FORMULATION OF SOLID DISPERSIONS FOR ENHANCEMENT OF SOLUBILITY AND DISSOLUTION RATE OF SIMVASTATIN.
Objective: The objective of the present research work was the formulation of solid dispersions of simvastatin for enhancement of its aqueous solubility and dissolution rate.
Methods: Simvastatin is Biopharmaceutical Classification System (BCS) Class II (low soluble, and high permeable) drug employed in the treatment of hypercholesterolemia and dyslipidemia. In the present study, solid dispersions were prepared by Kneading and Solvent evaporation methods. The polymeric carriers like Polyethylene glycol (PEG) 6000 and Polyvinyl Pyrrolidone (PVP) K30 were used in different ratios (ratio of drug: carrier was 1:1, 1:2) to formulate solid dispersions. The prepared solid dispersions were characterized by differential scanning calorimetry (DSC), fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR) and evaluated for drug content, percentage yield, saturation solubility, in vitro dissolution studies. The best formula of the solid dispersion was selected according to the solubility and dissolution data.
Results: The F7 formulation was found to be optimized formulation containing PVP K30 in the ratio 1:1. It showed the highest amount of drug release at the end of 60 min than other prepared formulations. The FT-IR spectra revealed that there was no interaction between drug and carriers. DSC thermogram indicated entrapment of simvastatin in PVP K30 and amorphous nature of F7 formulation.
Conclusion: The solubility of simvastatin was successfully enhanced through solid dispersion technique. Solid dispersions prepared with solvent evaporation method was more soluble than solid dispersions prepared with kneading method with carrier PVP K30.
2) Pawar SR, Barhate SD. Solubility enhancement (Solid Dispersions) novel boon to increase bioavailability. J Drug Delivery Ther 2019;9(2):583-590.
3) Gurunath S, Kumar SP, Basavaraj NK, Patil PA. Amorphous solid dispersion method for improving oral bioavailability of poorly water-soluble drugs. Journal of Pharmacy Research 2013;(6):476-480.
4) Mir KB, Khan NA. Solid dispersion: overview of the technology. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2017;8(6):2378-2387.
5) Komal, Kaur T, Singh AP, Singh AP, Sharma P. Enhancement of solubility and dissolution rate of simvastatin by using solid dispersion technique along with different combination of polymers. J Drug Delivery Ther 2018;8(2):32-40.
6) Pabari RM, Jamil A, Kelly JG, Ramtoola Z. Fast disintegrating crystalline solid dispersions of simvastatin for incorporation into orodispersible tablets. Int J Pharm Invest 2014;4(2):51-59.
7) Pawar CV, Mutha SS, Bhise SV, Borawake PD. Formulation and evaluation of mouth dissolving tablet of meloxicam using natural superdisintegrants. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2020;13(2):197-203.
8) Shinde AJ, Dalavi RS, More HN. Design and development of melt solidification of meloxicam for enhancement of solubility and dissolution. Journal of Research in Pharmacy 2020;24(1):56-70.
9) More AS, Firake BM, Firke SD. Spectrophotometric methods for estimation of simvastatin in bulk drug and its dosage form. Analytical Chemistry An Indian Journal 2016;16(6):258-264.
10) Shaik M. Formulation and evaluation of solid dispersions of carbamazepine using various carriers by physical mixing and kneading method (KM). International Journal of Trends in Pharmacy and Life Sciences 2016;2(4):945-955.
11) Raj AL, Kumar SY. Preparation and Evaluation of Solid Dispersion of Nebivolol Using Solvent Evaporation Method. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res 2018;10(4):322-328.
12) Aleti SR, Rangaraju D, Kant A, Shankraiah MM, Venkatesh JS, Rao RN, Nagesh C. Solubility and dissolution enhancement of cefixime using natural polymer by solid dispersion technique. Int J Res Pharm Chem 2011;1(2):283-288.
13) Bolla N, Chandra S, Raju CHR, Rao GSNK, Devi PU. Improvement of simvastatin solubility using natural polymers by solid dispersion technique. Int J Pharm Res Biomed Anal 2013;2(2):01-06.
14) Sapkal SB, Adhao VS, Thenge RR, Darakhe RA, Shinde SA, Shrikhande VN. Formulation and Characterization of Solid Dispersions of Etoricoxib Using Natural Polymers .Turk J Pharm Sci 2020;17(1):7-19.
15) Shinde SS, Shete AS, Patil MV, Varne BS. Different Binary Polymer Mixture For Solubility Enhancement Of Poorly Water Soluble Drug By Solid Dispersion Technique. Int J PharmTech Res 2012;4(3):1159-1166.
16) Bhagat SA, Sakhare AV. Formulation and Evaluation of Simvastatin Solid Dispersion Tablets. International Journal of Science and Research 2014;3(8):1050-1057.
17) Rao M, Mandage Y, Thanki K, Bhise S. Dissolution improvement of Simvastatin by Surface solid dispersion technology. Dissolution Technol 2010;27-34.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.