FABRICATION OF SILVER NANOPARTICLES SYNTHESIZED FROM GANODERMA LUCIDUM INTO THE COTTON FABRIC AND ITS ANTIMICROBIAL PROPERTY
Objectives: To synthesize and characterize the silver nanoparticles from the mushroom, Ganoderma lucidum and application of this nanoparicle into the cotton fabric to impart sterility.
Methods: SNPs synthesised by using the fruiting body of Ganoderma lucidum, Resulted AgNPs fabricated cotton fabric was characterized using SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope) and silver nanoparticles produced from G. lucidum were characterized using UV-VIS Spectrophotometer, SEM, FE-SEM (Field Emission Scanning Electron Microscope), EDAX (Energy dispersion X-RAY spectroscopy)and XRD (X-ray diffraction spectroscpy). Then the incorporated cotton fabric was tested against 5 different strains.
Results: The results showed that cotton fabric incorporated with AgNPs displayed significant antibacterial activity against all the selected strains.
Conclusion: It was demonstrated that application of biologically synthesized AgNPs production and fabrication of cotton fabric, indicates sterile properties. Further it can be modified as perfect wound dressing material in the health care market. Moreover to avoid the damage to the environment the fabric containing silver nanoparticles can be treated with cyanogenic bacterial strains.
2. Maynard, Michelson. Woodrow wilson international center for scholars: analysis-consumer products-nanotechnology project. [http://www.Nanotechproject.org/inventories/consumer/analysis_draft/]. Nanotechnology 2005;16:2346-53.
3. Kim JS, Kuk E, Yu KN, Kim JH, Park SJ, Lee HJ, et al. Antimicrobial effects of silver nanoparticles. Nanomedicine 2007;3:95-101.
4. Lee HY, Park HK, Lee YM, Kim K, Park SB. A practical procedure for producing silver nanocoated fabric and its antibacterial evaluation for biomedical applications. Chem Commun 2007;28:2959-61.
5. Vigneshwaran N, Kathe AA, Varadarajan PV, Nachane RP, Balasubramanya RH. Functional finishing of cotton fabrics using silver nanoparticles. J Nanosci Nanotechnol 2007;7:1893-7.
6. R Holladay, W Moeller, D Mehta, J Brooks, R Roy, M Mortenson. Application Number WO2005US47699 20051230 European Patent Office; 2006.
7. Y Li, P Leung, L Yao, QW Song, E Newton. Antimicrobial effect of surgical masks coated with nanoparticles. J Hospital Infectent 2006;62(1):58-63.
8. M Schaller, J Laude, H Bodewaldt, G Hamm, HC Korting. Toxicity and antimicrobial activity of a hydrocolloid dressing containing silver particles in an ex vivo model of cutaneous infection. Skin Pharmacol Physiol 2004;17:31-6.
9. HQ Yin, R Langford, RE Burrell. Comparative evaluation of the antimicrobial activity of ACTICOAT antimicrobial barrier dressing. J Burn Care Rehabil 1999;20:195-200.
10. Sondi B, Salopek-Sondi. Silver nanoparticles as antimicrobial agent: a case study on E. coli as a model for Gram-negative bacteria. J Colloid Interface Sci 2004;275:177-82.
11. C Aymonier, U Scholotterbeck, L Antonietti, P Zacharias, R Thomann, JC Tiller, et al. Hybrids of silver nanoparticles with amphiphilic hyperbranched macromolecules exhibiting antimicrobial properties. Chem Commun 2002;24:3018-1.
12. P Jain, T Pradeep. Potential of silver nanoparticles-coated polyurethane foam as an antibacterial water ï¬lter. Biotechnol Bioeng 2005;90:59-63.
13. N DurÃ¡n, PD Marcato, OL Alves, GIH De Souza, E Esposito. Mechanistic aspects of biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles by several fusarium oxysporum strains. J Nanobiotechnol 2005;3:3-8.
14. Daizy Philip. Biosynthesis of Au, Ag and Auâ€“Ag nanoparticles using edible mushroom extract. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2009;73:374â€“81.
15. Nelson Duran, Priscyla D Marcato, Gabriel IH, De Souza, Oswaldo L. Alves, Elisa Esposito. Antibacterial effect of silver nanoparticles produced by fungal process on textile fabrics and their effluent treatment. Biomed Nanotechnol 2007;7:203â€“8.
16. SS Shankar, A Raj, B Ankamwar, S Singh, A Ahmad, M Sastry. Biological synthesis of triangular gold nanoprisms. Nat Mater 2004;3:482-8.
17. BJ Wiley, SH Im, J McLellan, A Siekkinen, Y Xia. Maneuvering the surface plasmon resonance of silver nanostructures through shape-controlled synthesis. J Phys Chem B 2006; 110(32):15666-75.
18. JH Fendler. editor. John Wiley & Son; 1998;7:299.
19. SP Chandran, M Chaudhary, R Pasricha, A Ahmad, M Sastry. Synthesis of gold nanotriangular and silver nanoparticles using Aloe vera plant extract. Biotechnol Prog 2006;22(2):577-83.
20. G Narasimha, B Praveen, K Mallikarjuna, B Deva Prasad Raju. Mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus) mediated biosynthesis of sliver nanoparticles, characterization and their antimicrobial activity. Int J Nano Dim Summer 2011;2(1):29-36.
21. Nelson Duran, Priscyla D Marcato, Gabriel IH, De Souza, Oswaldo L Alves, Elisa Esposito. Antibacterial effect of silver nanoparticles produced by fungal process on textile fabrics and their effluent treatment. Biomed Nanotechnol 2007;3:203â€“8.
22. Aynul Rifaya M, Meyyappan RM. Use of herbal nano silver for fabrication of antimicrobial cotton fabrics and testing its efficacy against microbes. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6(2):342-6.