ANTIDIABETIC AND ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITY OF RESVERATROL AND VITAMIN-C COMBINATION ON STREPTOZOTOCIN INDUCED DIABETIC RATS
Objective: Resveratrol and vitamin-C combination was evaluated for its antidiabetic and antioxidant activity in streptozotocin (STZ) induced diabetic rats.
Methods: The wistar rats were challenged with a single intra peritoneal injection of STZ (50 mg/kg). The rats were treated with graded oral dose of 10 mg/kg of resveratrol and 0.9 g/kg of Vitamin C for 21 days. The fasting blood glucose levels were monitored for all animals in 1,7,14 and 21 days of drug treatments by using glucometer. The liver homogenate was used for estimation of proteins, malondialdehyde (MDA), lipid hydroperoxide (LH), Super Oxide Dismutase (SOD), Catalase (CAT), Glutathione reductase (GSSH) and Reduced glutathione (GSH).
Results: Resveratrol with vitamin C combination showed significant (P<0.01) increase in body weight, total protein, and significant (P<0.01) decrease in fasting blood sugar level, MDA and LH, when compared to diabetic control. Resveratrol and vitamin C significantly (P<0.01) restored the levels of both enzymatic (SOD, CAT, GSSH) and non enzymatic antioxidant enzymes (GSH) which are almost similar to the control.
Conclusion: Resveratrol and vitamin C both is having antioxidant activity, but the combination showed synergistic antioxidant & antidiabetic activity. Thus, the present study provides a significant rationale for the management of diabetes.
2. Pavkov ME, Hanson RL, Knowler WC, Bennett PH, Krakoff J, Nelson RG. Changing patterns of type 2 diabetes incidence among pima Indians. Diabetes Care 2007;30:1758â€“63.
3. Aggarwal BB, Bhardwaj A, Aggarwal RS, Seeram NP, Shishodia S, Takada Y. Role of resveratrol in prevention and therapy of cancer: preclinical and clinical studies. Anticancer Res 2004;24:2783-840.
4. Busquets S, Ametller E, Fuster G, Olivan M, Raab V, Argiles JM, et al. Resveratrol, a natural diphenol, reduces metastatic growth in an experimental cancer model. Cancer Lett 2007;245:144-8.
5. Chanvitayapongs S, Draczynska-Lusiak B, Sun AY. Amelioration of oxidative stress by antioxidants and resveratrol in PC12 cells. NeuroReport 1997;8:1499-502.
6. Chi TC, Chen WP, Chi TL, Kuo TF, Lee SS, Cheng JT, et al. Phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase is involved in the anti hypoglycemic effect induced by resveratrol in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Life Sci 2007;80:1713-20.
7. Dipak K Das, Nilanjana Maulik. Resveratrol in cardioprotection: a therapeutic promise of alternative medicine. Mol Interv 2006;6:36-47.
8. Shankar S, Singh G, Srivastava RK. Chemoprevention by resveratrol: molecular mechanisms and therapeutic potential. Front Biosci 2007;12:4839-54.
9. Howerde E. Sauberlich: pharmacology of vitamin C. Annu Rev Nutr 1994;14:371-91.
10. Patriciaz craven, Valerian E, Kagan T, Rebecca K. Studer. Effects of supplementation with vitamin C or E on Albuminuria, Glomerular TGF-Î², and Glomerular size in diabetes. J Am Soc Nephrol 1997;8:1405-14.
11. Lowry OH, Rosenbourgh NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ. Protein measurement with Folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 1951;193:265-75.
12. Nieshus WG, Samuelsson B. Formation of MDA from phospholipids arachidonate during microsomal lipid peroxidation. Eur J Biochem 1986;6:126-30.
13. Racker E. Glutathione reductase from bakersâ€™ yeast and beef liver. J Biol Chem 1955;217:855-66.
14. Ellman GL. Tissue sulphydryl groups. Arch Biochem Biophys 1959;82:70-7.
15. Kakkar P, Das B, Viswanathan PN. A modified spectrophotometric assay of superoxide dismutase. Indian J Biochem Biophys 1984;2:130-2.
16. Aebi H. Methods in enzymatic analysis. 2nd edition. Academic press: New York; 1974. p. 673-84.
17. Christos Kalofoutis, Christina Piperi, Anastasios Kalofoutis, Fred, Harris, David Phoenix, et al. Type II diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular risk factors: Current therapeutic approaches. Exp Clin Cardiol 2007;12:17â€“28.
18. Parthasarathy R, Ilavarasan R, Karrunakaran CM. Antidiabetic activity of Thespesia Populnea bark and leaf extracts against streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Int J PharmTech Res 2009;1:1062-71.
19. Szkudelski T. The mechanism of alloxan and streptozocin action in Î² cell of the rats pancreas. Physiol Res 2001;50:536-46.
20. Kamchouing P, Sokeng DS, Moundipa FP, Watcho P, Jatsa BH Lontsi D. Protective role of anacardium occidentale extract against streptozocin-induced in rats. J Ethnopharmacol 1998;62:55-99.
21. Kako M, Miura T, Nishiyama Y, Ichimaru M, Moriyasu Kato M. Hypoglycemic activity of some triterpenoid glycosides. J Nat Prod 1997;60:604-5.