EVALUATION OF IMMUNOMODULATORY AND ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITIES OF POLYSACCHARIDES ISOLATED FROM CALLICARPA MACROPHYLLA VAHL.
Objective: To evaluate the immunomodulatory and antioxidant activities of polysaccharides from Callicarpa macrophylla Vahl. leaves.
Methods: Three different fractions of polysaccharides (PC, PH, PA) were isolated. The percentage of sugar in the extracted samples was checked by phenol-sulphuric acid method. Lymphocyte proliferation assay was done to evaluate its immunomodulatory activity. 1, 1-Diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) assay and total antioxidant assay was done to evaluate its antioxidant property.
Results: The total polysaccharide content in PC, PH and PA was found to be 88%, 14% and 87% by the phenol-sulphuric acid method. All the three polysaccharides showed in vitro growth stimulatory effect on isolated normal lymphocytes. The proliferative index of PC, PH, PA was found to be 1.28Â±0.03, 1.71Â±0.04 and 1.12Â±0.01 at a concentration of 500 Î¼g/ml indiÂcating immunomodulatory activity. PC, PH, PA showed a % inhibition of DPPH radical at 40.11Â±0.005 %, 29.18Â±0.01 % and 16.82Â±0.007 %. A dose-dependent activity was shown for the DPPH assay. Total antioxidant activity was found to be higher in PA. Both PC and PH showed almost equal antioxidant activity.
Conclusion: The results of the present study indicates that polysaccharides from Callicarpa macrophylla Vahl. boosts the immune system and help overcome the negative effects of oxidative stress, thus, contributing to the development of new drugs.
2. Zakaria Boual, Abdellah Kemassi, Aminata Ould El, Hadj Khelil, Philippe Michaud, Mohammed Didi, et al. Partial characterization of water soluble polysaccharides extracted from one saharian medicinal plant: Malva aegyptiaca L. Proceedings ICBEC 2011;24:420-4.
3. Vincent E, Ooi C, Fang Liu. Immunomodulation and anti-cancer activity of polysaccharide-protein complexes. Curr Med Chem 2000;7:715-29.
4. Tzianabos AO. Polysaccharide immunomodulators as therapeutic agents: structural aspects and biologic function. Clin Microbiol Rev 2000;13 Suppl 4:523-33.
5. Nagarathna PKM, Reena K, Sriram Reddy, Johnson Wesley. Review on Immunomodulation and Immunomodulatory activity of some herbal plants. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2013;22 Suppl 1:223-30.
6. Aaram A Kumar, Vikram Singh, Meena Subhasis, Chattopadhyay, Kishore CS Panigrahi. Novel immunomodulatory effect of Gracilaria verrucosa and Potamogeton pectinatus extracts on in vitro activation of T cells. Int J Life Sci Pharm Res 2012;2 Suppl 3:233-9.
7. Virendera Yadav, Soma Jayalakshmi, Rajeev K Singlab, Arjun Patra. Preliminary assessment of anti-inflammatory activity of Callicarpa macrophylla Vahl. Leaves extracts. Indo-Global J Pharm Sci 2011;1 Suppl 3:219-22.
8. Government of India. The Ayurvvedic Pharmacopeia of India. The Controller of Publications civil lines. Vol 4. 1st ed. New Delhi; 2004. p. 97-8.
9. Vinay Kumar Verma, Siddiqui NU, Mohammad Aslam. Isolation of 3Î², 16Î±, 17-trihydroxyphyllocladane from leaves of Callicarpa macrophylla Vahl. Natr Prod Med Preliminary 2011;3 Suppl 5:1-3.
10. Virendra Yadav, Soma Jayalakshmi, Rajeev K Singla, Arjun Patra, Salim Khan. Assessment of anti-inflammatory and analgesic activities of Callicarpa macrophylla Vahl. roots extract. Webmed Central Pharmacol 2012:3 Suppl 5:1-7.
11. William P, Jonesand A, Douglas Kinghorn. Biologically active natural products of the genus Callicarpa. Curr Bioact Compd 2008;4 Suppl 1:15â€“32.
12. Rajesh Kumar Soni, Vihangesh Dixit, Raghuveer Irchhaiya, Shashi Alok. Callicarpa macrophylla: a review update on its botany, ethnobotany, Phytochemistry and Pharmacology. IJP 2014;1:87-94.
13. TPA Devasagayam, JC Tilak, KK Boloor, Ketaki S Sane, Saroj S Ghaskadbi, RD Lele. Free radicals and antioxidants in human health: current status and future prospects. JAPI 2004;52:794-803.
14. Parakashtha Ghildyal, Tom Erik Gronhaug, Anders Rusten, Mona, Skogsrud, Bent Rolstad, et al. Chemical composition and immunological activities of polysaccharides isolated from the malian medicinal plant Syzygium guineense. J Pharmacogn Phytother 2010;2 Suppl 6:76-85.
15. Anjoo Kamboj, Pooja Atri, Ajay Kumar Saluja, Upendra K Jain. Spectrophotometric estimation of total polysaccharides in Xanthium strumarium. IJPIâ€™s J Anal Chem 2012;2:29-31.
16. Dubois M, Gilles KA, Hamilton JK, Rebers PA, Smith F. Colorimetric method for determination of sugars and related substances. Anal Chem 1956;28:350-6.
17. Manu M Joseph, Aravind SR, Sheeja Varghese, Mini S, Sreelekha TT. Evaluation of antioxidant, antitumor and immunomodulatory properties of polysaccharide isolated from fruit rind of Punica granatum. Mol Med Rep 2012;5:489-96.
18. Prieto P, Pineda M, Aguilar M. Spectrophotometric quantitation of antioxidant capacity through formation of a phosphomolybdenum complex: specific application to the determination of vitamin E. Anal Biochem 1999;269:337â€“41.
19. Villano D, Fernandez Pachon MS, Troncoso AM, Garcia Parrilla MC. Comparison of antioxidant activity of wine phenolic compounds and metabolites in vitro. Anal Chim Acta 2005;38:391-8.
20. Prance GT. Floristic inventory of the tropics; where do we stand? Ann Mo Bot Gard 1977;64:659-84.
21. Harshal A Pawar, Priscilla MDâ€™Mello. Spectrophotometric estimation of total polysaccharides in Cassia tora gum. J Appl Pharm Sci 2011;1 Suppl 3:93-5.
22. Xiaojuan He, Xuyan Niu, Jian Li, Shaohua Xu, Aiping L. Immunomodulatory activities of five clinically used Chinese herbal polysaccharides. J Exp Integr Med 2012;2 Suppl 1:15-27.
23. C KWong, KN Leung, KP Fungand, YM Choy. Immunomodulatory and anti-tumour polysaccharides from medicinal plants. J Int Med Res 1994;22:219-32.
24. Peiyuan Li, Lini Huoi, Wei Su, Rumei Lu, Chaocheng Deng, Liangquan Liu, et al. Free radical scavenging capacity, antioxidant activity and phenolic content of Pouzolziazeylanica. J Serb Chem Soc 2011;76 Suppl 5:709-17.
25. Jayachitra, N Krithiga. Study on antioxidant property in selected medicinal plant extracts. Int J Med Aromat Plants 2012;2:495-500.