DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF A SIMPLE HPLC METHOD FOR ESTIMATION OF MYCOPHENOLATE MOFETIL IN MICROEMULSION FORMULATION
Objective: The present study deals with the development, validation and application of a simple, precise and accurate HPLC method for the determination of mycophenolate mofetil in pharmaceutical formulations and microemulsions.
Methods: In this method, a simple isocratic mobile phase composition of methanol and water (75:25 v/v) pumped at 1 ml/minute flow rate through Phenomenex C18 column (dimension: 250 4.6 mm and 5 µm particle size) was used. Injection volume was 20 µl and analysis of mycophenolate mofetil was carried out at 250 nm.
Results: The coefficient of regression was found to be 0.9996, indicating the linearity of the developed method within a range of 0.1 to 10 µg/ml. The limit of detection (LOD) and the limit of quantization (LOQ) were found to be 3.660ng/ml and 11.091ng/ml, respectively. The results showed that % deviation for change in compositions of the mobile phase, flow rate and temperature was within a range of-5.51 to 10.99%,-3.70 to 8.80% and-5.29 to 10.90%, respectively. The method seemed sensitive to change of temperature (±5 ○C) and methanol composition (±2%) as the results were at the boundary limit of 10% deviation.
Conclusion: A simple, precise and accurate HPLC method for the determination of drug content from microemulsion has been developed and validated in accordance with ICH guidelines.
2. Sarwal MM, Yorgin PD, Alexander S, Millan MT, Belson A, Belanger N, et al. Promising early outcomes with a novel, complete steroid avoidance immunosuppression protocol in pediatric renal transplantation1. Transplantation 2001;72:13-21.
3. Johnson DW, Nicol DL, Purdie DM, Preston JM, Brown AM, Carmel M, et al. Is mycophenolate mofetil less safe than azathioprine in elderly renal transplant recipients? Transplantation 2002;73:1158-63.
4. Allison AC, Eugui EM. Immunosuppressive and other effects of mycophenolic acid and an ester prodrug, mycophenolate mofetil. Immunol Rev 1993;136:5-28.
5. Mele TS, Halloran PF. The use of mycophenolate mofetil in transplant recipients. Immunopharmacology 2000;47:215-45.
6. Nousari HC, Sragovich A, Kimyai Asadi A, Orlinsky D, Anhalt GJ. Mycophenolate mofetil in autoimmune and inflammatory skin disorders. J Am Acad Dermatol 1999;40:265-8.
7. Chaudhry V, Cornblath DR, Griffin JW, O’Brien R, Drachman DB. Mycophenolate mofetil: a safe and promising immunosuppressant in neuromuscular diseases. Neurology 2001;56:94 LP-96.
8. Guideline ICHHT. Validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology Q2 (R1). In: International Conference on Harmonization, Geneva, Switzerland; 2005. p. 11-2.
9. Reddy T, Ramu G, Kumar MS, Rambabu C. Validated RP-HPLC method for the determination of mycophenolate mofetil in tablet dosage forms. Asian J Chem 2013;25:4788.
10. Rao AL, Srinivas PV, Rao J. A new validated RP-HPLC method for the estimation of mycophenolate mofetil in pure and tablet dosage form. Asian J Pharm Res Heal Care 2010;2:266-9.
11. Tsina I, Kaloostian M, Lee R, Tarnowski T, Wong B. High-performance liquid chromatographic method for the determination of mycophenolate mofetil in human plasma. J Chromatogr B: Biomed Sci Appl 1996;681:347-53.
12. Sharma S, Goyal S, Chauhan K. A review on analytical method development and validation. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:8-15.
13. Nagavi BJ, Gurupadayya BA. Simultaneous estimation of clopidogrel and atorvastatin in human plasma using bio-analytical RP-ultra fast liquid chromatographic method. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2015;7:30-5.
14. Kunithala VK, Chinthakindi KK, Vemula SK, Garepally PR, Bontha VK. A new rapid and simple analytical method development and validation of estimation of the mycophenolate in dosage form by UPLC technique. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5:233-7.
15. Sharma T, Mishra N, Moitra SS, Sankar DG. A validated RP-HPLC method for estimation of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate in bulk and pharmaceutical formulation. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5:108-10.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.