CEFPODOXIME PROXETIL FAST DISSOLVING TABLETS: COMPARATIVE STUDY
Objective: In the present investigation, fast dissolving tablets of cefpodoxime proxetil were formulated using superdisintegrants to impart fast disintegration.
Methods: In the current study, 12 formulations of fast dissolving tablets of cefpodoxime proxetil were formulated using two different approaches viz., direct compression and sublimation. Three different superdisintegrants viz., croscarmellose sodium, sodium starch glycolate, and crospovidone were used in a different concentration in all the respective formulations. The final powder blend was subjected for the pre-compression evaluation and all the formulations were evaluated for post-compression parameters. Stability studies were also evaluated for the best formulations as per ICH guidelines. Finally, results were statistically analyzed by the application of one way ANOVA test and t-test.
Results: Among all the formulations of different approaches, formulation cefpodoxime proxetil 4 (CP4) containing 6% crospovidone as a super disintegrant was showed the best results. In vitro dissolution data revealed that formulation CP4 prepared by direct compression method showed 99.387±0.270% drug release within 15 min whereas the percentage release by formulation prepared by using sublimation showed 83.927±0.735% release. The optimized formulation was further subjected to comparative in vitro study with two marketed formulation of different brands.
Conclusion: All the data of all formulations is shows that direct compression approach is the best approach for developing the fast dissolving tablets to enhance the onset of action and bioavailability.
2. Pandey P, Dahita M. Oral disintegrating tablets: a review. Int J Pharm Res Rev 2016;5:50-62.
3. Velmurugan S, Vinushitha S. Oral disintegrating tablets: a review. Int J Chem Pharm Sci 2010;1:1-12.
4. Gupta AK, Mittal A, Jha KK. Fast dissolving tablet-a review. Pharm Innov 2012;1:1-8.
5. Khan AB, Tripuraneni A. Fast dissolving tablet-a novel approach in drug delivery. J Pharm Sci 2014;4:7-16.
6. Kumar CSP, Vijayaratna J, Srinivas V, Reddy JK. Formulation and evaluation of repaglinide fast dissolving tablet. Int J Res Pharm Chem 2016;6:50-6.
7. Sharma D, Kumar D, Singh M, Singh G, Rathore MS. Fast disintegrating tablet a new era in novel drug delivery system and new market opportunities. J Drug Delivery Ther 2012;2:74-86.
8. Borin MT, Forbes KK, Hughes GS. The bioavailability of cefpodoxime proxetil tablets relative to an oral solution. Biopharm Drug Dispos 1995;16:295-302.
9. Chocas EC, Paap CM, Godley PJ. Cefpodoxime proxetil: a new, broad-spectrum, oral cephalosporin. Ann Pharmacother 1993;27:1369-77.
10. Naikwade JT, Patil VV, Katkade MH, Thorat VD, Ansari T, Vaidya CR. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of amlodipine besylate by using co-processed superdisintegrants. Br J Pharm Res 2013;3:865-79.
11. Satpute MM, Tour NS. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of metoprolol tartrate. Braz J Pharm Sci 2013;49:783-92.
12. Kumar SB, Patil CC, Bagi P, S Manmataya, Umashree D. Formulation and evaluation of gastro-retentive mucoadhesive cefpodoxime proxetil tablets. Pharm Innov 2015;4:20-5.
13. Panda S, Singh DL. Study of antioxidant, antimicrobial and anthelmintic properties of 1-nicotinoyl-4-aryl-3-methyl 3a,4-dihydropyrazolo [3,4c] pyrazoles and their inclusion complexes with ?-cyclodextrin. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;3:1639-54.
14. Bi YX, Sunada H, Yonezawa Y, Danjo K. Evaluation of rapidly disintegrating tablets prepared by a direct compression method. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 1999;25:571?81.
15. Dasari N, Maruvajala V. Preparation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of pitavastatin by 32 full factorial design. Int J Appl Pharm 2019;12:108-14.
16. Zade PS, Kawtikwar PS, Sakarkar DM. Formulation, evaluation and optimization of fast dissolving tablet containing tizanidine hydrochloride. Int J Pharm Technol Res 2009;1:34?42.
17. Suresh S, Pandit V, Joshi H. Preparation and evaluation of mouth dissolving tablets of salbutamol sulphate. Indian J Pharm Sci 2007;69:467?9.
18. Dasari N, Maruvajala V. Preparation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of pitavastatin by 32 full factorial design. Int J Appl Pharm 2019;12:108-14.
19. Joshi P, Manju, Fateh MV, Rao NGR. Review on mouth dissolving tablet. Asian J Pharm Res 2019;9:42-54.
20. Deshmukh B, Narkhede K, Chaudhari P. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of fast dissolving tablet containing sildenafil citrate nanocrystals. Int J Pharm Res Rev 2014;3:10-8.
21. Lakshmi AG, Patel R, Kumar DS. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of antiemetic drug metoclopramide. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;3:2080-90.
22. Sathish R, Vidhyalakshmi R, C Kannan, Ramesh S, R Vijay K, Nour A. A review-formulation and evaluation of mouth dissolving tablet. Int J Chem Pharm Sci 2015;6:27-34.
23. Siraj S, Nazim S, Pravin G, Afsar S, Majaz Q. Formulation and evaluation of aceclofenac fast dissolving tablets. Int Res J Pharm 2011;2:100-5.
24. Swamivelmanickam M, Manavalan R, Valliappan K. Mouth dissolving tablets: an overview. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2010;1:43-55.
25. Bhowmik D, Chiranjib B, Krishnakanth P, Chandira RM. Fast dissolving tablet: an overview. J Chem Pharm Res 2009;1:163-77.
26. Sharma Deepak. Formulation development and evaluation of fast disintegrating tablets of salbutamol sulphate for respiratory disorders. ISRN Pharm 2013:1-8. https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/674507
27. Basu B, Bagadiya A, Makwana S, Vipul V, Batt D, Dharamsi A. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of cinnarizine using superdisintegrant blend and subliming material. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2011;2:266-73.
28. Bala R, Sharma. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablet of aprepitant by using natural and synthetic superdisintegrants. Int J Appl Pharm 2019;12:64-71.
29. Shah SJ, Mazumder R. Formulation development and evaluation of mouth dissolving tablet of tramadol hydrochloride. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;6:31-6.
30. Ramu A, Vidyadhara S, Devanna N, Naidu UT, Kalyani PL. Formulation and evaluation of irbesartan fast dissolving tablets. Asian J Pharm 2013;7:61-7.
31. Suryawanshi SD, Thakker SP, Sandesh SN, Ladkat VD, Pandey DG. Formulation and evaluation of dispersible tablets of cefpodoxime proxetil. Asian J Pharm Technol Innov 2013;1:1-12.
32. Gupta S, Chandel P, Bagga K. Formulation and evaluation of cefpodoxime proxetil dispersible tablet. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2014;27:250-5.
33. Yash P, Sarvan T, Bhupinder S. Formulation and evaluation of oral dispersible tablets of zidovudine with different superdisintegrants. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2011:2:81-91.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.