SYNTHESIS, CHARACTERIZATION, AND ANTIBACTERIAL STUDY OF ZINC OXIDE-GRAPHENE NANOCOMPOSITES
Objectives: A novel facile synthesis of zinc oxide (ZnO) and zinc-graphene oxide nanocomposites (ZnGONC) was achieved by modified sol-geltechnique for their pharmaceutical and therapeutic use.
Materials and Methods: Spherical, crystalline, defect-free Zinc oxide nanoparticles (ZnO NPs) with diameter 70-90 nm were synthesized by modifiedsol-gel technique. Reduced graphene oxide was synthesized by modified Hummers method. ZnGONC were synthesized by in situ method. The crystallinenature, size, shape, and dimensions of the NPs, graphene oxide, and nanocomposites were studied by X-ray diffraction method. Transmission electronmicroscopy analysis was carried out to examine the morphology of NPs and nanocomposites.
Results: Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy analysis confirms that the ZnO NPs are surrounded by oxygen and silicon atoms. Antibacterialactivity of ZnO NPs and ZnGONC was investigated against Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria. Zone of inhibition shown by ZnO NPs andZnGONC was found to be higher than six investigated standard antibiotics.
Conclusion: Synthesized ZnO NPs and nanocomposites can be used as antibacterial agents. This eco-friendly method of synthesis of ZnO NPs andZnGONC could be a viable solution for industrial applications in the future and therapeutic needs.
2. Chan WC, Nie S. Quantum dot bioconjugates for ultrasensitive nonisotopic detection. Science 1998;281(5385):2016-8.
3. Alivisatos AP. Semiconductor clustures, nanocrystal, and quantum dots. Science 1996;271(5251):933.
4. Chan WC, Maxwell DJ, Gao X, Bailey RE, Han M, Nie S. Luminescent quantum dots for multiplexed biological detection and imaging. Curr Opin Biotechnol 2002;13(1):40.
5. Wu X, Liu H, Liu J, Haley KN, Treadway JA, Larson JP, et al. Quantum dots for live cells. Nat Biotechnol 2003;21:41.
6. Brigger I, Dubernet C, Couvreur P. Nanoparticles in cancer therapy and diagnosis. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 2002;54(5):631-51.
7. Forestier F, Gerrier P, Chaumard C, Quero AM, Couvreur P, Labarre C. Effect of nanoparticle-boundampicillin on the survival of Listeria monocytogenes in mouse peritoneal macrophages. Antimicrob Chemother 1992;30(2):173-9.
8. Sondi I, Siiman O, Koester S, Matijevic E. Preparation of aminodextran-CdS nanoparticle complexes and biologically active antibody-aminodextran-CdS nanoparticle conjugates. Langmuir 2000;16(7):3107-18.
9. Siiman O, Matijevic E, Sondi I. Semiconductor nanoparticles for analysis of blood cell populations and methods of making same. U.S. Patent 6235540 B1.
10. Allaker RP. The use of nanoparticles to control oral biofilm formation. J Dent Res 2010;89(11):1175-86.
11. Morones JR, Elechiguerra JL, Camacho A, Holt K, Kouri JB, RamÃrez JT, et al. The bactericidal effect of silver nanoparticles. Nanotechnology 2005;16:2346-53.
12. Sangeetha G, Rajeshwari S, Venckatesh R. Green synthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticlesby aloe barbadensis miller leaf extract: Structure and optical properties. Mat Res Bull 2011;46(12):2560-6.
13. Rouhi J, Mahmud S, Naderi N, Ooi CH, Mahmood MR. Physical properties of fish gelatin-based bio-nanocomposite films incorporated with ZnO nanorods. Nanoscale Res Lett 2013;8:364.
14. Applerot, Wiberg E, Holleman AF. Inorganic Chemistry. Vol. 22. Amsterdam: Elsevier; 2009. p. 24-34. Brayner, Basu. Elsevier; 2006. p. 1225-9.
15. Novoselov KS, Geim AK, Morozov SV, Jiang D, Katsnelson MI, Grigorieva IV, et al. Two-dimensional gas of massless dirac fermions in graphene. Nature 2005;438(706):197-200.
16. Li X, Wang X, Zhang L, Lee S, Dai H. Chemically derived, ultra smooth graphene nanoribbon semiconductors. Science 2008;319(5867):1229-32.
17. Stankovich S, Dikin DA, Dommett GH, Kohlhaas KM, Zimney EJ, Stach EA, et al. Graphene-based composite materials. Nature 2006;442(7100):282-6.
18. Xiao W, Zhang YH, Liu BT. Raspberrylike SiO2@reduced graphene oxide@AgNP composite microspheres with high aqueous dispersity and excellent catalytic activity. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 2005;7(11):6041-6. 19. Xiao W, Zhang Y, Tian L, Liu H, Liu B, Pu Y. Facile synthesis of reduced graphene oxide/titania compositehollow microspheres based on sonication-assisted interfacialself-assembly of tiny graphene oxide sheets and the photocatalytic property. J Alloys Compounds 2016;665(25):21-30.
20. Schedin F, Geim AK, Morozov SV. Detection of individual gas molecules adsorbed on graphene. Nat Mater 2007;6(9):652-5.
21. Liao KH, Lin YS, Macosko CW, Haynes CL. Cytotoxicity of graphene oxide and graphene in human erythrocytes and skin fibroblasts. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 2011;3(7):2607-15.
22. Ruiz ON, Fernando KA, Wang B, Brown NA, Luo PG, McNamara ND, et al. Graphene oxide: A nonspecific enhancer of cellular growth. ACS Nano 2011;5(10):8100-7.
23. Kavitha T, Gopalan AI, Lee KP, Park SY. Glucose sensing, photocatalytic and antibacterial properties of graphene-ZnO nanoparticle hybrids. Carbon 2012;50(8):2994-3000.
24. Sangwan P, Kumar H. Synthesis, characterization, and antibacterial activities of chromium oxide nanoparticles against Klebsiella pneumonia. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10(2):1-4.
25. Sangwan P, Kumar H, Purewal SS. Antibacterial activity of chemically synthesized chromium oxide nanoparticles against enterococcus Faecalis. Int J Adv Technol Eng Sci 2016;4(8):550-6.
26. Kumar H, Bhawana. Synthesis of metal nanoparticles & their use in electrochemical biosensors for the detection of microbes. Int J Ad Res Sci Eng 2016;5(8):751-61.
27. Rani R, Kumar H, Salar RK, Purewal SS. Antibacterial activity of copper oxide nanoparticles against gram-negative bacterial strain synthesized by reverse micelle route. Int J Pharm Res Dev 2014;6(1):72-8.
28. Kumar H, Manisha, Sangwan P. Synthesis & characterization of MnO2 nanoparticles using co-precipitation technique. Int J Chem Chem Eng 2013;3(3):155-60.
29. Kumar H, Rani R. Structural characterization of silver nanoparticles synthesized by microemulsion route. Int J Eng Innov Technol 2013;3(3):344-8.
30. Kumar H, Rani R. Structural and optical characterization of ZnO nanoparticles synthesized by microemulsion route. Int Lett Chem Phys Astron 2013;14:26-36.
31. Hummers WS, Offeman RE. Preparation of graphitic oxide. J Am Chem Soc 1958;80(6):1339-9.
32. Bhatta P, Deepthib S, Kumarb CH, Jha A. Facile synthesis, spectral studies, DFT calculations and biological activities of novel Ni (ii), Cu (ii), and Pd (ii) complexes of thiadiazole analogs. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9(7):185-95.
33. Rohit M, Showkat RM, Saima A. Polymeric nanoparticles for improved bioavailability of cilnidipine. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9(4):129-39.
34. Murugesan S, Bhuvaneswari S, Sivamurugan V. Green synthesis, characterization of silver nanoparticles of a marine red alga Spyridia fusiformis and their antibacterial activity. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9(5):192-7.
35. Safdar MH, Hasan H, Anees M, Hussain Z. Folic acid-conjugated doxorubicin-loaded photosensitizing manganese ferrite nanoparticles: Synthesis, characterization and anticancer activity against human cervical carcinoma cell line (HELA). Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9(5):60-7.