THE REASONS ACUTE STROKE PATIENTS NOT RECEIVING THROMBOLYSIS IN AN INDONESIAN REFERRAL HOSPITAL
Objective: The aim of this study was to identify reasons acute stroke patients did not receive thrombolysis despite meeting Code Stroke activation criteria in Cipto Mangunkusumo General Hospital during November 2015 until February 2019.
Methods: This study retrospectively collected data of adult (aged>18 y old) acute stroke patients admitted to Cipto Mangunkusumo General Hospital from November 2015 to February 2019 who met criteria for Code Stroke activation but did not undergo thrombolysis. Patient’ data were collected from Code Stroke Registry of Cipto Mangunkusumo General Hospital.
Results: There were 518 acute stroke patients who had Code Stroke activated in Cipto Mangunkusumo General Hospital from November 2015 to February 2019. 76.3% of acute stroke patients did not receive thrombolytic therapy (n=395). Hemorrhage on computed tomography (CT) scan was the most common reason patients did not receive thrombolysis. The following most common reasons were low or improved National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale (NIHSS) score, family refusal, and exceedance of time window.
Conclusion: Hemorrhage on CT scan was the most common reason patients did not receive thrombolysis following by low or improved NIHSS score, family refusal, and exceedance of time window.
2. Yudiarto F, Machfoed MH, Amir D, Ong A, Kurniawan M, Siswanto S, et al. Hypertension is the most risk factor stroke in Indonesia Stroke Registry. Neurology 2017;88 Suppl 16:P3,263.
3. Kurniawan M, Zairinal RA, Mesiano T, Hidayat R, Harris S, Ranakusuma TA. Terapi trombolisis intravena pada pasien stroke iskemik dengan awitan kurang dari 6 jam. Neurona 2014;32. Available from: http://www.neurona.web.id/paper-detail.do?id=913. [Last accessed on 20 May 2019]
4. Messe SR, Khatri P, Reeves MJ, Smith EE, Saver JL, Bhatt DL, et al. Why are acute ischemic stroke patients not receiving IV tPA? Results from a national registry. Neurology 2016;87:1565–74.
5. Wang Y, Liao X, Zhao X, Wang DZ, Wang C, Nguyen Huynh MN, et al. Using recombinant tissue plasminogen activator to treat acute ischemic stroke in China: analysis of the results from the Chinese National Stroke Registry (CNSR). Stroke 2011;42:1658–64.
6. Hu Z, Chen C, Zeng L, Changsha. The most common reasons for acute ischemic stroke patients not receiving IV tPA in China. 2019. Available from: https://n.neurology.org/content/most-common-reasons-acute-ischemic-stroke-patients-not-receiving-iv-tpa-china. [Last accessed on 21 May 2019]
7. Adeoye O, Hornung R, Khatri P, Kleindorfer D. Recombinant tissue-type plasminogen activator use for ischemic stroke in the United States: a doubling of treatment rates over the course of 5 y. Stroke 2011;42:1952–5.
8. Schwamm LH, Ali SF, Reeves MJ, Smith EE, Saver JL, Messe S, et al. Temporal trends in patient characteristics and treatment with intravenous thrombolysis among acute ischemic stroke patients at get with the guidelines-stroke hospitals. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 2013;6:543–9.
9. Fugate JE, Rabinstein AA. Absolute and relative contraindications to IV rt-PA for acute ischemic stroke. Neurohospitalist 2015;5:110–21.
10. Pidaparthi L, Kotha A, Aleti VR, Kohat AK, Kandadai MR, Turaga S, et al. Factors influencing nonadministration of thrombolytic therapy in early arrival strokes in a university hospital in Hyderabad, India. Ann Indian Acad Neurol 2016;19:351–5.
11. Venketasubramanian N, Yoon BW, Pandian J, Navarro JC. Stroke epidemiology in South, East, and South-East Asia: a review. J Stroke 2017;19:286–94.
12. Feigin VL, Lawes CM, Bennett DA, Barker-Collo SL, Parag V. Worldwide stroke incidence and early case fatality reported in 56 population-based studies: a systematic review. Lancet Neurol 2009;8:355–69.
13. Sacco S, Marini C, Toni D, Olivieri L, Carolei A. Incidence and 10-year survival of intracerebral hemorrhage in a population-based registry. Stroke 2009;40:394–9.
14. An SJ, Kim TJ, Yoon BW. Epidemiology, risk factors, and clinical features of intracerebral hemorrhage: an update. J Stroke 2017;19:3–10.
15. Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Kesehatan. Hasil Riskesdas. Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Kesehatan; 2018.
16. Nalleballe K, Sharma R, Kovvuru S, Brown A, Sheng S, Gundapaneni S, et al. Why are acute ischemic stroke patients not receiving thrombolysis in a telestroke network? J Telemed Telecare 2019;1357633X18824518.
17. Khatri P, Tayama D, Cohen G, Lindley RI, Wardlaw JM, Yeatts SD, et al. Effect of intravenous recombinant tissue-type plasminogen activator in patients with mild stroke in the third international stroke trial-3: post hoc analysis. Stroke 2015;46:2325–7.
18. Fang MC, Cutler DM, Rosen AB. Trends in thrombolytic use for ischemic stroke in the United States. J Hosp Med 2010;5:406–9.
19. Barber PA, Zhang J, Demchuk AM, Hill MD, Buchan AM. Why are stroke patients excluded from TPA therapy?: an analysis of patient eligibility. Neurology 2001;56:1015–20.
20. Garcia Monco JC, Pinedo A, Escalza I, Ferreira E, Foncea N, Gomez Beldarrain M, et al. Analysis of the reasons for exclusion from tPA therapy after early arrival in acute stroke patients. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 2007;109:50–3.
21. Bunch ME, Nunziato EC, Labovitz DL. Barriers to the use of intravenous tissue plasminogen activator for in-hospital strokes. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 2012;21:808–11.
22. Rasyid A, Harris S, Nurhayati E, Prihartono J. Pentoxifylline in acute ischemic stroke patients with blood hyperviscosity. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:307–10.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.