of A. indicum were grown with supplementation of different concentrations (0, 25, 50, 75 and 100 Î¼M) of lead nitrate for 15 and 30 days. The various growth parameters like shoot length, size and total number of leaves per plant were recorded. Extraction, assay and expression of super oxide dismutase (SOD) and glutathione peroxidase (GPX) were carried out with control (without metal salt) and lead nitrate treated plants.
Results: The growth parameters exhibited a declining trend in the metal treated plants in a dose dependant manner. Sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE) of leaf and root protein extracts exhibited the appearance of some new proteins due to metal stress. At lower concentrations of the metal, antioxidant enzyme activity was enhanced with a gradual declination of higher concentration (75 and 100 Î¼M). The enzyme activity reflects the deleterious impact of lead on the plants. Isoforms of SOD and GPX were separated using non-denaturing polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis and new isoforms were noticed in the stressed plants rather than the control during the investigation.
Conclusion: Isoforms of the antioxidant enzymes synthesized due to Pb stress may be used as biomarkers for analysing the impact of heavy metals on other medicinal plants under metal stress condition.
2. Weckx JEJ, Clijsters H. Zn phytotoxicity induces oxidative stress in primary leaves of Phaseolus vulgaris. Plant Physiol Biochem 1997;35:405â€“10.
3. Ghani A. Effect of lead toxicity on growth, chlorophyll and lead (Pb+) contents of two varieties of maize (Zea mays L.). Pakistan J Nutr 2010;9(9):887-91.
4. Paivoke H. The short term effect of zinc on growth anatomy and acid phosphate activity of pea seedlings. Ann Bot 1983;20:307â€“9.
5. Morzck EJ, Funicclli NA. Effect of lead and on germination of Spartina alterniflora Losiel seeds at various salinities. Environ Exp Bot 1982;22:23â€“32.
6. Kaji T, Suzuki M, Yamamoto C, Mishima A, Sakamoto M, Kozuka H. Severe damage of cultured vascular endothelial cell monolayer after simultaneous exposure to cadmium and lead. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 1995;28:168â€“72.
7. Gruenhage L, Jager IIJ. Effect of heavy metals on growth and heavy metals content of Allium Porrum and Pisum sativum. Angew Bot 1985;59:11â€“28.
8. Nagajyoti PC, Lee KD, Sreekanth TVM. Heavy metals, occurrence and toxicity for plants. A Rev 2010;8:199â€“216.
9. Chopra RN, Nayar SL, Chopra IC. Glossary of Indian Medicinal Plants, CSIR, New Delhi; 1992. p. 13.
10. Saxena HO, Brahman M. The flora of Orissa, Regional Research Laboratory Bhubaneswar Orissa India; 1994. p. 1, 135.
11. Porchezhian E, Ansari SH. Effect of liquid extract from fresh Abutilon indicum leaves and Allium cepa bulbs on paracetamol and carbon tetrachloride induced hepatotoxicity. Pharm 2000;55:702-5.
12. Deshpande V, Jadhav VM, Kadam VJ. In-vitro and In-vivo antioxidant activity of ethanolic extract of Malinkara zapota bark. J Pharm Res 2009;2(4):644-5.
13. Khadabadi SS, Bhajipale NS. A review on some important medicinal plants of abutilon spp. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2010;1(4):718-29.
14. Kanungo S, Rout JR, Sahoo SL. Evaluation of antioxidant enzyme activities in Withania somnifera L. in vitro and in vivo grown explants. Iran J Biotechnol 2013;11(4):260-4.
15. Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ. Protein measurement with the folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 1951;193:265â€“75.
16. Laemmli UK. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 1970;227:680â€“5.
17. We W, Welsh MJ. Rapid coomassie blue staining and de-staining of polyacrylamide gels. Biotechniques 1996;20:386-8.
18. Das K, Samanta L, Chainy GBN. A modified spectrophotometric assay of superoxide dismutase using nitrite formation by superoxide radicals. Ind J Biochem Biophys 2000;37:201-4.
19. Beauchamp C, Fridovich I. Superoxide dismutase: improved assays and an assay applicable to acrylamide gels. Anal Biochem 1971;44:276â€“87.
20. Bergmeyer HU. Methods of enzymatic analysis, 2nd edn. Academic press, New work; 1974.
21. Hamill DE, Brewbaker JL. Isoenzyme polymorphism in flowering plants. IV. The peroxidise isoenzymes of maize (Zea mays L.). Physiol Plant 1969;22:945-58.
22. Zheljazkov V, Nielsen NE. Effect of heavy metals of peppermint and cornmint. Plant Soil 1996;178:59-66.
23. Tewari RK, Kumar P, Sharma PN. Antioxidant responses to enhanced generation of superoxide anion radical and hydrogen peroxide in the copper-stressed mulberry plants. Planta 2006;223:1145â€“53.
24. Gao S, Yan R, Wu Jun, Zhang F, Wang S, Chen F. Growth and antioxidant responses in Jatropha curcas cotyledons under Lead stress. Z. Naturforsch 2009;64c:859â€“63.
25. Rout JR, Sahoo SL. Antioxidant enzyme gene expression inresponse to copper stress in Withania somnifera L Plant Growth Reg 2013;71:95-9.
26. Verma S, Dubey RS. Lead toxicity induces lipid peroxidation and alters the activities of antioxidant enzymes in growing rice plants. Plant Sci 2003;164:645 â€“ 55.
27. Reddy AM, Kumar SG, Jyothsnakumari G, Thimmanaik S, Sudhakar C. Lead induced changes in antioxidant metabolism of horsegram (Macrotyloma uniflorum (Lam.) Verdc.) and bengalgram (Cicer arietinum L.). Chemosphere 2005;60(1):97-104.
28. Thomas RA, Sharma NC, Sahi SV. Antioxidant defense in a lead accumulating plant, Sesbania drummondii. Plant Physiol Biochem 2004;42:899 â€“06.
29. Liu D, Li TQ, Jin XF, Yang XE, Islam E, Mahmood Q. Lead induced changes in the growth and antioxidant metabolism of the lead accumulating and non-accumulating ecotypes of Sedum alfredii. J Integr Plant Biol 2008;50(2):129-40.
30. Qureshi MI, Abdin MZ, Qadir S, Iqbal M. Lead-induced oxidative stress and metabolic alterations in Cassia angustifolia. Vahl Biol Plant 2007;51:121â€“8.
31. Khatun S, Ali MB, Hahn E, Paek K. Copper toxicity in Withania somnifera: growth and antioxidant enzymes responses of in vitro plants. Environ Exp Bot 2008;64:279â€“85.
32. Behera B, Das AB, Mittra B. Changes in proteins and antioxidative enzymes in tree mangroves Bruguiera parviflora and Bruguiera gymnorrhiza under high NaCl stress. Bio Di Con 2009;2:71â€“7.