COMPLEXATION STUDY OF GLIMEPIRIDE WITH Mg<sup>2+</sup>, Ca<sup>2+</sup>, Cu<sup>2+</sup>AND Zn<sup>2+</sup>CATIONS IN METHANOL BY CONDUCTOMETRY, SPECTROPHOTOMETRY AND LC-MS
Objective: The present work describes complexation study of sulfonylurea based drug, glimepiride with divalent metal ions (Mg2+, Ca2+, Cu2+and Zn2+) in methanol by conductometry, spectrophotometry and liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry.
Methods: The stoichiometry of resulting metal ion-glimepiride complexes were ascertained by molar conductance vs. mole ratio of glimepiride/metal ion plots, Jobâ€™s method of continuous variation and liquid chromatography-mass spectrometric analysis. The values of enthalpy and entropy of complexation reactions in methanol were obtained from vanâ€™t Hoff plots.
Results: The formation constants of 1:1 (M2+: glimepiride) complexes at different temperatures followed the order Mg2+>Cu2+>Zn2+>Ca2+by conductometry as well as spectrophotometry. High molar conductivities were observed for all the complexes indicating formation of charged complex and the results were supported by the presence of protonated precursor complex ions in the mass spectral study.
Conclusion: The stability of complexes increased with temperature suggesting endothermic nature of complexation reactions. The thermodynamic data showed that all the complexes formed were entropy stabilized and enthalpy destabilized. A good linear relationship between âˆ†H and Tâˆ†S values suggests existence of entropyâ€“enthalpy compensation in the complexation of these four cations with glimepiride.
2. Davis SN. The role of glimepiride in the effective management of type 2 diabetes. J Diabetes Complications 2004;18:367-76.
3. Kramer W, Muller G, Geisen K. Characterization of the molecular mode of action of the sulfonylurea, glimepiride at Î²-Cells. Horm Metab Res 1996;28:464-8.
4. Kramer W, Muller G, Girbig F, Gutjahr U. Differential interaction of glimepiride and glibenclamide with the fl-cell sulfonylurea receptor II. Photoaffinity labeling of a 65 kDa protein by [3H] glimepiride. Biochim Biophys Acta 1994;1191:278-90.
5. Langtry HD, Balfour JA. Glimepiride a review of its use in the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Drugs 1998;55:563-84.
6. Tripathi K. A Reviewâ€“Can metal ions be incorporated into drugs? Asian J Res Chem 2009;2:14-8.
7. Sadler PJ, Guo Z. Metal complexes in medicine: Design and mechanism of action. Pure Appl Chem 1998;70:863-71.
8. Werbach MR. Foundations of Nutritional Medicine. Tarzana, CA: Third Line Press Inc; 1997. p. 212-3.
9. Balk EM, Tatsioni A, Lichtenstein AH, Lau J, Pittas AG. Effect of chromium supplementation on glucose metabolism and lipids. A systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Diabetes Care 2007;30:2154-63.
10. Sun Q, van Dam RM, Willett WC, Hu FB. Prospective study of zinc intake and risk of type 2 diabetes in women. Diabetes Care 2009;32:629-34.
11. Standl E, Maxeiner S, Raptis S, Karimi-Anderesi Z, Schweitzer MA. Good glycemic control with flexibility in timing of basal insulin supply. Diabetes Care 2005;28:419-20.
12. Tawkir M, Khairou K, Zaafarany I. Spectroscopic and thermal characterization of gliclazide, glibenclamide and glimeperide complexes with transition and inner transition metals. Orient J Chem 2012;28:1697-710.
13. Abd El-Wahed MG, El-Megharbel SM, El-Sayed MY, Zahran YM, Refat MS. Synthesis of several new lanthanide glimepiride complexes for evaluation of microbial activity. Russ J Gen Chem 2013;83:2438-46.
14. Iqbal SA, Jose S, Jacob G. Synthesis, characterisation and spectral studies of metal complexes of glimepiride, an oral antidiabetic drug. Orient J Chem 2011;27:731-5.
15. Tawkir M, Iqbal SA, Krishan B, Zaafarany I. Synthesis and characterisation of glimeperide complexes of copper, magnesium, nickel and cadmium. Orient J Chem 2011;27:603-9.
16. Jose S, Jacob G. Synthesis, Physico-chemical and spectral studies of mercury complex of glimepiride, an oral antidiabetic drug. Orient J Chem 2013;29:565-72.
17. Jose S, Iqbal SA, Pathak A. Synthesis and characterization of molybdenum complex of glimepiride, an oral antidiabetic drug. Asian J Pharm Educ Res 2013;2:68-84.
18. Jose S, Iqbal SA. Synthesis, characterization and antidiabetic study of Nd (III) complex of 1-(p-(2-(3-ethyl-4-methyl-2-oxo-3-pyrroline-1-carboxamido)ethyl)phenyl)sulfonyl)-3-(trans-4-methyl cyclohexyl) urea amaryl or glimepiride, an oral antidiabetic drug. Biomed Pharmacol J 2013;6:111-24.
19. Jose S, Zaafarany I. Synthesis, physico-chemical, spectral and hypoglycemic activity of samarium complex of glimepiride, an oral antidiabetic drug. Biomed Pharmacol J 2013;6:89-98.
20. Chirsty FA, Shrivastav PS. Conductometric studies on cation-crown ether complexes: a review. Crit Rev Anal Chem 2011;41:236-69.
21. Marczenko Z. Separation and Spectrophotometric Determination of Elements. John Wiley and Sons: New York, USA; 1986.
22. Wu YC, Koch WF. Absolute determination of electrolytic conductivity for primary standard KCl solutions from 0 to 50 Â°C. J Solution Chem 1991;20:391-401.
23. Rounaghi GH, Mohajeri M, Doaei M, Ghaemi A. Solvent influence upon complex formation between benzo-15-crown-5 and Mg2+, Ca2+and Sr2+cations in some pure and binary mixed solvents using conductometric method. J Inclusion Phenom Macrocyclic Chem 2010;67:443-50.
24. Rahimi-Nasrabadi M, Ahmadi F, Pourmortazavi SM, Ganjali MR, Alizadeh K. Conductometric study of complex formations between some substituted pyrimidines and some metal ions in acetonitrile and the determination of thermodynamic parameters. J Mol Liq 2009;144:97-101.
25. Yoe JH, Jones AL. Colorimetric determination of iron with disodium-1,2-dihydroxybenzene-3,5-disulfonate. Anal Chem 1944;16:111-5.
26. Job P. Formation and stability of inorganic complexes in solution. Ann Chim 1928;9:113-203.
27. Irving H, Williams RJP. The stability of transition-metal complexes. J Chem Soc 1953;3192-210. Doi: 10.1039/ JR9530003192. [Article in Press]
28. Payehghadr M, Zamani A, Sadaghiani ARS, Taghdiri M. Spectrophotometric and conductometric studies of the thermodynamics complexation of Zn2+, Ni2+, Co2+, Pb2+and Cu2+ions with 1,13-bis (8-quinolyl)-1,4,7,10,13-pentaoxa tridecane ligand in acetonitrile solution. J Inclusion Phenom Macrocyclic Chem 2008;62:255-61.
29. Hirose K. A practical guide for the determination of binding constants. J Inclusion Phenom Macrocyclic Chem 2001;39:193-209.