EICHHORNIA MEDIATED COPPER OXIDE NANOPARTICLES: IN VITRO ANALYSIS OF ANTIMICROBIAL ACTIVITY
Objective: The present investigation determines the biological synthesis and characterization of Copper oxide nanoparticles from aqueous extract of Eichhornia crassipes and assessing its effects on antimicrobial activity against the pathogens.
Methods: In this method Eichhornia mediated copper oxide nanoparticles were synthesized and characterized by FT-IR, FESEM and EDX and also antimicrobial activity was determined using the well diffusion method.
Results: The antimicrobial activity of Eichhornia mediated copper oxide nanoparticles was tested against selective pathogens and maximum zone of inhibition was observed in S. aureus and A. ï¬‚avus at 100 Âµg/ml concentration.
Conclusion: The green synthesized copper oxide nanoparticles have antimicrobial activity against selective microorganisms and it can be effectively used as a good antimicrobial agent.
2. Berry AD, Gaskill KD, Holm RT, Cukauskas EJ, Kaplan R, Henry RL. Formation of high T superconducting films by organometallic chemical vapor deposition. Appl Phys Lett 1988;52:1743â€“5.
3. Malandrino G, Condorelli GG, Lanza G, Fragala IL. Growth of epitaxial TlBaCaCuO a-axis oriented films on LaAlO3 buffer layers grown on SrTiO3 substrates. J Alloys Compd 1997;251:314â€“7.
4. Malandrino G, Condorelli GG, Lanza G, Fragala IL, Uccio US, Valentino M. Effect of Ba---Ca---Cu precursor matrix on the formation and properties of superconducting Tl2Ba2Can-1CunOx films a combined metalorganic chemical vapour deposition and thallium vapour diffusion approach. J Alloys Compd 1997;251:332â€“6.
5. Ishihara T, Higuchi M, Takagi T, Ito M, Nishiguchi H, Takita T. Preparation of CuO thin films on porous BaTiO3 by self-assembled multibilayer film formation and application as a CO2 sensor. J Mater Chem 1998;8:2037â€“42.
6. Ishihara T, Kometani K, Hashida M, Takita Y. Application of mixed oxide capacitor to the selective carbon di oxide sensor. J Electrochem Soc 199;138:173â€“6.
7. Tamaki J, Shimanoe K, Yamada Y, Yamamoto Y, Miura N, Yamazoe N. Dilute hydrogen sulfide sensing properties of CuO-SnO2 thin film prepared by low-pressure evaporation method. Sens Actuators B 1998;49:121â€“5.
8. Zhou K, Wang R, Xu B, Li Y. Synthesis, characterization and catalytic properties of CuO nanocrystals with various shapes. Nanotechnol 2006;17:3939â€“40.
9. Ko J, Kim S, Hong J, Ryu J, Kang K, Park C. Synthesis of graphene-wrapped CuO hybrid materials by CO2 mineralization. Green Chem 2012;14:2391â€“3.
10. Das D, Nath B, Phukon P, Dolui S. Synthesis and evaluation of antioxidant and antibacterial behavior of CuO nanoparticles. Colloids Surf B 2012;101:430â€“3.
11. Azam A, Ahmed AS, Oves M, Khan MS, Memic A. Antimicrobial activity of metal oxide nanoparticles against Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria: a comparative study. Int J Nanomed 2012;7:3527â€“35.
12. Parashar V, Parashar R, Sharma AC, Pandey AC. Parthenium leaf extract mediated synthesis of silver nanoparticles: a novel approach towards weed utilization. Digest J Nanomater Biostruc 2009;4:45â€“50.
13. Rajeshwari Sivaraj, Pattanathu Rahman KSM, Rajiv P, Hasna Abdul Salam, Venckatesh R. Biogenic copper oxide nanoparticles synthesis using Tabernaemontana divaricate leaf extract and its antibacterial activity against urinary tract pathogen. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2014;133:178â€“81.
14. Rajeshwari Sivaraj, Pattanathu KSM Rahman, Rajiv P, Narendhran S, Venckatesh R. Biosynthesis and characterization of Acalypha indica mediated copper oxide nanoparticles and evaluation of its antimicrobial and anticancer activity. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2014;129:255â€“8.
15. Vanathi P, Rajiv P, Narendhran S, Sivaraj Rajeshwari, Pattanathu KSM Rahman, Rajendran Venckatesh. Biosynthesis and characterization of phyto mediated zinc oxide nanoparticles: a green chemistry approach. Mater Lett 2014;134:13â€“5.
16. Bauer AW, Kirby WM, Sherris JC, Turck M. Antibiotic susceptibility testing by a standardized single disk method. Am J Clin Pathol 1966;45:493â€“6.
17. Huang J, Li Q, Sun D, Lu Y, Su Y, Yang X, et al. Biosynthesis of silver and gold nanoparticles by novel sundried Cinnamomum camphora leaf. Nanotechnol 2007;18:105104â€“15.
18. Tas AC, Majewski PJ, Aldinger F. Chemical preparation of pure and strontiumand/or magnesium-doped lanthanum gallate powders. J Am Ceram Soc 2000;83:2954â€“60.
19. Asharf Shah M, Al-Ghamdi MS. Preparation of copper (Cu) and copper oxide (Cu2O) nanoparticles under supercritical conditions. Mater Sci Appl 2011;2:977-80.
20. Rajiv P, Rajeshwari S, Venckatesh R. Bio-Fabrication of zinc oxide nanoparticles using leaf extract of Parthenium hysterophorus L. and its size-dependent antifungal activity against plant fungal pathogens. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2013;112:384â€“7.
21. Jayaseelan C, Abdul Rahuman A, Vishnu Kirthi A, Marimuthu S, T Santhoshkumar, Bagavan A, et al. Novel microbial route to synthesize ZnO nanoparticles using Aeromonas hydrophila and their activity against pathogenic bacteria and fungi. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2012;90:78â€“84.