GC-MS ANALYSIS OF RHIZOME ESSENTIAL OIL OF BOSENBERGIA LONGIFLORA (WALL) KUNTZE RICH IN LONGIPNOCARVONE, A SESQUITERPENOID
Objective: Bosenbergia longiflora (wall.) Kuntze is a rhizomatous plant of family Zingiberaceae which has been traditionally used for curing many diseases like inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative colitis, aphthous ulcer,antiinflamatory, healing of wound etc. The present work is aimed at phytochemical profiling, especially terpenoids, of rhizome essential oil of Bosenbergia longiflora (wall.) Kuntze using gas chromatography and mass spectrometry (GC-MS) analysis.
Methods: The essential oil from mature fresh rhizome was extracted by hydro distillation method by using Clevenger's apparatus. GC-MS analysis of essential oil was carried out to identify major volatile constituents.
Results: The present work revealed that the oil was highly rich in longipinocarvone, a sesquiterpenoid, as major compound (81.69%). The oil also contained trans-caryophyllene (1.54%), Î²-Cis caryophyllene (3.41%), patchoulene (2.97%), borneol (2.32%), limolene (1.5%) etc. GC- MS detected 13 compounds out of which 12 compounds could be identified.
Conclusion: GC-MS analysis of Bosenbergia longiflora revealed an abundance of longipinocarvone which may responsible for many activities it possesses. The percentage of longipinocarvone being higher in this plant, it could be explored for various pharmaceutical uses.
2. Sudsai T, Wattanapiromsakul C, Nakpheng T, Tewtrakul S. Evaluation of the wound healing property of Boesenbergia longiflora rhizomes. J Ethno-Pharmacol 2013;150:223â€“31.
3. Jaipetch T, Reutrakul V, Tuntiwachwuttikul P, Santisuk T. Flavonoids in the black rhizomes of Boesenbergia pandurata. Phytochem 1983;22:625-6.
4. Tuchinda P, Reutrakul V, Claeson P, Pongprayoon U, Sematong T, Santisuk T. Anti-inflammatory cyclohexenyl chalcone derivatives in Boesenbergia pandurata. Phytochem 2002;59:169â€“73.
5. Jantan IB, Ahmad FB. The essential oils of Boesenbergia stenophylla as natural sources of methyl (E)-cinnamate. Flavour Fragrance J 2003;18:485â€“6.
6. Panda PC, Kar B, Jena AK. New record of occurance of Bosenbergia longiflora (Wall.) Kuntze (Zingiberaceae) in Eastern Ghats. J Econ Taxon Bot 2012;36:374-6.
7. Jantan I, Basni I, Ahmad AS. Constituents of the rhizome oils of Boesenbergia pandurata (Roxb.) schlecht from Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand. Flavour Fragrance J 2001;16:110-2.
8. De Carvalho CCCR, Da Fonseca MMR. Carvone: Why and how should one bother to produce this terpene. Food Chem 2006;95:413â€“22.
9. Khong HY, Lailyly BD, Zuriatati Z, Ismail NH, Ismail N, Yarmo MA. A Qualitative Analysis of Litsea fulva essential oils using comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography coupled with time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Sains Malaysiana 2013;42:943â€“8.
10. Hongyan Liu. Physicochemical evaluation and essential oil composition analysis of Bidens parviflora Willd. from China Sian. J Tradit Med 2013;8:20-5.