BRIGHT ASTEROIDS IN THE RED SEA - AN EMERGING PATHOGEN CANDIDA HAEMOLUNII: ARE AZOLES THE TREATMENT OPTION?
This is a case study of a 15-year-old female who on chemotherapy and central line catheter-related bloodstream candidemia presented with recurrent
episodes of candidemia, was febrile and breathless. She was diagnosed of Candida haemulonii fungemia. Echinocandins was started as this species of
Candida is usually resistant to the commonly used antifungal agents. On treatment, the patient was afebrile and discharged.
Keywords: Candida haemulonii, Candidemia, Case report, Emerging pathogen
2. Rodero L, Cuenca-Estrella M, CÃ³rdoba S, Cahn P, Davel G, Kaufman S, et al. Transient fungemia caused by an amphotericin B-resistant isolate of Candida haemulonii. J Clin Microbiol 2002;40(6):2266-9.
3. Matar MJ, Ostrosky-Zeichner L, Paetznick VL, Rodriguez JR, Chen E, Rex JH. Correlation between E-test, disk diffusion, and microdilution methods for antifungal susceptibility testing of fluconazole and voriconazole. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2003;47(5):1647-51.
4. Pfaller MA, Boyken L, Messer SA, Tendolkar S, Hollis RJ, Diekema DJ.
Comparison of results of voriconazole disk diffusion testing for Candida species with results from a central reference laboratory in the ARTEMIS global antifungal surveillance program. J Clin Microbiol
5. Khan ZU, Al-Sweih NA, Ahmad S, Al-Kazemi N, Khan S, Joseph L, et al. Outbreak of fungemia among neonates caused by Candida haemulonii resistant to amphotericin B, itraconazole, and fluconazole. J Clin Microbiol 2007;45(6):2025-7.
6. Ruan SY, Kuo YW, Huang CT, Hsiue HC, Hsueh PR. Infections due to Candida haemulonii: Species identification, antifungal susceptibility and outcomes. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2010;35(1):85-8.
7. Muro MD, Motta Fde A, Burger M, Melo AS, Dalla-Costa LM.
Echinocandin resistance in two Candida haemulonii isolates from pediatric patients. J Clin Microbiol 2012;50(11):3783-5.
8. Hong SK, Nam SH, Kim HC. Fatal peripheral candidal suppurative thrombophlebitis in a postoperative patient. J Korean Med Sci
9. Han SS, Yim JJ, Yoo CG, Kim YW, Han SK, Shim YS, et al. Clinical characteristics and risk factors for nosocomial candidemia in medical intensive care units: Experience in a single hospital in Korea for
6.6 years. J Korean Med Sci 2010;25(5):671-6.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.