EVALUATION OF PHYTOCHEMICAL CONSTITUENTS AND ANTIMICROBIAL ACTIVITY OF SILVER NANOPARTICLE SYNTHESIZED IPOMOEA NIL AGAINST SELECTED PATHOGENS
Objective: The objective of this study is to investigate a simple and feasible approach for the production of silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) by using leaf
extract of Ipmoea nil and to evaluate its antibacterial activity.
Methods: The AgNPs synthesized was characterized by a change in color and the absorption peaks by ultraviolet-visible spectroscopy. The phyto
compounds responsible for the reduction and capping of silver ions was known from Fourier transform infrared spectra and phytochemical analysis.
The antibacterial effects of prepared aqueous AgNPs were detected against five types of pathogenic bacteria, including Gram-negative and Grampositive
bacteria (Escherichia coli, Salmonella, Bacillius, Proteus, and Klebsilla pneumonia) using agar well diffusion method.
Results: A peak absorption value between 400 and 450 nm and the color change of the extract from yellowish to red wine were corresponds to
the plasmon absorbance of AgNPs. On the other hand, aqueous extract of I. nil mediated AgNPs found to be effective against tested microorganisms
(Salmonella, Bacillus, and Proteus) with inhibition zone in the range of 10-13 mm (20 Î¼l and 10 Î¼l) except E. coli and K. pneumonia. Furthermore,
aqueous extract of I. nil leaves had no ability to suppress the growth of the tested microorganisms in the concentration of 10 Î¼l. The control also
produced similar inhibition zones like AgNPs.
Conclusions: Our findings indicated that green synthesized AgNPs mediated by I. nil leaf extract had an efficient anti-bactericidal activity against the
bacterial species tested. Hence, further studies are needed to highlight its mechanism and application as an antibacterial agent.
Keywords: Ipomoea nil, Silver nanoparticles, Antibacterial activity, Bacteria.
1. Mohanpuria PN, Yadav SK. Biosynthesis of nanoparticle, technological concepts and future applications. J Nanopart Res 2007;7:9275.
2. Farooqui MA, Chauhan PS, Krishnamoorthy P, Shaik J. Extraction of silver nano-particles from the leaf extracts of Clerodendrum inerme. Dig J Nanomater Biostruct 2010;5:43-9.
3. Jain PK, Huang XH, El-Sayed IH, El-Sayed MA. Noble metals on the nanoscale: Optical and photothermal properties and some applications in imaging, sensing, biology, and medicine. Acc Chem Res 2008;41:1578-86.
4. Ahamed M, Alsalhi MS, Siddiqui MK. Silver nanoparticle applications and human health. Clin Chim Acta 2010;411(23-24):1841-8.
5. Marambio-Jones C, Hoek EM. A review of the antibacterial effects of silver nanomaterials and potential implications for human health and the environment. J Nanopart Res 2010;12(5):1531-51.
6. Rai M, Kon K, Ingle A, Duran N, Galdiero S, Galdiero M. Broad-spectrum bioactivities of silver nanoparticles: The emerging trends and future prospects. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 2014;98(5):1951-61.
7. Sharma VK, Yngard RA, Lin Y. Silver nanoparticles: Green synthesis and their antimicrobial activities. Adv Colloid Interface Sci 2009;145(1-2):83-96.
8. Tolaymat TM, El Badawy AM, Genaidy A, Scheckel KG, Luxton TP, Suidan M. An evidence-based environmental perspective of manufactured silver nanoparticle in syntheses and applications: A systematic review and critical appraisal of peer-reviewed scientific papers. Sci Total Environ 2010;408:999-1006.
9. Guzman MG, Dille J, Godet S. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles by chemical reduction method and their antibacterial activity. Int J Chem Biol Eng 2009;2:10411.
10. Navaladian S, Viswanathan B, Viswanath R, Varadarajan T. Thermal decomposition as route for silver nanoparticles. Nanoscale Res Lett 2006;2:44-8.
11. Sreeram KJ, Nidhin M, Nair BU. Microwave assisted template synthesis of silver nanoparticles. Bull Mater Sci 2008;31:937-42.
12. Zamiri R, Zakaria A, Abbastabar H, Darroudi M, Husin MS, Mahdi MA. Laser-fabricated castor oil-capped silver nanoparticle. Int J Nanomed 2011;6:565-8.
13. Sastry M, Ahmad A, Khan MI, Kumar R. Biosynthesis of metal nanoparticles using fungi and actinomycete. Curr Sci 2003;85:162-70.
14. Rani PU, Rajasekharreddy P. Green synthesis of silver-protein (coreâ€“shell) nanoparticles using Piper betle L. leaf extract and its ecotoxicological studies on Daphnia magna. Colloids Surf A 2011;389:188-94.
15. Pal D, Sahu CK, Haldar A. Bhasma: The ancient Indian nanomedicine. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2014;5:4-12.
16. Chaudhary A. Ayurvedic bhasma: Nanomedicine of ancient India â€“ its global contemporary perspective. J Biomed Nanotechnol 2011;7:68-9.
17. Sanjoy KP. The Ayurvedic Bhasma: The ancient science of nanomedicine. Rec Pat Nanomed 2015;5:12-8.
18. Panda H. Handbook on Ayurvedic Medicines with Formulae, Processes and Their Uses. India: National Institute of Industrial Research; 2004. p. 10.
19. Jha AK, Prasad K, Prasad K, Kulkarni AR. Plant system: Natureâ€™s nanofactory. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 2009;73:219-23.
20. Raut RW, Lakkakula JR, Kolekar NS, Mendhulkar VD, Kashid SB.
Fig. 4: Antibacterial activity
Asian J Pharm Clin Res, Vol 10, Issue 3, 2017, 183-187
Asha et al.
Phytosynthesis of silver nanoparticle using Gliricidia sepium (Jacq.). Curr Nanosci 2009;5:117-22.
21. Dubey M, Lahtinen M, SillanpÃ¤Ã¤ M. Green synthesis and characterization of silver and gold nanoparticles using leaf extract of Rosa rugose. Colloids Surf A Physiochem Eng Asp 2010;364(1-3):34-41.
22. Jha AK, Prasad K. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Cycas leaf. I J Green Nanotechnol Phys Chem 2010;1(2):110-7.
23. Krishnaraj C, Jagan EG, Rajasekar S, Selvakumar P, Kalaichelvan PT, Mohan N. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Acalypha indica leaf extracts and its antibacterial activity against water borne pathogens. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 2010;76:50-6.
24. Veerasamy R, Xin TZ, Gunasagaran S, Xiang TF, Yang EF, Jeyakumar N, et al. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using mangosteen leaf extract and evaluation of their antimicrobial activities. J Saudi Chem Soc 2011;15:113-20.
25. Roopan SM, Madhumitha GR, Rahuman AA, Kamaraj C, Bharathi A, Surendra TV. Low-cost and eco-friendly phyto-synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Cocos nucifera coir extract and its larvicidal activity. Ind Crops Prod 2012;43:631-5.
26. Shankar SS, Rai A, Ahmad A, Sastry M. Rapid synthesis of Au, Ag, and bimetallic Au core-Ag shell nanoparticles using Neem (Azadirachta indica) leaf broth. J Colloid Interface Sci 2004;275:496-502.
27. Li S, Shen Y, Xie A, Yu X, Qiu L, Zhang L, et al. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Capsicum annuum. Green Chem 2007;9:852-8.
28. Banala RR, Nagati VB, Karnati PR. Green synthesis and characterization of Carica papaya leaf extract coated silver nanoparticles through X-ray diffraction, electron microscopy and evaluation of bactericidal properties. Saudi J Biol Sci 2015;22(5):637-44.
29. Dubey M, Bhadauria S, Kushwah BS. Green synthesis of nanosilver particles from extract of Eucalyptus hybrida (Safeda) leaf. Dig J Nanomater Biostruct 2009;4:537-43.
30. Mittal J, Batra A, Singh A, Sharma MM. Phytofabrication of nanoparticles through plant as nanofactories. Adv Nat Sci Nanosci Nanotechnol 2014;5(4):1-4.
31. Pandey S, Mewada A, Thakur M, Shah R, Oza G, Sharon M. Biogenic gold nanoparticles as fotillas to fire berberine hydrochloride using folic acid as molecular road map. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl 2013;33:3716-22.
32. Sathyavathi1 R, Krishna MB, Rao SV, Saritha R, Rao DN. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using Coriandrum sativum leaf extract and their application in nonlinear optics. Adv Sci Lett 2010;3:1-6.
33. Gardea-Torresdey JL, Gomez E, Peralta-Videa JR, Parsons JG, Troiani HY. Process variables in biomimetic synthesis of silver nanoparticles by aqueous extract of Azadirachta indica (Neem) leaves. M J Langmuir 2003;19:237-46.
34. Umashankari J, Inbakandan D, Ajithkumar TT, Balasubramanian T. Mangrove plant, Rhizophora mucronata (Lamk, 1804) mediated one pot green synthesis of silver nanoparticles and its antibacterial activity against aquatic pathogens. Aquat Biosyst 2012;8(1):11.
35. Bhattacharya D, Gupta RK. Nanotechnology and potential of microorganisms. Crit Rev Biotechnol 2005;25:199-204.
36. Vankar PS, Bajpai D. Preparation of gold nanoparticles from Mirabilis jalapa flowers. Indian J Biochem Biophys 2010;47:157-60.
37. Shrivastava S, Dash D. Agrifood nanotechnology: A living revolution in food and agriculture. J Nanotechnol 2009;12:240-3.
38. Song JY, Kim BS. Rapid biological synthesis of silver nanoparticles using plant leaf extracts. Bioprocess Biosyst Eng 2009;32:79-84.
39. Mandal S, Rautaray D, Sastry M. Ag+â€“Keggin ion colloidal particles as novel templates for the growth of silver nanoparticle assemblies. J Mater Chem 2003;13:3002-5.
40. Nandagopal S, Ganesh Kumar A, Dhanalakshmi DP, Prakash P. Bio-prospecting the antibacterial and anticancer activities of silver nanoparticles synthesized using Terminalia chebula seed extract. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6(2):368-73.
41. Donda MR, Kudle KR, Alwala J, Miryala A, Sreedhar B, Rudra MP. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles using extracts of Securinega leucopyrus and evaluation of its antibacterial activity. Int J Curr Sci 2013;7:E1-8.
42. Sharma S, Kumar S, Bulchandani BD, Taneja S, Banyal S. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles and their antimicrobial activity against Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria. Int J Biotechnol Bioeng Res 2013;4:711-4.
43. Sulaiman GM, Mohammed WH, Marzoog TR, Al-Amiery AA, Kadhum AA, Mohamad AB. Green synthesis, antimicrobial and cytotoxic effects of silver nanoparticles using Eucalyptus chapmaniana leaves extract. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2013;3:58-63.
44. Okafor F, Janen A, Kukhtareva T, Edwards V, Curley M. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles, their characterization, application and antibacterial activity. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2013;10:5221-38.
45. Karou D, Savadogo A, Canini A, Yameogo S, Montesano C, Simpore J, et al. Antibacterial activity of alkaloids from Sidaacuta. Afr J Biotechnol 2005;4(12):1452-7.
46. Ouda SM. Some nanoparticles effects on Proteus sp. and Klebsiella sp. isolated from water. Am J Infect Dis Microbiol 2014;2(1):4-10.
47. El-Rahman AF, Mohammad TG. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticle using Eucalyptus globulus leaf extract and its antibacterial activity. J Appl Sci Res 2013;9:6437-40.
48. Matsumura Y, Yoshikata K, Kunisaki S, Tsuchido T. Mode of bactericidal action of silver zeolite and its comparison with that of silver nitrate. Appl Environ Microbiol 2003;69:4278-81.
49. Gogoi SK, Gopinath P, Paul A, Ramesh A, Ghosh SS, Chattopadhyay A. Green fluorescent protein-expressing Escherichia coli as a model system for investigating the antimicrobial activities of silver nanoparticles. Langmuir 2006;22:9322-8.
50. Kim SH, Lee HS, Ryu DS, Choi SJ, Lee DS. Antibacterial activity of silver nanoparticles against Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli. Korean J Microbiol Biotechnol 2011;39(1):77-85.
51. Ravishankar RV, Jamuna BA. Nanoparticles and their potential application as antimicrobials. In: MÃ©ndez-Vilas A, editor. Science against Microbial Pathogens: Communicating Current Research and Technological Advances. Spain: Formatex Research Center; 2011.
52. Stern JL, Hagerman AE, Steinberg PD, Mason PK. Phlorotannin-protein interactions. J Chem Ecol 1996;22:1877-99.
53. Ayepola OO, Adeniyi BA. The antibacterial activity of leaf extracts of Eucalyptus camaldulensis (Myrtaceae). J Appl Sci Res 2008;4(11):1410-3.
54. Ogundiya MO, Kolapo AL, Okunade MB, Adejumobi J. Evaluation of phytochemical composition and antimicrobial activity of Terminalia glaucescens against some oral pathogens. Adv Nat Appl Sci 2008;2(2):89-93.
55. Hazarika D, Phukan A, Saikia E, Chetia B. Phytochemical screening and synthesis of silver nanoparticles using leaf extract of Rhynchote chum ellipticum. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6(1):672-4.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.