IN VITRO IMMUNOSTIMULATION ACTIVITY OF NIGELLA SATIVA LINN. AND PSORALEA CORYLIFOLIA LINN. SEEDS USING A MURINE MACROPHAGE CELL LINE
Objective: The aim of this study is to analyze the phytochemical constituents and the in vitro immunomodulatory potential of ethanol extract of
Nigella sativa and Psoralea corylifolia seeds.
Methods: Phytoconstituents in the ethanol extract of N. sativa and P. corylifolia seeds were analyzed using gas chromatography and mass spectrum
and their immunomodulatory activity was investigated in vitro by cell proliferation assay with J774A.1 cell line.
Results: Thirteen biochemical constituents have been identified with ethanol extract of N. sativa and nine from the P. corylifolia. The maximum relative
activity of 138.77Â±0.44% cell proliferation was expressed at 25 Î¼g/ml by N. sativa and 80.70Â±0.42% of proliferation by P. corylifolia at 25 Î¼g/ml.
Conclusion: The results suggest that the ethanol extract of the plant seeds have stimulating activity on macrophage cells and could be useful for
modulating immune functions.
Keywords: Immunomodulatory, Cell proliferation, Macrophage cell line, Nigella sativa, Psoralea corylifolia.
1. Patil VV, Bhangale CS, Patil RV. Studies on immunomodulatory activity of Ficus carica. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2010;2(4):97-9.
2. Chitra V, Janaki PS, Raju D, Rao PV. Evaluation of immunomodulatory activity of ethanolic extract of leaves of Glycosmis pentaphylla in Swiss albino mice. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5(4):110-3.
3. Bhadoriya SS, Mangal A, Mandoriya N. Immunomodulatory effect of M. tricuspidatum. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2012;4(2):33-6.
4. Biswas K, Chattopadhyay I, Banerjee RK, Bandyopadhyay U. Biological activities and medicinal properties of neem (Azadirachta indica). Curr Sci 2002;82(11):1136-345.
5. Salem ML. Immunomodulatory and therapeutic properties of the Nigella sativa L. seed. Int Immunopharmacol 2005;5(13-14):1749-70.
6. Burits M, Bucar F. Antioxidant activity of Nigella sativa essential oil. Phytother Res 2000;14(5):323-8.
7. Morsi NM. Antimicrobial effect of crude extracts of Nigella sativa on multiple antibiotics-resistant bacteria. Acta Microbiol Pol 2000;49(1):63-74.
8. Worthen DR, Ghosheh OA, Crooks PA. The in vitro anti-tumor activity of some crude and purified components of blackseed, Nigella sativa L. Anticancer Res 1998;18(3A):1527-32.
9. Salem ML, Hossain MS. In vivo acute depletion of CD 8 (+) T cells before murine cytomegalovirus infection upregulated innate antiviral activity of natural killer cells. Int J Immunopharmacol 2000;22(9):707-18.
10. Siddhinandan M. Khadirarishta-Kushtharogadhikar. 54th ed. Varanasi: Bhiashajya Ratnavali Chaukhambha Publication; 2009. p. 353-8.
11. Latha PG, Panikkar KR. Inhibition of chemical carcinogenesis by Psoralea corylifolia seeds. J Ethnopharmacol 1999;68(1-3):295-8.
12. Chanda S, Kaneria M, Nair R. Antibacterial activity of Psoralea corylifolia Linn. Seed and aerial parts with various extraction methods. Res J Microbiol 2011;6(2):124-31.
13. Ozcan M. Inhibitory effects of spice extracts on the growth of Aspergillus parasiticus NRRL2999 strain. Z Lebensm Unters Forsch A 1998;2079(3):253-5.
14. Musso T, Badolato R, Ravarino D, Stornello S, Panzanelli O, Merlino C, et al. Interaction of Bartonella henselae with the murine macrophage cell line J774: Infection and proinflammatory response. Infect Immun 2001;69(10):5974-80.
15. Goel A. Immumological Studies on Fileriaris, Ph.D. Thesis. Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India: Central Drug Research Institute, (CDRI); 1991.
16. Snedecor GW, Cochran WG. Statistical Methods. 7th ed. Ames, Iowa, USA: The Iowa State University; 1981.
17. Merlin NJ, Parthasarathy V, Manavalan R, Kumaravel S. Chemical investigation of aerial parts of Gmelina asiatica Linn. by GC-MS. Pharmacogn Res 2009;1(3):152-6.
18. Anand D, Wyson WJ, Saravanan P, Rajarajan S. Phytochemical analysis of leaf extract of Eclipta alba (L.) Hassk by GC-MS method. IJPPR 2014;6(3):562-6.
19. Arokiyaraj S, Perinbam K, Agastian P, Balaraju K. Immunosuppressive effect of medicinal plants of Kolli Hills on mitogen-stimulated proliferation of the human peripheral blood mononuclear cells in vitro. Indian J Pharmacol 2007;39(4):180-3.
20. Sriwanthana B, Treesangsri W, Boriboontrakul B, Niumsakul S, Chavalittumrong P. In vitro effects of Thai medicinal plants on human lymphocyte activity. Songklanakarin J Sci Technol 2007;29(1):17-28.
21. De Paula ML, Braga FG, Coimbra ES, Carmo AM, Teixeira HC, Da Silva AD, et al. Modulatory effects of 6-carboxymethylthiopurine on activated murine macrophages. Chem Biol Drug Des 2008;71(6):563-7.
22. Hwang PA, Chwen-Herng WU, Gau SY, Chien SY, Hwang DF. Antioxidant and immune-stimulating activities of hot-water extract from Seaweed Sargassum hemiphyllum. JMST 2010;18(1):41-6.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.