CLOUD POINT EXTRACTION, PRECONCENRATION AND SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC DETERMINATION OF COBALT IN WATER SAMPLES
Objective: A new cloud point extraction (CPE) method was developed for pre concentration of trace cobalt (II) in water samples.
Methods: The method is based on the complexation reaction of Co (II) with 2-(benzothiazolyl azo)-4-nitrophenol reagent (BTANP) at pH 7.0 and micelle-mediated extraction using the nonionic surfactant Triton X-114 of the complex.
Results: The enriched analyte in the surfactant-rich phase was diluted with methanol and the cobalt content was determined by spectrophotometry at 549 nm. The optimum conditions (e. g. pH, reagent and surfactant concentrations, and temperature and centrifugation times) were evaluated and optimized. The proposed CPE method showed linear calibration within the range 10â€“300 ng/ml of Co(II) and the limit of detection of the method was 1.5 ng/ml with a pre concentration factor of 50. The relative standard deviation (RSD) was found to be 1.20% (N = 6). The interference effect of some cations and anions was also studied.
Conclusion: The proposed method has been successfully applied to the determination of Co(II) in water samples with a recovery from spiked samples in the range of 96.60â€“98.70%.
2. Belitz HD, Grosch W. Food Chemistry, Springer-Verlag, Berlin; 1987. p. 774.
3. ATSDR, Toxicological Profile for Cobalt, U. S. Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta; 2001.
4. Mahmood K, Wattoo FH, Wattoo MHS, Imran M, Asad MJ, Tirmizi SA, et al. Spectrophotometric estimation of cobalt with ninhydrin. Saudi J Biol Sci 2012;19:247â€“50.
5. Zhao S, Xia X, Hu Q. Complex formation of the new reagent 5-(6-methoxy-2-benzothiazoleazo)-8-aminoquinoline with cobalt and nickel for their sensitive spectrophotometric detection. Anal Chim Acta 1999;391:365â€“71.
6. Guzar SH, Qin-han JIN. Simple, selective and sensitive spectrophotometric method for determination of trace amounts of nickel(II), copper (II), cobalt (II) and iron (III) with a novel reagent 2-pyridine carboxaldehyde isonicotinyl hydrazone. Chem Res Chin Univ 2008;24:143â€“7.
7. Anusuya Devi VS, Reddy VK. Spectrophotometric determination of iron(II) and cobalt(II) by direct, derivative and simultaneous methods using 2-hydroxy-1-naphthaldehyde-p-hydroxy benzoichydrazone. Int J Anal Chem 2012;2012:1-12.
8. Malik AK, Kaul KN, Lark BS, Faubel W, Rao ALJ. Spectrophotometric determination of cobalt, nickel palladium, copper, ruthenium and molybdenum using sodium isoamylxanthate in presence of surfactants. Turk J Chem 2001;25:99â€“105.
9. Shar GA, Soomro GA. Spectrophotometric determination of cobalt(II), nickel(II) and copper (II) with 1-(2-pyridylazo)-2-naphthol in micellar medium. Nucleus 2004;41:77â€“82.
10. Prabhulkar SG, Patil RM. 2-Hydroxy-1-naphthalidine salicylo hydrazone as an analytical reagent for extractive spectrophotometric determination of a biologically and industrially important metal Cobalt(II). Int J Chem Sci 2008;6:1480â€“5.
11. Patil SS, Sawant AD. Pyridine-2-acetaldehyde salicyloyl hydrazone as reagent for extractive and spectrophotometric determination of cobalt(II) at trace level. Indian J Chem Technol 2001;8:88â€“91.
12. Reddy SA, Reddy KJ, Narayana SL, Sarala Y, Reddy AV. Synthesis of new reagent 2,6-diacetylpyridine bis-4-phenyl-3-thiosemicarbazone (2,6-DAPBPTSC): Selective, sensitive and extractive spectrophotometric determination of Co(II) in vegetable, soil, pharmaceutical and alloy samples. J Chin Chem Soc 2008;55:326â€“34.
13. Qiufen Q, Yang G, Dong X, Yin J. Study on the solid phase extraction and spectrophotometric determination of cobalt with 2-(2-quinolylazo)-5-diethylaminoaniline. Turk J Chem 2004;28:611â€“9.
14. Kumar AP, Reddy PR, Reddy VK. Direct and derivative spectrophotometric determination of cobalt (II) in microgram quantities with 2-hydroxy-3-methoxy benzaldehyde thiosemicarbazone. J Korean Chem Soc 2007;51:331â€“8.
15. Kamble GS, Ghare AA, Kolekar SS, Han SH, Anuse MA. Development of an reliable analytical method for synergistic extractive spectrophotometric determination of cobalt(II) from alloys and nano composite samples by using chromogenic chelating ligand. Spectrochim Acta A 2011;84:117-24.
16. Hoshino M, Matsushita M, Samma M, Asano M, Yamaguchi T, Fujita Y. Spectrophotometric determination of cobalt(II) and cyanocobalamin with vanillilfluorone and its applications. Chem Pharm Bull 2011;59:721-4.
17. Li Z, Guanyu Y, Wang B, Jiang C, Yin G. Study of 2-(2-quinolinylazo)-5-dimethylaminobenzoic acid as a new chromogenic reagent for the spectrophotometric determination of cobalt. Anal Bioanal Chem 2002;374:1318-24.
18. Reddy BR, Radhika P, Kumar JR, Priya DN, Rajgopal K. Extractive spectrophotometric determination of Cobalt(II) in synthetic and pharmaceutical samples using Cyanex 923. Anal Sci 2004;20:345-9.
19. Eskandari H, Karkaragh GH. A facile spectrophotometric method for cobalt determination using alpha-benzilmonoxime in sodium dodecylsulfate micellar solutions. Anal Sci 2003;19:1549-52.
20. Reddy BR, Sarma PV. Extractive spectrophotometric determination of cobalt using Cyanex-272. Talanta 1994;41:1335-9.
21. Ahmed MJ, Uddin MN. A simple spectrophotometric method for the determination of cobalt in industrial, environmental, biological and soil samples using bis(salicylaldehyde)orthophenylenediamine. Chemosphere 2007;67:2020-7.
22. Jadhav SB, Tandel SP, Malve SP. Extraction and spectrophotometric determination of cobalt(II) with isonitroso-5-methyl-2-hexanone. Talanta 2001;55:1059-64.
23. Afkhami A, Bahram M. H-point standard addition method for simultaneous spectrophotometric determination of Co(II) and Ni(II) by 1-(2-pyridylazo)2-naphthol in micellar media. Spectrochim Acta A 2004;60:181-6.
24. Kumar KPG, Muthuselvi KR. Spectrophotometric method for the determination of cobalt with N,N '-Bis(2-aminobenzoyl) ethylenediamine. Mikrochim Acta 2001;137:25-8.
25. Teixeira LSG, Costa ACS, Assis JCR, Ferreira SLC, Korn M. Solid phase spectrophotometry for the determination of cobalt in pharmaceutical preparations. Mikrochim Acta 2001;137:29-33.
26. Amin AS. Study on the solid phase extraction andspectrophotometric determination of cobalt with 5-(2-benzothiazolylazo)-8-hydroxyquinolene. Arabian J Chem 2014;7:715â€“21.
27. Soylak M, Kaya B, Tuzen M. Copper(II)-8-hydroxquinoline coprecipitation system for pre concentration and separation of cobalt(II) and manganese(II) in real samples. J Hazard Mater 2007;147:832â€“7.
28. Saracoglu S, Soylak M. Carrier element-free coprecipitation (CEFC) method for separation and pre-concentration of some metal ions in natural water and soil samples. Food Chem Toxicol 2010;48:1328â€“33.
29. Jamali MR, Assadi Y, Shemirani F. Homogeneous liquidâ€“liquid extraction and determination of cobalt, copper and nickel in water samples by flame atomic absorption spectrometry. Sep Sci Technol 2007;42:3503-15.
30. Azizi P, Golshekan M, Shariati S, Rahchamani J. Solid phase extraction of Cu2+, Ni2+and Co2+ions by a new magnetic nano-composite: excellent reactivity combined with facile extraction and determination. Environ Monit Assess 2015;187:185-93.
31. Pacheco PH, Smichowski P, Polla G, Martinez LD. Solid phase extraction of Co ions using L-tyrosine immobilized on multiwall carbon nanotubes. Talanta 2009;79:249-53.
32. Karve M, Gholave JV. Solid-phase extraction and atomic absorption spectrometric determination of cobalt using an octadecyl bonded silica membrane disk modified with Cyanex 272. J AOAC Int 2011;94:627-33.
33. Pourjavid MR, Arabieh M, Yousefi SR, Jamali MR, Rezaee M, Hosseini MH, et al. Study on column SPE with synthesized graphene oxide and FAAS for determination of trace amount of Co(II) and Ni(II) ions in real samples. Mater Sci Eng C 2015;47:114-22.
34. Kagaya S, Cattrall RW, Kolev SD. Solid-phase extraction of cobalt(II) from lithium chloride solutions using a poly(vinyl chloride)-based polymer inclusion membrane with Aliquat 336 as the carrier. Anal Sci 2011;27:653-7.
35. Anastas PT. Green chemistry and the role of analytical methodology development. Crit Rev Anal Chem 1999;29:167â€“75.
36. Bezerra MA, Arruda Z, Ferreira SLC. Cloud point extraction as a procedure of separation and pre-concentration for metal determination using spectroanalytical techniques: a review. Appl Spectrosc Rev 2005;40:269-99.
37. Ojeda CB, Rojas FS. Separation and pre concentration by a cloud point extraction procedure for determination of metals: an overview. Anal Bioanal Chem 2009;394:759â€“82.
38. Ojeda CB, Rojas FS. Separation and pre concentration by cloud point extraction procedures for determination of ions: recent trends and applications. Microchim Acta 2012;177:1â€“21.
39. Nascentes CC, Arruda MAZ. Cloud point formation based on mixed micelles in the presence of electrolytes for cobalt extraction and pre concentration. Talanta 2003;61:759â€“68.
40. Bezerra MA, Nogueira ARA, Lemos SG, Ferreira SLC. Multivariate optimization of a procedure for Cr and Co ultratrace determination in vegetal samples using GF AAS after cloud-point extraction. Int J Environ Anal Chem 2008;88:131â€“40.
41. Borkowska-Burnecka J, Szymczycha-Madeja A, Zyrnicki W. Determination of toxic and other trace elements in calcium-rich materials using cloud point extraction and inductively coupled plasma emission spectrometry. J Hazard Mater 2010;182:477â€“83.
42. Manzoori JL, Karim-Nezhad G. Sensitive and simple cloud-point pre concentration atomic absorption spectrometry: Application to the determination of cobalt in urine samples. Anal Sci 2003;19:579â€“83.
43. Afkhami A, Bahram M. Cloud point extraction simultaneous spectrophotometric determination of Zn (II), Co (II) and Ni (II) in water and urine samples by 1-(2-pyridylazo) 2-naphthol using partial least squares regression. Microchim Acta 2006;155:403â€“8.
44. Shemirani F, Shokoufi N. Laser induced thermal lens spectrometry for cobalt determination after cloud point extraction. Anal Chim Acta 2006;577:238â€“43.
45. Shokoufi N, Shemirani F, Memarzadeh F. Fiber optic-linear array detection spectrophotometry in combination with cloud point extraction for simultaneous pre concentration and determination of cobalt and nickel. Anal Chim Acta 2007;601:204â€“11.
46. Chen J, Teo KC. Determination of cadmium, copper, lead and zinc in water samples by flame atomic absorption spectrometry after cloud point extraction. Anal Chim Acta 2001;450:215â€“22.
47. Lemos VA, Franca RS, Moreira BO. Cloud point extraction for Co and Ni determination in water samples by flame atomic absorption spectrometry. Sep Purif Technol 2007;54:349â€“54.
48. Yamaki RT, Nunes LS, de Oliveira HR, Araujo AS, Bezerra MA, Lemos VA. Synthesis and application of a new thiazolylazo reagent for cloud point extraction and determination of cobalt in pharmaceutical preparations. J AOAC Int 2011;94:1304â€“9.
49. Giokas DL, Paleologos EK, Tzouwara-Karayanni SM, Karayannis MI. Single-sample cloud point determination of iron, cobalt and nickel by flow injection analysis flame atomic absorption spectrometry-application to real samples and certified reference materials. J Anal At Spectrom 2001;16:521â€“6.
50. Citak D, Tuzen M. A novel pre concentration procedure using cloud point extraction for determination of lead, cobalt and copper in water and food samples using flame atomic absorption spectrometry. Food Chem Toxicol 2010;48:1399â€“404.
51. Farajzadeh MA, Fallahi MR. Simultaneous cloud-point extraction of nine cations from water samples and their determination by flame atomic absorption spectrometry. Anal Sci 2006;22:635â€“9.
52. Zhao L, Zhong S, Fang K, Qian Z, Chen J. Determination of cadmium(II), cobalt(II), nickel(II), lead(II), zinc(II), and copper(II) in water samples using dual-cloud point extraction and inductively coupled plasma emission spectrometry. J Hazard Mater 2012;239â€“240:206â€“12.
53. Kazi NTG, Shah F, Afridi HI, Khan S, Arian SS, Brahman KD. A green pre concentration method for determination of cobalt and lead in fresh surface and waste water samples prior to flame atomic absorption spectrometry. J Anal Methods Chem 2012. doi.org/10.1155/2012/713862. [Article in Press]
54. Kilinc E, Cetin A, Togrul M, Hosgoren H. Synthesis of bis(amino alcohol)oxalamides and their usage for the pre concentration of trace metals by cloud point extraction. Anal Sci 2008;24:763â€“8.
55. Shokrollahi A, Eslami S, Kianfar AH. Flame atomic absorption determination of Ni2+, Cu2+and Co2+ions in some water and food samples after cloud point extraction using a thio schiff-base as a new complexing agent. Chem Sci Trans 2012;1:217â€“25.
56. Yamini Y, Faraji M, Shariati S, Hassani R, Ghambarian M. On-line metals pre concentration and simultaneous determination using cloud point extraction and inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectrometry in water samples. Anal Chim Acta 2008;612:144â€“51.
57. Safavi A, Abdollahi H, Hormozi Nezhad MR, Kamali R. Cloud point extraction, pre concentration and simultaneous spectrophotometric determination of nickel and cobalt in water samples. Spectrochim Acta A 2004;60:2897â€“901.
58. Ulusoy HI, Gurkan R, Demir O, Ulusoy S. Micelle-mediated extraction and flame atomic absorption spectrometric method for determination of trace cobalt ions in beverage samples. Food Anal Methods 2012;5:454â€“63.
59. Xu H, Zhang W, Zhang X, Wang J, Wang J. Simultaneous pre concentration of cobalt, nickel and copper in water samples by cloud point extraction method and their determination by flame atomic absorption spectrometry. Procedia Environ Sci 2013;18:258â€“63.
60. Manzoori JL, Bavili-Tabrizi A. Cloud point pre concentration and flame atomic absorption spectrometric determination of cobalt and nickel in water samples. Microchim Acta 2003;141:201â€“7.
61. Ghaedi M, Shokrollahi A, Ahmadi F, Rajabi HR, Soylak M. Cloud point extraction for the determination of copper, nickel and cobalt ions in environmental samples by flame atomic absorption spectrometry. J Hazard Mater 2008;150:533â€“40.
62. Baghban N, Shabani AMH, Dadfarnia S, Jafari AA. Flame atomic absorption spectrometric determination of trace amounts of cobalt after cloud point extraction as 2-[(2-mercapto phenylimino) methyl]phenol complex. J Braz Chem Soc 2009;20:832â€“8.
63. Dallali N, Zahedi MM, Yamini Y. Simultaneous cloud point extraction and determination of Zn, Co, Ni and Pb by flame atomic absorption spectrometry, using 2-guanidinobenzimidazole as the complexing agent. Sci Iran 2007;14:291â€“6.
64. Shangzhi Wang, Shuangming Meng, Yong Guo. Cloud point extraction for the determination of trace amounts of cobalt in water and food samples by flame atomic absorption spectrometry. Int J Spectrosc 2013:1-7. doi.org/10.1155/2013/735702. [Article in Press]
65. Pytlakowska K, Kozik V, Dabioch M. Complex-forming organic ligands in cloud-point extraction of metal ions: A review. Talanta 2013;110:202â€“28.
66. Britton HTS. â€œHydrogen ionsâ€ 4th Ed. London: Chapman and Hall. 1952. p. 1168.
67. Amin AS. The surfactant-sensitized analytical reaction of niobium with some thiazolylazo compounds. Microchem J 2000;65:261â€“7.
68. Masoud MS, Mohamed GB, Abdul Razek YH, Ali AE, Khiry FN. Spectral, magnetic and thermal properties of some thiazolylazo complexes. J Korean Chem Soc 2002;46:99-116.
69. Al-Adely KJ. Preparation and spectral characterization of new thiazolylazo ligand with some transition metal complex. J Al Nahrain University 2008;11:31-45.