DEVELOPMENT OF EFFICIENT CLOUD POINT EXTRACTION METHOD FOR PRECONCENRATION AND SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC DETERMINATION OF NICKEL IN WATER SAMPLES USING 2-(BENZOTHIAZOLYLZAO)ORCINOL
Objective: Efficient cloud point extraction (CPE) methodology was developed for pre concentration of trace nickel in water samples prior to their determination by spectrophotometry.
Methods: The method is based on the reaction of nickel with 2-(benzothiazolyl azo) orcinol reagent (BTAO) at pH 7.0 and micelle-mediated extraction using the nonionic surfactant Triton X-114 medium.
Results: The surfactant-rich phase was diluted with methanol and the nickel content was determined at 558 nm. The optimum conditions (e. g. pH, reagent and surfactant concentrations, and temperature and centrifugation times) were evaluated and optimized. The proposed CPE method showed linear calibration within the range 10â€“250 ng/ml of nickel and the limit of detection of the method was 2.0 ng/ml with a pre concentration factor of Â 50. The relative standard deviation (RSD) and relative error were found to be 1.10% (N = 6). The interference effect of some cations and anions was also studied.
Conclusion: The method was applied to the determination of nickel in water samples with a recovery from the spiked samples in the range of 95.85â€“98.50%.
2. Kristiansen J, Christensen JM, Henriksen T, Nielsen NH, Menne T. Determination of nickel in fingernails and forearm skin (stratum corneum). Anal Chim Acta 2000;403:265â€“72.
3. Lu LK, Warshaw EM, Dunnick CA. Prevention of nickel allergy: the case for regulation? Dermatol Clin 2009;27:155-61.
4. Scaccia S. Determination of traces of Ni, Co and Fe in Li2CO3/K2CO3 melts by flame atomic absorption spectrometry. Talanta 1999;49:467â€“72.
5. Ferreira SLC, dos Santos WNL, Lemos VA. Field sampling system for determination of cadmium and nickel in fresh water by flame atomic absorption spectrometry. Anal Chim Acta 2001;445:145â€“51.
6. Mirza MA, Khuhawar MY, Arain R. Determination of uranium, iron, copper, and nickel in rock and water samples by MEKC. J Sep Sci 2008;31:3037-44.
7. Scaccia S. Determination of traces of Ni in Li2CO3/Na2CO3 melts by graphite furnace atomic absorption spectrometry. Talanta 2005;66:805â€“8.
8. Ferreira SLC, de Brito CF, Dantas AF, Araujo NMLD, Costa ACS. Nickel determination in saline matrices by ICP-AES after sorption on Amberlite XAD-2 loaded with PAN. Talanta 1999;48:1173â€“7.
9. Batista BL, Rodrigues JL, Nunes JA, Tormen L, Curtius AJ, Jr FB. Simultaneous determination of Cd, Cu, Mn, Ni, Pb and Zn in nail samples by inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS) after tetramethylammonium hydroxide solubilization at room temperature: Comparison with ETAAS. Talanta 2008;76:575â€“9.
10. Åžahan Y, Basoglu F, GÃ¼cer S. ICP-MS analysis of a series of metals (Namely: Mg, Cr, Co, Ni, Fe, Cu, Zn, Sn, Cd and Pb) in black and green olive samples from Bursa, Turkey. Food Chem 2007;105:395â€“9.
11. Barreto WJ, Barreto SRG, Scarminio IS, Ishikawa DN, Soares MF, de ProenÃ§a M VB. Determination of Ni(II) in metal alloys by spectrophotometry UV-vis using dopasemiquinone. Quim Nova 2010;33:109-13.
12. Fakharia AR, Khorramia AR, Naeimib H. Synthesis and analytical application of a novel tetradentate N2O2 Schiff base as a chromogenic reagent for determination of nickel in some natural food samples. Talanta 2005;66:813-7.
13. Ma QL, Su MH, Wang ZH, Nie LH, Liang SC, Ma HM. Determination of nickel by a new chromogenic azocalixarene. Anal Chim Acta 2001;439:73-9.
14. Hu QF, Yang GY, Huang ZJ, Yin JY. Determination of nickel with 2-(2-Quinolylazo)-5-diethylaminoaniline as a chromogenic reagent. Anal Sci 2003;19:1449-52.
15. Hu Q, Yang G, Huang Z, Yin A. Study on solid phase extraction and spectrophotometric determination of nickel in waters and biological samples. Bull Korean Chem Soc 2004;25:545-8.
16. Suresh T, Kumar SS, Kottureshawara NM, Revanasidappa M, Suresh SK. Spectrophotometric study of nitrogen base adducts of nickel(II)-4-methyl-8â€“quinolinate. E-J Chem 2008;5:404-8.
17. Macit M, Bati H, Bati B. Synthesis of 4-benzyl-1-piperazineglyoxime and its use in the spectrophotometric determination of nickel. Turk J Chem 2000;24:81-9.
18. Kumar SK, Swaroop LB, Rao PS, Chiranjeevi P. Spectrophotometric determination of nickel using a new chromogenic reagent in plant leaves. Int J Environ Stud 2004;61:719-6.
19. Ghaedi M. Selective and sensitized spectrophotometric determination of trace amounts of Ni(II) ion using Î±-benzyl dioxime in surfactant media. Spectrochim Acta A 2007;66:295-301.
20. Kumar SK, Rao PS, Krishnaiah L, Jayaraj B, Chiranjeevi P. Determination of nickel in alloys and plant leaves with salicylaldehyde 3-oxobutanoylhydrazone by spectrophotometry. Anal Sci 2004;20:951-3.
21. Li Z, Pan J, Tang J. Determination of nickel in food by spectrophotometry with o-carboxylbenzenediazo-aminoazobenzene. Anal Lett 2002;35:167-83.
22. Amin AS, AL-Attas AS. Study of the solid phase extraction and spectrophotometric determination of nickel using 5-(4'-chlorophenylazo)-6-hydroxypyrimidine-2,4-dione in environmental samples. J Saudi Chem Soc 2012;16:451â€“9.
23. Haji Shabani AM, Dadfarnia S, Shahbaazi Z, Jafari AA. Extraction spectrophotometric of nickel at microgram level in water and waste water using 2-[(2-mercaptophenylimino)methyl]phenol. Bull Chem Soc Ethiop 2008;22:323-9.
24. Yoshikuni N, Baba T, Tsunoda N, Oguma K. Aqueous two-phase extraction of nickel dimethylglyoximato complex and its application to spectrophotometric determination of nickel in stainless steel. Talanta 2005;66:40-4.
25. Ramachandraiah C, Kumar JR, Reddy KJ, Narayana SL, Reddy AV. Development of a highly sensitive extractive spectrophotometric method for the determination of nickel(II) from environmental matrices using N-ethyl-3-carbazolecarboxaldehyde-3-thiosemicarbazone. J Environ Manage 2008;88:729-36.
26. Lokhande RS, Patil VR, Shevde PP, Lele SM. Analytical method development for extractive spectrophotometric determination of nickel using bis[3-hydroxyimino-5-methyl-N-methyl-2-imine as a new analytical reagent. Int J Chem Sci 2010;8:769-76.
27. Moghaddam HH. A selective flotation-spectrophotometric method for the determination of nickel using dimethylglyoxime. J Braz Chem Soc 2011;22:1056-60.
28. Mandhare DB, Barhate VD. Development of extractive spectrophotometric method for the determination of nickel (II) with Schiff base 2-[(2-hydroxyphenylimino)methyl]-4-nitrophenol. J Chem Pharm Res 2015;7:1069-73.
29. Reddy DN, Reddy KV, Tegegne BM, Reddy VK. Development of a highly sensitive extractive spectrophotometric method for the determination of nickel(II) from environmental matrices using 2-acetylpyridine-4-methyl-3-thiosemicarbazone. Am J Anal Chem 2012;3:719-26.
30. BahadÄ±r Z, Ozdes D, Bulut VN, Duran C, Bayrak HE, BektaÅŸ H. Cadmium and nickel determinations in some food and water samples by the combination of carrier element-free coprecipitation and flame atomic absorption spectrometry. Toxicol Environ Chem 2013;95:737-46.
31. Hol A, Akdogan A, Kartal AA, Divrikli U, Elci L. Dispersive liquidâ€“liquid microextraction of nickel prior to its determination by microsample injection system-flame atomic absorption spectrometry. Anal Lett 2014;47:2195-208.
32. Park YJ, Fray DJ. Separation of zinc and nickel ions in a strong acid through liquidâ€“liquid extraction. J Hazard Mater 2009;163:259â€“65.
33. Ghaedi M, Ahmadi F, Soylak M. Preconcentration and separation of nickel, copper and cobalt using solid phase extraction and their determination in some real samples. J Hazard Mater 2007;147:226-31.
34. Ciftci H, Temuz MM, Ciftci E. Simultaneous preconcentration and determination of Ni and Pb in water samples by solid-phase extraction and flame Atomic absorption spectrometry. J AOAC Int 2013;96:875-9.
35. Mustafa Soylak, Yunus Emre Unsal, Ayse Aydin, Nebiye Kizil. Membrane filtration of nickel(II) on cellulose acetate filters for its preconcentration, separation, and flame atomic absorption spectrometric determination. CLEANâ€“Soil Air Water 2010;38:91-5.
36. Anastas PT. Green chemistry and the role of analytical methodology development. Crit Rev Anal Chem 1999;29:167â€“75.
37. Bezerra MA, Arruda Z, Ferreira SLC. Cloud point extraction as a procedure of separation and pre-concentration for metal determination using spectroanalytical techniques: a review. Appl Spectrosc Rev 2005;40:269-99.
38. Ojeda CB, Rojas FS. Separation and preconcentration by a cloud point extraction procedure for determination of metals: an overview. Anal Bioanal Chem 2009;394:759â€“82.
39. Ojeda CB, Rojas FS. Separation and preconcentration by cloud point extraction procedures for determination of ions: recent trends and applications. Microchim Acta 2012;177:1â€“21.
40. Galbeiro R, Garcia S, Gaubeur I. A green and efficient procedure for the preconcentration and determination of cadmium, nickel and zinc from fresh water, hemodialysis solutions and tuna fish samples by cloud point extraction and flame atomic absorption spectrometry. J Trace Elem Med Biol 2014;28:160â€“5.
41. Borkowska-Burnecka J, Szymczycha-Madeja A, Zyrnicki W. Determination of toxic and other trace elements in calcium-rich materials using cloud point extraction and inductively coupled plasma emission spectrometry. J Hazard Mater 2010;182:477â€“83.
42. Afkhami A, Bahram M. Cloud point extraction simultaneous spectrophotometric determination of Zn (II), Co (II) and Ni (II) in water and urine samples by 1-(2-pyridylazo) 2-naphthol using partial least squares regression. Microchim Acta 2006;155:403â€“8.
43. Shokoufi N, Shemirani F, Memarzadeh F. Fiber optic-linear array detection spectrophotometry in combination with cloud point extraction for simultaneous preconcentration and determination of cobalt and nickel. Anal Chim Acta 2007;601:204â€“11.
44. Mohammadi SZ, Afzali D, Pourtalebi D. Flame atomic absorption spectrometric determination of trace amounts of palladium, gold and nickel after cloud point extraction. J Anal Chem 2011;66:620â€“5.
45. Silva EL, Roldan P dS, GinÃ© MF. Simultaneous preconcentration of copper, zinc, cadmium, and nickel in water samples by cloud point extraction using 4-(2-pyridylazo)-resorcinol and their determination by inductively coupled plasma optic emission spectrometry. J Hazard Mat 2009;171:1133â€“8.
46. Chen J, Teo KC. Determination of cobalt and nickel in water samples by flame atomic absorption spectrometry after cloud point extraction. Anal Chim Acta 2001;434:325â€“30.
47. Silva SG, Oliveira PV, NÃ³brega JA, Rocha FRP. Cloud point extraction to avoid interferences by structured background on nickel determination in plant materials by FAAS. Anal Methods 2009;1:68â€“70.
48. Lemos VA, Santos MS, David GT, Maciel MV, Bezerra MA. Development of a cloud-point extraction method for copper and nickel determination in food samples. J Hazard Mater 2008;159:245â€“51.
49. Lemos VA, da Franca RS, Moreira BO. Cloud point extraction for Co and Ni determination in water samples by flame atomic absorption spectrometry. Sep Purific Tech 2007;54:349â€“54.
50. Meeravali NN, Reddy MA, Kumar SJ. Cloud point extraction of trace metals from seawater and determination by electrothermal atomic absorption spectrometry with iridium permanent modifier. Anal Sci 2007;23:351â€“6.
51. Giokas DL, Paleologos EK, Tzouwara-Karayanni SM, Karayannis MI. Single-sample cloud point determination of iron, cobalt and nickel by flow injection analysis flame atomic absorption spectrometry-application to real samples and certified reference materials. J Anal At Spectrom 2001;16:521â€“6.
52. Zeng C, Xu X, Zhou N, Lin Y. Synergistic enhancement effect of room temperature ionic liquids for cloud point extraction combined with UVâ€“vis spectrophotometric determination nickel in environmental samples. Spectrochim Acta A 2012;94:48â€“52.
53. Manzoori JL, Karim-Nezhad G. Development of a cloud point extraction and preconcentration method for Cd and Ni prior to flame atomic absorption spectrometric determination. Anal Chim Acta 2004;521:173â€“7.
54. Farajzadeh MA, Fallahi MR. Simultaneous cloud-point extraction of nine cations from water samples and their determination by flame atomic absorption spectrometry. Anal Sci 2006;22:635â€“9.
55. Zhao L, Zhong S, Fang K, Qian Z, Chen J. Determination of cadmium(II), cobalt(II), nickel(II), lead(II), zinc(II), and copper(II) in water samples using dual-cloud point extraction and inductively coupled plasma emission spectrometry. J Hazard Mater 2012;239â€“240:206â€“12.
56. Kilinc E, Cetin A, Togrul M, Hosgoren H. Synthesis of bis(amino alcohol)oxalamides and their usage for the preconcentration of trace metals by cloud point extraction. Anal Sci 2008;24:763â€“8.
57. Song J, Zhen W, Li Z, Lian Y, Yang Y. Ultrasonic-assisted cloud point extraction for determination of nickel in water samples by flame atomic absorption spectrometry. Water Sci Technol 2012;66:792â€“8.
58. Shemirani F, Jamali MR, Kozani RR, Niasari MS. Cloud point extraction and preconcentration for the determination of Cu and Ni in natural water by flame atomic absorption spectrometry. Sep Sci Technol 2006;41:3065â€“77.
59. Shokrollahi A, Eslami S, Kianfar AH. Flame atomic absorption determination of Ni2+, Cu2+and Co2+ions in some water and food samples after cloud point extraction using a thio Schiff-base as a new complexing agent. Chem Sci Trans 2012;1:217â€“25.
60. Sun Z, Liang P, Ding Q, Cao J. Determination of trace nickel in water samples by cloud point extraction preconcentration coupled with graphite furnace atomic absorption spectrometry. J Hazard Mater 2006;B137:943â€“6.
61. Garcia S, Galbeiro R, Silva SG, Nomura CS, Rocha FRP, Gaubeur I. An environmentally friendly analytical procedure for nickel determination by atomic and molecular spectrometry after cloud point extraction in different samples. Anal Methods 2012;4:2429â€“34.
62. Safavi A, Abdollahi H, Hormozi Nezhad MR, Kamali R. Cloud point extraction, preconcentration and simultaneous spectrophotometric determination of nickel and cobalt in water samples. Spectrochim Acta A 2004;60:2897â€“901.
63. Ghaedi M, Shokrollahi A, Niknam K, Soylak M. Cloud point extraction of copper, zinc, iron and nickel in biological and environmental samples by flame atomic absorption spectrometry. Sep Sci Technol 2009;44:773â€“86.
64. Ghaedi M, Shokrollahi A, Niknam K, Niknam E, Soylak M. Development of efficient method for preconcentration and determination of copper, nickel, zinc and iron ions in environmental samples by combination of cloud point extraction and flame atomic absorption spectrometry. Cent Eur J Chem 2009;7:148â€“54.
65. Sahin CA, Efecinar M, Satiroglu N. Combination of cloud point extraction and flame atomic absorption spectrometry for preconcentration and determination of nickel and manganese ions in water and food samples. J Hazard Mater 2010;176:672â€“7.
66. Ojeda CB, Rojas FS, Pavon JMC. A greener and sensitive procedure for nickel determination by cloud point extraction and UV/Vis spectrophotometry. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2010;1:514â€“23.
67. Amais RS, Tarley CRT. Experimental design approach in the diethyldithiocarbamate-nickel chelate preconcentration using cloud point method and determination by GF AAS. Can J Anal Sci Spectrosc 2008;53:130â€“40.
68. Shah SM, Wang HN, Su XG. Determination of trace amounts of nickel(II) by graphite furnace atomic absorption spectrometry coupled with cloud point extraction. Chem Res Chin Univ 2011;27:366â€“70.
69. Ghaedi M, Shokrollahi A, Ahmadia F, Rajabi HR, Soylak M. Cloud point extraction for the determination of copper, nickel and cobalt ions in environmental samples by flame atomic absorption spectrometry. J Hazard Mater 2008;150:533â€“40.
70. Manzoori JL, Tabrizi AB. Cloud point preconcentration and flame atomic absorption spectrometric determination of cobalt and nickel in water samples. Microchim Acta 2003;141:201â€“7.
71. Abdolmohammad-Zadeh H, Ebrahimzadeh E. Ligandless cloud point extraction for trace nickel determination in water samples by flame atomic absorption spectrometry. J Braz Chem Soc 2011;22:517â€“24.
72. Pytlakowska K, Kozik V, Dabioch M. Complex-forming organic ligands in cloud-point extraction of metal ions: a review. Talanta 2013;110:202â€“28.
73. Britton HTS. â€œHydrogen ionsâ€ 4th Ed. London: Chapman and Hall; 1952. p. 1168.
74. Amin AS. The surfactant-sensitized analytical reaction of niobium with some thiazolylazo compounds. Microchem J 2000;65:261â€“7.
75. Dos Santos WNL, Santos JVS, Silva LOB, AraÃºjo AS, Lemos VA, MirÃ³ M, et al. On-line simultaneous pre-concentration procedure for the determination of cadmium and lead in drinking water employing sequential multi-element flame atomic absorption spectrometry. Int J Environ Anal Chem 2011;91:1425-35.