EFFICACY OF LOW-DOSE THROMBOLYSIS WITH INTRAVENOUS ALTEPLASE WITHIN 6 H OF ACUTE ISCHEMIC STROKE ONSET: EVIDENCE FROM SINGLE REFERRAL CENTER IN INDONESIA
Objective: This study evaluated the efficacy of thrombolysis with 0.6 mg/kg intravenous alteplase for acute ischemic stroke patients within 6 h of stroke onset.
Methods: This cross-sectional study collected data of patients with ischemic stroke received intravenous thrombolytic therapy with 0.6 mg/kg alteplase within 6 h of onset in Cipto Mangunkusumo General Hospital (Rumah Sakit Cipto Mangunkusumo [RSCM]) between November 2014 and August 2017. Efficacy of the thrombolytic therapy was evaluated using the National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale (NIHSS) and modified Rankin Scale (mRS). NIHSS evaluated on 24 h and 7 d post thrombolytic therapy portrayed clinical outcomes of patients while mRS evaluated on day 30 post-thrombolysis portrayed the functional outcome of patients.
Results: The median NIHSS score decreased on 24 h and 7 d post-thrombolysis. 33.3% patients experienced a reduction of NIHSS score ≥4 on 24 h post thrombolytic therapy. On day 7 following thrombolysis, 57.4% patients had a good clinical outcome. On day 30 follow-up, 55.6% patients had a good functional outcome.
Conclusion: Thrombolysis using 0.6 mg/kg intravenous alteplase within 6 h of onset is effective for acute ischemic stroke patients.
2. Mehndiratta MM, Khan M, Mehndiratta P, Wasay M. Stroke in Asia: geographical variations and temporal trends. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2014 Dec;85(12):1308–12.
3. Rothwell PM, Coull AJ, Giles MF, Howard SC, Silver LE, Bull LM, et al. Change in stroke incidence, mortality, case-fatality, severity, and risk factors in Oxfordshire, UK from 1981 to 2004 (Oxford Vascular Study). Lancet Lond Engl. 2004 Jun 12;363(9425):1925–33.
4. Mendis S, Weltgesundheitsorganisation, World Heart Federation, editors. Global atlas on cardiovascular disease Prevention and control. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2011. 2–11 p.
5. Mozaffarian D, Go AS, Arnett DK, Blaha MJ, Cushman M, Das SR, et al. Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics-2016 Update: A report from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2016 Jan 26;133(4):e38-360.
6. Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Kesehatan. Riset kesehatan dasar: riskesdas, 2013. Jakarta: Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Kesehatan; 2013.
7. Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Kesehatan. Hasil Riskesdas 2018. Jakarta: Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Kesehatan; 2018.
8. Caplan LR. Caplan’s stroke: a clinical approach. Philadelphia: Elsevier/Saunders; 2009. 24 p.
9. Yamaguchi T, Mori E, Minematsu K, Nakagawara J, Hashi K, Saito I, et al. Alteplase at 0.6 mg/kg for acute ischemic stroke within 3 hours of onset: Japan Alteplase Clinical Trial (J-ACT). Stroke. 2006 Jul;37(7):1810–5.
10. Anderson CS, Robinson T, Lindley RI, Arima H, Lavados PM, Lee T-H, et al. Low-dose versus standard-dose intravenous alteplase in acute ischemic stroke. N Engl J Med. 2016 Jun 16;374(24):2313–23.
11. Lansberg MG, O’Donnell MJ, Khatri P, Lang ES, Nguyen-Huynh MN, Schwartz NE, et al. Antithrombotic and thrombolytic therapy for ischemic stroke: Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Chest. 2012 Feb;141(2 Suppl):e601S-e636S.
12. Salter K, Jutai J, Zettler L, Moses M, McClure A, Mays R, et al. Outcome measures in stroke rehabilitation. Evidence-Based Review of Stroke Rehabilitation. London; 2005. 1–56 p.
13. IST-3 collaborative group, Sandercock P, Wardlaw JM, Lindley RI, Dennis M, Cohen G, et al. The benefits and harms of intravenous thrombolysis with recombinant tissue plasminogen activator within 6 h of acute ischaemic stroke (the third international stroke trial [IST-3]): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet Lond Engl. 2012 Jun 23;379(9834):2352–63.
14. Wahlgren N, Ahmed N, Dávalos A, Hacke W, Millán M, Muir K, et al. Thrombolysis with alteplase 3-4.5 h after acute ischaemic stroke (SITS-ISTR): an observational study. Lancet Lond Engl. 2008 Oct 11;372(9646):1303–9.
15. Zinkstok S, Vermeulen M, Stam J, de Haan R, Roos Y. A randomised controlled trial of antiplatelet therapy in combination with Rt-PA thrombolysis in ischemic stroke: rationale and design of the ARTIS-Trial. Trials. 2010 May 12;11:51.
16. SITS - Thrombolysis | SITS International [Internet]. [cited 2019 Mar 13]. Available from: http://www.sitsinternational.org/registries/sits-thrombolysis/
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.