ANTIHEPATITIS C VIRUS ACTIVITY OF INDONESIAN MAHOGANY (TOONA SURENI)
Â Objective: Toona sureni (Indonesian mahogany) is a member of Meliaceae family and locally known as suren. Previous study reported that T. sureni leaves extract exhibited antiviral activity with 50% inhibitory concentration (IC50) value of 13.9 Â± 1.6 Î¼g/ml against hepatitis C virus (HCV) J6/JFH1. Cytotoxicity analysis of T. sureni leaves extract did not reveal any cytotoxicity effect; therefore, further study was taken to investigate the active substances from the extract.
Methods: Bioassay-guided isolation of anti-HCV was conducted using Huh-7.5 cells infected with HCV J6/JFH1 in the presence of extracts, fractions, or compounds from the plant.
Results: Ethyl acetate fraction (Fr E) exhibited high anti-HCV activity with IC50 value of 1.7 Î¼g/ml. Further, separation of Fr E by open column chromatography resulted in nine sub-fractions (sub-Fr E1-E9). Sub-Fr E3 and E4 have IC50 value of 29.90 Î¼g/ml and 7.68 Î¼g/ml, respectively. Polyphenols compounds have been isolated from sub-Fr E3 and E4. The structures have been determined to be ethyl gallate (1), methyl gallate (2), catechin (3), gallic acid (4), and quercetin 3-O-rhamnoside (5). Among the isolated compounds, gallic acid showed to possess strong anti-HCV activity with IC50 value of 15.9 Î¼g/ml.
Conclusion: T. sureni and its isolated compound, gallic acid, may be good candidates to develop for alternative and/or complementary agents of anti-HCV infection.
2. Holtzman D. Infectious Disease Related to Travel; 2015. Available from: http://www.nc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2014/chapter3infectiousdiseaserelatedtotravel/hepatitisC.
3. Rupp D, Bartenschlager R. Targets for antiviral therapy of hepatitis C. Semin Liver Dis 2014;34:9-21.
4. Moradpour D, Penin F, Rice CM. Replication of hepatitis C virus. Nat Rev Microbiol 2007;5:453-63.
5. Lange CM, Jacobson IM, Rice CM, Zeuzem S. Emerging therapies for the treatment of hepatitis C. EMBO Mol Med 2014;6:4-15.
6. Wahyuni TS, Aoki C, Hotta H. Promising anti-virus hepatitis C compounds from natural resources. Nat Prod Commun 2016;11:1193-200.
7. Polamreddy P, Vishwakarma V, Gundla R. A review on anti-HCV agents targetting active site and allosteric sites of non-structural protein 5B (NS5B). Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:1-18.
8. Kumar SR, Kumar D, Kashyap D, Rana M. A mini review on the phytochemistry and pharmacological activities of the plant Toona ciliata (Meliaceae). Int J Pharm Res 2012;1:62-72.
9. Wahyuni TS, Tumewu L, Permanasari AA, Apriani E, Adianti M, Rahman A, et al. Antiviral activities of Indonesian medicinal plants in the East Java region against hepatitis C virus. Virol J 2013;10:259.
10. Ratnoglik SL, Aoki C, Sudarmono P, Komoto M, Deng L, Shoji I,et al. Antiviral activity of extracts from Morinda citrifolia leaves and chlorophyll catabolites, pheophorbide a and pyropheophorbide a, against hepatitis C virus. Microbiol Immunol 2014;58:188-94.
11. Adianti M, Aoki C, Komoto M, Deng L, Shoji I, Wahyuni TS, et al. Anti-hepatitis C virus compounds obtained from Glycyrrhiza uralensis and other Glycyrrhiza species. Microbiol Immunol 2014;58:180-7.
12. Aoki C, Hartati S, Santi MR, Lydwina T, Firdaus R, Hanafi M, et al. Isolation and identification of substances with anti-hepatitis C virus activities from Kalanchoe pinnata. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:211-5.
13. Wahyuni TS, Widyawaruyanti A, Lusida MI, Fuad A, Soetjipto, Fuchino H, et al. Inhibition of hepatitis C virus replication by chalepin and pseudane IX isolated from Ruta angustifolia leaves. Fitoterapia 2014;99:276-83.
14. Wu JG, Peng W, Yi J, Wu YB, Chen TQ, Wong KH, et al. Chemical composition, antimicrobial activity against Staphylococcus aureus and a pro-apoptotic effect in SGC-7901 of the essential oil from Toona sinensis (A. Juss.) Roem. leaves. J Ethnopharmacol 2014;154:198-205.
15. Hsieh TJ, Tsai YH, Liao MC, Du YC, Lien PJ, Sun CC, et al. Anti-diabetic properties of non-polar Toona sinensis Roem extract prepared by supercritical-CO2 fluid. Food Chem Toxicol 2012;50:779-89.
16. Chen HM, Wu YC, Chia YC, Chang FR, Hsu HK, Hsieh YC, et al. Gallic acid, a major component of Toona sinensis leaf extracts, contains a ROS-mediated anti-cancer activity in human prostate cancer cells. Cancer Lett 2009;286:161-71.
17. Yang MS, Hu SM, Kong LY, Luo J. B-seco-29-nor-limonoids from the stem barks of Toona ciliate var. Yunnanensis. Tetrahedron 2015;10:8472-7.
18. Zhang W, Li C, You LJ. Structural identification of compounds from Toona sinensis leaves with antioxidant and anticancer activities. J Funct Foods 2014;10:427-35.
19. Jain SK, Pemberton PW, Smith A, McMahon RF, Burrows PC, Aboutwerat A, et al. Oxidative stress in chronic hepatitis C: Not just a feature of late stage disease. J Hepatol 2002;36:805-11.
20. Hsu WC, Chang SP, Lin LC, Li CL, Richardson CD, Lin CC, et al. Limonium sinense and gallic acid suppress hepatitis C virus infection by blocking early viral entry. Antiviral Res 2015;118:139-47.
21. Kubo I, Masuoka N, Xiao P, Haraguchi H. Antioxidant activity of dodecyl gallate. J Agric Food Chem 2002;50:3533-9.
22. Rasool MK, Sabina EP, Ramya SR, Preety P, Patel S, Mandal N, et al. Hepatoprotective and antioxidant effects of gallic acid in paracetamol-induced liver damage in mice. J Pharm Pharmacol 2010;62:638-43.
23. Hamed MM, Refahy LA, Abdel-Aziz MS. Assessing the bioactivity and antioxidative properties of some compounds isolated from Abutilon hirtum Lam.). Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:333-40.
24. Zuo GY, Li ZQ, Chen LR, Xu XJ. In vitro anti-HCV activities of Saxifraga melanocentra and its related polyphenolic compounds. Antivir Chem Chemother 2005;16:393-8.
25. Govea-Salas M, Rivas-Estilla AM, RodrÃguez-Herrera R, Lozano-SepÃºlveda SA, Aguilar-Gonzalez CN, Zugasti-Cruz A, et al. Gallic acid decreases hepatitis C virus expression through its antioxidant capacity. Exp Ther Med 2016;11:619-24.
26. Lee JH, Bae SY, Oh M, Seok JH, Kim S, Chung YB, et al. Antiviral effects of black raspberry (Rubus coreanus) seed extract and its polyphenolic compounds on norovirus surrogates. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 2016;80:1196-204.
27. Enkhtaivan G, Maria John KM, Ayyanar M, Sekar T, Jin KJ, Kim DH. Anti-influenza (H1N1) potential of leaf and stem bark extracts of selected medicinal plants of South India. Saudi J Biol Sci 2015;22:532-8.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.