CASSIA FISTULA: BOTANY, PHYTOCHEMISTRY AND PHARMACOLOGICAL LEVERAGES-A REVIEW
Cassia fistula Linn. is also called a “golden shower”. It is aboriginal to India, Sri Lanka and diffused in various countries, including Mexico, China, Mauritius, East Africa, South Africa, and West Indies. Plant and its parts, such as bark, fruit, leaves, and seeds, are used traditionally to cure diseases. Traditionally the plant possesses hepatoprotective, antipyretic, anti-inflammatory, leukotriene inhibition, antitussive activity, antioxidant, wound healing, hypo-lipidemia, anticancer, antidiabetic, central nervous system activity, antiulcer, antibacterial, antifertility, larvicidal and ovicidal, antifeedant, laxative, anti-epileptic, antimicrobial, urease inhibition, antifungal, anti-tobacco mosaic virus activities. The review contains botanical information, constituents and pharmacological leverages of the plant. The review draws attention towards the traditional, phytochemical and pharmacological knowledge accessible on Cassia fistula Linn, which would be beneficial for research scholars to develop novel chemical entities. This review article is written after studying most of the journal’s articles, which were published between 1998 to 2019.
2. Tashjian A, Maria V, Jahangir A. Use of herbal products and potential interactions in patients with cardiovascular diseases. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010;55:515-25.
3. Ajay Kumar K, Satish S, Ibrahim Sayeed, Karunakara Hedge. Therapeutic uses of cassia fistula: a review. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2017;3:38-43.
4. Moshahid M, Rizvi A, Gamel IM, Hassadi EI, Younis BS. Review of bioefficacies of Cassia fistula. Afr J Pharm Pharmacol 2009;3:287-92.
5. Siddiqua A, Zahra M, Begum K, Jamil M. The traditional uses, phytochemistry and pharmacological properties of Cassia fistula. J Pharm Pharmacol Res 2018;2:15-23.
6. Rajagopal PL, Premaletha K, Kiron SS, Sreejith KR. Phytochemical and pharmacological review on Cassia fistula Linn.–“the golden shower. Int J Pharm Chem Biol Sci 2013;3:672-9.
7. Danish M, Singh P, Mishra G, Srivastava S, Jha KK, Khosa RL. Cassia fistula linn. (Amulthus)-an important medicinal plant: a review of its traditional uses, phytochemistry and pharmacological properties. J Nat Prod Plant Resour 2011;1:101-18.
8. Neelam C, Ranjan B, Komal S, Nootan C. Review on Cassia fistula. Int J Res Ayurveda Pharm 2011;2:426–30.
9. Arshad H Rahmani. Cassia fistula linn: potential candidate in health management. Pharmacogn Res 2015;7:217-24.
10. Ali MA. Cassia fistula linn: a review of phytochemical and pharmacological studies. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2014;5:2125-30.
11. Doblin Sandai, Bassel Al-Hindi, Khirun Musa, Rosline Sandai. Botanical characteristics, nutritional properties, therapeutic potential and safety profile of cassia fistula linn.: a review update. EC Pharmacol Toxicol 2019;7:94-106.
12. Sen AB, Shukia YN. Chemical examination of Cassia fistula. J Indian Chem Soc 1968;45:744.
13. Singh RS, Singh H, Pandey HS, Pandey RP, Singh S. Two new aliphatic compounds from Cassia fistula L. Indian J Chem 2005;44:2372-4.
14. Mahesh VK, Sharma R, Singh RS. Anthraquinones and kaempferol from Cassia fistula species. J Nat Prod 1984;47:733–51.
15. Chopra RN, Nayar SL, Chpora IC. Glossary of Indian medicinal plants, national institute of science communication and information resources; 2006. p. 54.
16. Ching Kuo Lee, Ping Hung Lee, Yueh Hsiung Kuo. The chemical constituents from the aril Cassia fistula Linn. J Chin Chem Soc 2001;48:1053-8.
17. Kumar A, Pande CS, Kaul RK. Chemical examination of cassia fistula flowers. Indian J Chem 1966;4:460.
18. Abu Sayeed M, Abbas AM, Mohal Khan GR, Rahman MS. Studies on the characterization and glyceride composition of Cassia fistula seed oil. Bangladesh J Sci Ind Res 1999;34:144-8.
19. Kuo YH, Lee PH, Wein YS. Four new compounds from the seeds of Cassia fistula. J Nat Prod 2002;65:1165–7.
20. Lal J, Gupta PC. Partial hydrolysis and the structure of the galactomannan from Cassia fistula seeds. Planta Med 1976;30:378-83.
21. Bhakta T, Mukherjee PK, Banerjee S, Mandal SC, Maity TK, Pal M, et al. J Ethnopharmacol 1999;66:277-82.
22. Dawada S, Zade V, Dabhadkar D, Pare S. Hepatoprotective activity of Cassia fistula root against carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatic injury in rats (wistar). Int J Pharm Sci Res 2012;3:368-78.
23. Pradeep K, Mohan CV, Anand KG, Karthikeyan S. Effect of pretreatment of Cassia fistula linn. leaf extract against subacute CCl4 induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Indian J Exp Biol 2005;43:526-30.
24. Wasu SJ, Muley BP. Hepatoprotective effect of Cassia fistula linn. Ethnobotanical Leaflets 2009;13:910-6.
25. Chaudhari NB, Chittam KP, Patil VR. Hepatoprotective activity of Cassia fistula seeds against paracetamol-induced hepatic injury in rats. Arch Pharm Sci Res 2009;1:218-21.
26. Singh MP, Singh A, Alam G, Patel R, Datt N. Antipyretic activity of Cassia fistula linn. pods. J Pharm Res 2012;5:2593-4.
27. Gobianand K, Vivekababdan P, Pradeep K, Mohan CV, karthikeyan S. Anti-inflammatory and antipyretic activities of Indian medicinal plant Cassia fistula linn. (Golden shower) in wistar albino rats. Int J Pharmacol 2010;6:719-25.
28. KCS Kumar, K Muller. Plant?derived products as antimutagen. Phytother Res 1998;12:526-8.
29. T Bhakta, PK Mukherjee, K Saha, M Pal, BP Saha. Studies on the antitussive activity of Cassia fistula (Leguminosae) leaf extract. Pharm Biol 1998;36:140-3.
30. Siddhuraju P, Mohan PS, Becker K. Studies on the antioxidant activity of Indian laburnum (Cassia fistula L.): a preliminary assessment of crude extracts from stem bark, leaves, flowers, and fruit pulp. J Agric Food Chem 2002;79:61-7.
31. Abid R, Mahmood R, Rajesh KP, Kumara Swamy BE. Potential in vitro antioxidant and protective effect of Cassia fistula Linn. fruit extracts against induced oxidative damage in human erythrocytes. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:497-505.
32. Lai TK, Liew KC. Total phenolics. Total tannins and antioxidant activity of Cassia fistula L. extracts of bark, stem, leaf, and root under different age classes. Asian J Pharm Res Health Care 2013;5:52-7.
33. Ilavarasana R, Mallikab M, Venkataraman S. Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activities of Cassia fistula Linn. bark extracts. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 2005;2:70-85.
34. Noorhajati H, Tanjung M, Aminah NS, Ami Suwandi JS. Antioxidant activities of extracts of trengguli stem bark (Cassia fistula L.). Int J Basic Appl Sci 2012;12:85-9.
35. Kalaiyarasi C, Karthika K, Lalithkumar P, Ragupathi G, Saravanan S. In vitro antioxidant activity of various solvent fractions of Cassia fistula L. pods. J Pharmacogn Phytochem 2014;3:73-6.
36. Manonmani G, Bhavapriya V, Kalpana S, Govindasamy S, Apparanantham T. Antioxidant activity of Cassia fistula (Linn.) flowers in alloxan-induced diabetic rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2005;97:39-42.
37. Bhalodia NR, Nariya PB, Acharya RN, Shukla VJ. In vitro antioxidant activity of hydroalcoholic extract from the fruit pulp of Cassia fistula linn. Ayu 2013;34:209-14.
38. Paulrayer Antonisamy, Paul Agastian, Chang Won Kang, Nam Soo Kim, and Jong-Hoon Kim. Anti-inflammatory activity of rhein isolated from the flowers of Cassia fistula L. and possible underlying mechanisms. Saudi J Biol Sci 2019;26:96-104.
39. Anwikar S, Bhitre M. Study of the synergistic anti-inflammatory activity of solanum xanthocarpum schrad and wendl and Cassia fistula linn. Int J Ayurveda Res 2010;1:167-71.
40. Bhakta T, Mukherjee PK, Saha K, Pal M, Saha BP. Evaluation of anti-inflammatory effects of Cassia fistula (Leguminosae) leaf extracts o rats. J Herbs Spices Med Plants 1999;6:67-72.
41. Rajeswari R, Thejomoorthy P, Mathuram LN, Raju KV. Anti-inflammatory activity of Cassia fistula linn. bark extracts in sub-acute models of inflammation in rats. Tamil Nadu J Vet Anim Sci 2006;2:193-9.
42. Nirmala J Eliza, M Rajalakshmi, P Edel, P Daisy. Effect of hexane extract of Cassia fistula barks on blood glucose and lipid profile in streptozotocin-diabetic rats. Int J Pharmacol 2008;4:292-6.
43. Senthil Kumar M, Sripriya R, Vijaya Raghavan H, Sehgal PK. Wound healing potential of Cassia fistula on an infected albino rat model. J Surg Res 2006;131:283-9.
44. Bhakta T, Mukherjee PK, Mukherjee K, Pal M, Saha BP. Studies on in vivo wound healing activity of Cassia fistula linn. leaves (Leguminosae) in rats. Nat Prod Sci 1998;4:84-7.
45. UC Gupta, GC Jain. Study on the hypolipidemic activity of cassia fistula. Legume Rats Asian J Exp Sci 2009;23:241-8.
46. Gupta M, Mazumder U, Rath N, Mukhopadhyay D. Antitumor activity of methanolic extract of Cassia fistula L. seed against ehrlich ascites carcinoma. J Ethnopharmacol 2000;72:151-6.
47. Remya RR, Rajasree SRR, Aranganathan L, Suman TY. An investigation on the cytotoxic effect of bioactive AgNPs synthesized using Cassia fistula flower extract on breast cancer cell MCF-7. Biotechnol Rep 2015;8:110–5.
48. Duraipandiyan V, Baskar AA, Ignacimuthu S, Muthukumar C, Al-Harbi NA. Anticancer activity of rhein isolated from Cassia fistula L. flower. Asian Pac J Trop Dis 2012;2:517-23.
49. Kanika Verma, Shanthi Veerappapillai, Ramanathan Karuppasamy. Exploration of plant bioactive from cassia fistula leaves for the treatment of ovarian cancer: an integrative approach. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:182-8.
50. Anand S, Saravanababu, Lakshmi BS, Muthusamy VS. Aloe-emodin glycosides ameliorate glucose utilization via downstream insulin regulators: an in vivo investigation. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9 Suppl 2:191-8.
51. Jarald EE, Joshi SB, Jain DC, d Edwin S. Biochemical evaluation of the hypoglycemic effects of extract and fraction of Cassia fistula linn. in alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Indian J Pharm Sci 2013;75:427-34.
52. Daisy P, Saipriya K. Biochemical analysis of Cassia fistula aqueous extract and phytochemically synthesized gold nanoparticles as hypoglycemic treatment for diabetes mellitus. Int J Nanomed 2012;7:1189-202.
53. Agnihotri A, Singh V. Effect of Tamarindus indica Linn. and Cassia fistula Linn. stem bark extracts on oxidative stress and diabetic conditions. Acta Pol Pharm 2013;70:1011-9.
54. Pitchai D, Manikkam R. Hypoglycemic and insulin-mimetic impact of catechin isolated from Cassia fistula: a substantiate in silico approach through docking analysis. Med Chem Res 2012;21:2238–50.
55. Sartorelli P, Andrade SP, Melhem MS, Prado FO, Tempone AG. Isolation of antileishmanial sterol from the fruits of Cassia fistula using bio guided fractionation. Phytother Res 2007;21:644-7.
56. Mazumder UK, Guptha M, Rath N. CNS activities of Cassia fistula in mice. J Phytother Res 1998;12:512-25.
57. Karthikeyan S, Gobianand K. Antiulcer activity of ethanol leaf extract of Cassia fistula. Pharm Biol 2010;48:869-77.
58. Rajesh Yadav, GC Jain. Antifertility effect and hormonal profile of petroleum ether extract of seeds of Cassia fistula in female rats. Int J PharmTech Res 2009;1:438-44.
59. Yadav R, Jain GC. Antifertility effect of aqueous extract of seeds of Cassia fistula in female rats. Adv Contracept 1999;15:293301.
60. M Govindarajan, A Jebanesan, T Pushpanathan. Larvicidal and ovicidal activity of Cassia fistula linn. leaf extract against filarial and malarial vector mosquitoes. Parasitol Res 2008;102:289-92.
61. Ashok Verma, GK Yadav. An international journal published biannually. J Exp Zool India 2003;6:251-6.
62. Duraipandiyan V, Ignacimuthu S, Gabriel Paulraj M. Antifeedant and larvicidal activities of Rhein isolated from the flowers of Cassia fistula L. Saudi J Biol Sci 2011;18:129-33.
63. Mehmood S, Lateef M, Omer MO, Anjum AA, Rashid MI, Shehzad W. Adulticidal and larvicidal activity of Cassia fistula and Piper nigrum against malaria vector. Sci Int (Lahore) 2014;26:331-4.
64. Sakulpanich A, Chewchinda S, Sithisarn P, Gritsanapan W. Standardization and toxicity evaluation of Cassia fistula pod pulp extract for an alternative source of the herbal laxative drug. Phcog J 2012;4:6-12.
65. Librowski T, Czarnecki R, Mendyk A, Jastrzeska M. Influnce of new monoterpene homologus of GABA on the central nervous system activity in mice. Pol J Pharmacol 2008;52:317-21.
66. Hemavathy RRV, Kumar PS, Suganya S, Swetha V, Varjani SJ. Modeling on the removal of toxic metal ions from an aquatic system by different surface modified Cassia fistula seeds. Bioresour Technol 2019;281:1-9.
67. Sikri N, Dhanda S, Dalal S. Kinetics of urease inhibition by different fractions of Cassia fistula. S Afr J Bot 2019;120:274-9.
68. Sony P, Kalyani M, Jeyakumari D, Kannan I, Sukumar RG. In vitro antifungal activity of Cassia fistula extracts against fluconazole-resistant strains of Candida species from HIV patients. J Mycol Med 2018;28:193-200.
69. Phongpaichit S, Pujenjob N, Rukachaisirikul V, Ongsakul M. Antifungal activity from leaf extracts of Cassia alata, Cassia fistula, and Cassia tora. Songklanakarin J Sci Technol 2004;26:741-8.
70. Zhao W, Zeng X, Zhang T, Wang L, Yang G, Chen YK, et al. Flavonoids from the bark and stems of Cassia fistula and their anti-tobacco mosaic virus activities. Phytochem Lett 2013;6:179-82.
71. Rashid MI, Mujawar LH, Mujallid MI, Shahid M, Rehan ZA, Khan MKI, et al. Potent bactericidal activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized from Cassia fistula fruit. Microb Pathog 2017;107:354-60.
72. Arulpandi, R Sangeetha. Antibacterial activity of fistulin: a protease inhibitor purified from the leaves of Cassia fistula. Int Sch Res Notices 2012:1-4. https://doi.org/10.5402/ 2012/584073.
73. Seyyednejad SM, Motamedi H, Vafei M, Bakhtiari A. The antibacterial activity of Cassia fistula organic extracts. Jundishapur J Microbiol 2014;7:e8921.
74. Bhalodia NR, Shukla VJ. Antibacterial and antifungal activities from leaf extracts of Cassia fistula L.: an ethnomedicinal plant. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2011;2:104-9.
75. Bhalodia NR, Nariya PB, Acharya RN, Shukla VJ. In vitro antibacterial and antifungal activities of Cassia fistula Linn. fruit pulp extracts. Ayu 2012;33:123-9.
76. Duraipandiyan V, Ignacimuthu S. Antibacterial and antifungal activity of Cassia fistula L.: an ethnomedicinal plant. J Ethnopharmacol 2007;112:590-4.
77. Yadava RN, Verma V. A new biologically active flavone glycoside from the seeds of Cassia fistula (Linn.). J Asian Nat Prod Res 2003;5:57-61.
78. Lachumy SJ, Zuraini Z, Sasidharan S. Antimicrobial activity and toxicity of methanol extract of Cassia fistula seeds. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2010;1:391-8.
79. Akanmu MA, Iwalewa EO, Elujoba AA, Adelusola KA. Toxicity potentials of Cassia fistula fruits as a laxative with reference to Senna. Afr J Biomed Res 2004;7:23-6.
80. Agnihotri A, Singh V. Effect of Tamarindus indica linn. and Cassia fistula linn. stem bark extracts on oxidative stress and diabetic conditions. Acta Pol Pharm 2013;70:1011-9.
81. Ilavarasana R, Mallikab M, Venkataraman S. Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activities of Cassia fistula linn bark extracts. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 2005;2:70-85.
82. Abid R, Mahmood R. Acute and sub-acute oral toxicity of ethanol extract of Cassia fistula fruit in male rats. Avicenna J Phytomed 2019;9:117-25.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.